It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Creating unforgettable games across 4 decades is quite a challenge. Yet Nihon Falcom, the studio responsible for RPG hit series like The Legend of Heroes and Ys, still manages to live up to this tradition. Upon the 40th anniversary of the Nihon Falcom foundation, we’ve decided to ask Mr. Toshihiro Kondo, the president of the company, a few questions about its core philosophy and creative process.

Nihon Falcom is one of the oldest video game companies in the world. How does it feel to carry 40 years of fascinating tradition on your shoulders – does responsibility sometimes outshine the fun of creating magnificent video games?

Toshihiro Kondo: I personally feel it's good to both value tradition as well as take on new challenges. The advantages of working with a series that has been built up and refined to the degree this one has, are significant. But games are not a traditional craft, so that alone is not enough to keep things going. We need to keep changing. Facing new challenges can also have a positive impact on a series. That said, we don't see keeping the series going as a responsibility or an obligation. We keep it going because that’s what we want to do.

Series like The Legend of Heroes and Ys go way back with many installments being instant hits among RPG fans. What’s Nihon Falcom’s recipe for creating long-lasting game series?

We do everything that we possibly can to the best of our abilities with each and every game. I think it's safe to say that game companies all over the world are doing the same, but the first thing to consider is that there will never be adequate time or budget available for any title. But we can take pride in the fact that we always give it our all, even under strict conditions, which means we have absolutely no need for regrets. "Don't spend too much time, but don't cut corners" is one of our mottos.

If you could choose two of your favorite characters from the Nihon Falcom games which ones would that be and why?

That's a tough one because there are so many, but if I were forced to choose, I'd go with Estelle from "Trails In The Sky" because that was the first title I was involved with from the planning stage and she is the type of character that leaves a strong impression. Next would be Gueld from "Moonlight Witch" (the game that was the original inspiration for my joining Nihon Falcom), because, despite the fact that she made very few actual appearances in the game, she was a strong character with a powerful presence. I'm sure I will never forget her.

Nihon Falcom is renowned across the world for the attention it devotes to each of the games’ music scores. Can you tell us more about how Falcom Sound Team jdk works whenever a new project is involved?

Jdk actually has no fixed process. They simply abide by three general rules when composing music: "Create a melody that makes you hum that you cannot forget once you listen to it," "Have a hook that makes an impression at the right moment," and "Compose so that you can feel a beginning, a middle, and an end." Sometimes a team member will start writing a song even if it hasn’t been decided if they will be working on that project. While it can be easier to come up with the idea for a song if you know the actual scene in which it will be used and what the concept of the game will be, that can also be a bit limiting when your objective is to "create a genuinely good song."

One cannot help to think about famous anime series when playing Nihon Falcom’s titles. How is the story for each one of the games being crafted? Does such a process involve a whole writers’ room, like in a TV series, or is it a work of one author?

First, considerations related to the foundation of the main story are worked out by a single person. This is because the effort Nihon Falcom puts into storytelling is not based on budgets or the number of people involved, but on the strength of ideas. At the start, one person thinks seriously about the true meaning of everything without asking for input from anyone else. After that, several people then share the work of adding ideas and creating sub-episodes and NPC conversations.

Captivating stories, memorable characters, and music that will just stay with you for long – games from Nihon Falcom have all this and more. So don’t wait and jump at the occasion to play great RPG titles such as Zwei: The Arges Adventure, Xanadu Next, or Ys Origin on GOG.COM. Or maybe you already did and await the next game from Nihon Falcom? Let us know in the comments!
It's a pleasure to have Falcom games here on GOG. Being a place so attached to old school RPG games, it's the perfect match for the pioneers of the action-rpg genere.

I would like to take this opportunity to highlight some of the hidden gems that we have the opportunity to enjoy in western lands, because not everything is Trails or Ys. I am grateful for having the opportunity for playing games like Xanadu Next, (a love letter to Falcom's old school CRPG roots) or both entries of Zwei, one of their most charming franchises, with interesting mechanics and lots of fun. Gurumin is also another overlooked game, being a fun platformer with so much charm as well. Maybe the time and being capped at 30fps doesn't do enough justice to it ( as well as with Zwei) but i think it is a really fun game.

There are some of their games that didn't make it to the west yet, unfortunately. I wish that someday i could play Sorcerian Original and Forever or Dinosaur Resurection (both love letters to their old school rpg roots as well) or Brandish (there was a western release for the psp remake for Brandish 1, i wish it made it to PC some day, it was my first Dungeon Crawler and i loved it). It Would be grat to see The Legend of Heroes III, IV and V localized as well. It was very impressing for me to se a Real time with Tactical Pause combat game prior to Baldur's Gate back in the day. It is a great trilogy and the PC releases do a greater justice to it better than their psp (poorly localized) counterparts.

To sum up, Falcom's trajectory is full of gems, some of them bright and shinny, and some others (most of them, unfortunately) hidden and overlooked. I wish this 40th anniversary served as an opportunity for Falcom to revive some of that legacy that made them great . :D

Cheers!

PS: Oh, i forgot! i also hope to see more Falcom games DRM FREE here in the future! ( >_< )/º
Post edited March 08, 2021 by _-Sorcerian-_
Great to see a music related question. Falcom's music has always been excellent in the seven games of theirs that I have played so far (Trails in the Sky FC, SC, the third, Trails of Cold Steel I, II, III and Tokyo Xanadu ex+).

On a related note their music can be found on Spotify under Falcom Sound Team jdk. I don't know if all of their music is there but you can scroll for a long time going through it all. Some games have their Japanes name (eg. Sora No Kiseki is Trails in the Sky and Sen No Kiseki is Trails of Cold Steel),
wow! one of my favorite characters is geuld too!
It was very nice to see how the creative process for Nihon Falcom works.

The way your soul is put into these games I think is what makes them so memorable. Ever since I got into the Ys series starting with Ys Origin, I've never looked back. Continuing to play the rest of the Ys games and getting into the Trails series has been one of the best gaming experiences I've had. It is certainly due to the fantastic characters, music, and stories that are present through the games. They are unforgetable.

It feels difficult to find developers who are motivated in continuing series because they want to, and I think it is what makes the Ys, and Trails games stand out so much. I would also love to see Tokyo Xanadu continue from NIhon Falcom. It left a far stronger impression on me than expected and I will gladly continue to support all of these games as long as you continue with the philosophy you've developed all of your games with up to this point.

My favorite characters from Falcom games include Reah & Fenna from Ys, Estelle, Agate, Tita, Fie, and Sharon from the Legend of Heroes games, and Rion, Asuka, and Yuuki from Tokyo Xanadu.

You are on the list of my top favorite developers Nihon Falcom! Keep focusing on fantastic characters, music, and stories! I eagerly await Trails of Cold Steel IV to release on GOG along with Ys IX followed by the newer Trails Titles. I will continue to support them if they're brought here to GOG.
hellfire.231: I've just finished Ys IX last week, hopefully we'll see the Trails Crossbell games on GOG eventually.
Funny enough, the first Crossbell game (Zero no Kiseki) is easy enough to get. You can buy the Japanese PC version, DRM-free, from a Japanese download site called DLSite. Then, you can apply the Geofront patch (google it) to it to translate the text (the Geofront translation is really good, almost professional quality.) That's how I played

Just in case anyone is curious.
Happy Anniversary!
Sheershaw: ... Crossbell ...
Here is a direct link to Geofront and they also have Azure nearly done (and a final patch to Zero in progress).

Also, Zwei: Arges is the one Falcom game I don't really recommend (Zwei II is exellent, though) so it is a bit odd to see it featured, although I'd guess they figure it is the one that Falcom fans are least likely to have already. If anyone tries it and doesn't like it, don't let that stop you from playing Zwei II. Also, it uses an insecure video codec that is disabled by default in Windows 10 but can be easily reenabled while playing the game (at some possible risk to your system, although hopefully less risk than keeping it enabled all the time).

Many of the rest of Falcom's games make it to my all time favorites list. They have an excellent method of iterating on their designs and keeping a number of things similar while at the same time not making it feel like you are purchasing the same game again (and sometimes trying unique things). I suspect a lot of indie developers could learn a lot by playing a bunch of their games.

In my personal ranking of developers the only other one that might be close to the overall quality of Falcom is Nintendo, and I avoid them due to the DRM. So in practice they are my #1 by quite a bit (of course, it helps that the translation process also includes some bug fixes and enhancements, but that doesn't change the games all that much). I hope Falcom employees manage to keep some work/life balance, as they pump out a huge number of quality games relative to their size (62 employees in 2019 according to wikipedia).
Happy anniversary! I'm amaze how overlooked this studio is..
Loggien: Happy anniversary! I'm amaze how overlooked this studio is..
Maybe because some people don't like anime characters and such stuff? And are not interested in games in that matter?

I admit, that I do like the standard Studio Ghibli's animated movies and some european animated series (like Maya the Honey Bee, Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, Nils Holgerson etc.) from the 70s/80s, that were made by japanese studios like Nippon Animation, Toei and other. However I personally never liked the jRPG games.

Not to speak of all these pokemon stuff ...

The only japanese games, I ever tried were Castlevania, some Sonic games and super Mario 3 on SNES. That's all.
Here, were I live, the consoles were almost non existent or very expensive. Or you did need to

I first seen the YS games here and sometimes a sale promotion on Humble Store*
So Nihon Falcon studio was totally unknown to me. Anyway, it seems, their games are quite popular, at least in the western countries.

* they are selling some DMR free games, that are not available on GOG at all
<<
How is the story for each one of the games being crafted? Does such a process involve a whole writers’ room, like in a TV series, or is it a work of one author?

First, considerations related to the foundation of the main story are worked out by a single person. This is because the effort Nihon Falcom puts into storytelling is not based on budgets or the number of people involved, but on the strength of ideas. At the start, one person thinks seriously about the true meaning of everything without asking for input from anyone else. After that, several people then share the work of adding ideas and creating sub-episodes and NPC conversations.
>>

So true. True art is not made by committee. Yet others may contribute to enlarge the world, with the original creator making sure that there is a cohesive whole.
wildapple2021: However I personally never liked the jRPG games.
But then you say you never tried them? I wouldn't say that Falcom games are limited to people who like anime, more people who like lots of story in games. Since I hear they use a lot of anime tropes it might even be better to not already have seen a bunch of anime, although certainly some of the tropes are tropes outside anime as well :/. However, in general I'd say they are wonderful for anyone who likes a lot of story in their games, and less good (other than a few of the Ys games) for those who don't want to read much in games.

Grandia II is another quality JRPG available here. I particularly liked the fireside chats that Falcom eventually borrowed in Ys VIII.

wildapple2021: * they are selling some DMR free games, that are not available on GOG at all
What ones are available there but not here? I tried to look quick but their search is horrible. Unless you mean DRM-free games in general (or other JRPGs) not Falcom games.
Post edited March 10, 2021 by joveian
joveian: Grandia II is another quality JRPG available here. I particularly liked the fireside chats that Falcom eventually borrowed in Ys VIII.
Grandia 2 was delisted from GOG. Unfortunately, it was too late for me.
SpaceMadness: Grandia 2 was delisted from GOG. Unfortunately, it was too late for me.
:(.