It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Creating unforgettable games across 4 decades is quite a challenge. Yet Nihon Falcom, the studio responsible for RPG hit series like The Legend of Heroes and Ys, still manages to live up to this tradition. Upon the 40th anniversary of the Nihon Falcom foundation, we’ve decided to ask Mr. Toshihiro Kondo, the president of the company, a few questions about its core philosophy and creative process.

Nihon Falcom is one of the oldest video game companies in the world. How does it feel to carry 40 years of fascinating tradition on your shoulders – does responsibility sometimes outshine the fun of creating magnificent video games?

Toshihiro Kondo: I personally feel it's good to both value tradition as well as take on new challenges. The advantages of working with a series that has been built up and refined to the degree this one has, are significant. But games are not a traditional craft, so that alone is not enough to keep things going. We need to keep changing. Facing new challenges can also have a positive impact on a series. That said, we don't see keeping the series going as a responsibility or an obligation. We keep it going because that’s what we want to do.

Series like The Legend of Heroes and Ys go way back with many installments being instant hits among RPG fans. What’s Nihon Falcom’s recipe for creating long-lasting game series?

We do everything that we possibly can to the best of our abilities with each and every game. I think it's safe to say that game companies all over the world are doing the same, but the first thing to consider is that there will never be adequate time or budget available for any title. But we can take pride in the fact that we always give it our all, even under strict conditions, which means we have absolutely no need for regrets. "Don't spend too much time, but don't cut corners" is one of our mottos.

If you could choose two of your favorite characters from the Nihon Falcom games which ones would that be and why?

That's a tough one because there are so many, but if I were forced to choose, I'd go with Estelle from "Trails In The Sky" because that was the first title I was involved with from the planning stage and she is the type of character that leaves a strong impression. Next would be Gueld from "Moonlight Witch" (the game that was the original inspiration for my joining Nihon Falcom), because, despite the fact that she made very few actual appearances in the game, she was a strong character with a powerful presence. I'm sure I will never forget her.

Nihon Falcom is renowned across the world for the attention it devotes to each of the games’ music scores. Can you tell us more about how Falcom Sound Team jdk works whenever a new project is involved?

Jdk actually has no fixed process. They simply abide by three general rules when composing music: "Create a melody that makes you hum that you cannot forget once you listen to it," "Have a hook that makes an impression at the right moment," and "Compose so that you can feel a beginning, a middle, and an end." Sometimes a team member will start writing a song even if it hasn’t been decided if they will be working on that project. While it can be easier to come up with the idea for a song if you know the actual scene in which it will be used and what the concept of the game will be, that can also be a bit limiting when your objective is to "create a genuinely good song."

One cannot help to think about famous anime series when playing Nihon Falcom’s titles. How is the story for each one of the games being crafted? Does such a process involve a whole writers’ room, like in a TV series, or is it a work of one author?

First, considerations related to the foundation of the main story are worked out by a single person. This is because the effort Nihon Falcom puts into storytelling is not based on budgets or the number of people involved, but on the strength of ideas. At the start, one person thinks seriously about the true meaning of everything without asking for input from anyone else. After that, several people then share the work of adding ideas and creating sub-episodes and NPC conversations.

Captivating stories, memorable characters, and music that will just stay with you for long – games from Nihon Falcom have all this and more. So don’t wait and jump at the occasion to play great RPG titles such as Zwei: The Arges Adventure, Xanadu Next, or Ys Origin on GOG.COM. Or maybe you already did and await the next game from Nihon Falcom? Let us know in the comments!
high rated
One of the most underrated game developers in the world. Nihon Falcon is in my "TOP TIER" of the best developers of all time. Few know, but the concept of "action RPG" was born from their hands, from the renowned "YS I". This fact alone would be enough to highlight the importance of Falcon for the history of the games, but the ecosystem of its franchises takes everything to another level.

Whether playing YS, Legend of Heroes or Zwei, the fact is that all games, even with the low budget they have, are produced with great care, and this is presented in multiple ways, with the soundtrack and gameplay as the highlights memorable.

Long live Falcon, who above all respects PC gamers and treats GOG consumers as first-class citizens.
low rated
Patias: treats GOG consumers as first-class citizens.
Ys VIII on GOG certainly doesn't. GOG customers don't get Achievements for that game, but Steam customers do. Ergo, GOG customers are definitely being treated like second-class citizens on that one.

Mr. Kondo could easily fix that problem if he demanded that NISA bring the GOG version up to full parity with the Steam one. But it appears that's never going to happen, as this problem has already been festering for years, with no solution in sight.
high rated
Really nice to see GOG showing appreciation of Nihon Falcom. They have indeed some shared philosophy with CD Projekt, so i wish a long life to both studios.

I'm glad to see all their games (well the localized one at least) are here, despite minor issues, we have really great working titles and upcoming ones with Trails of Cold Steel IV and Ys IX, ofc with all the Durante goodness.

Well, there's still the missing pieces in the Kiseki series with the two Crosbell episodes but i'm still cofident they will happen, sooner or later.

I hope GOG x Falcom association will last long.
Post edited March 08, 2021 by Lebibik
Patias: treats GOG consumers as first-class citizens.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Ys VIII on GOG certainly doesn't. GOG customers don't get Achievements for that game, but Steam customers do. Ergo, GOG customers are definitely being treated like second-class citizens on that one.

Mr. Kondo could easily fix that problem if he demanded that NISA bring the GOG version up to full parity with the Steam one. But it appears that's never going to happen, as this problem has already been festering for years, with no solution in sight.
I understand, but NISA has never released games with achievements at GOG. Last year I myself requested that this happen on their official Discord, and I was answered. They said that all the next games launched at GOG would have achievements. This actually happened, with "The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III" being the first of them. If you check the game page, the next title in the YS series also warns you that you will have achievements.

I think it is unlikely that they will revisit old games (NISA, in this case), but at least the scenario has changed.
Post edited March 08, 2021 by Patias
low rated
Patias: I understand, but NISA has never released games with achievements at GOG. Last year I myself requested that this happen on their official Discord, and I was answered. They said that all the next games launched at GOG would have achievements. This actually happened, with "The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III" being the first of them. If you check the game page, the next title in the YS series also warns you that you will have achievements.

I think it is unlikely that they will revisit old games (NISA, in this case), but at least the scenario has changed.
I agree it's good that the latest games from NISA have Achievements. But that still doesn't make it okay from them to continue leaving their older games on GOG without them.

I also don't agree that it has nothing to do with Falcom. Falcom controls their IP and therefore could easily flex their muscles to get this problem fixed.

Mr. Kondo could say to NISA, for example, something like: either you give GOG customers full parity with the Steam version of Ys VIII, or else we will no longer be allowing your company to localize our games in the future.

Were that to happen, then NISA would be adding Achievements to Ys VIII mighty fast indeed, no doubt about it.

But since Falcom doesn't take any action on this issue, they are also at fault, and share co-blame for it with NISA.
Pretty nice run there! Congrats!
I may not have played all of the games in Nihon Falcom's catalogue, and I may not have liked some gameplay related elements from the early games, but I have nothing but the utmost respect for a company that has produced so many wonderful stories and gameplay experiences throughout four decades, they have been there in every single year of my life, in one way, or the other; thank you.
Ixamyakxim: Pretty nice run there! Congrats!
Yeah, a 4-decade run is pretty impressive for an independent studio.
Falcom is such an overlooked company. I really love their games, I had to import some of them back in the day to play. Before you had to use fan translation, I'm glad they all got officially translated even if unfortunately not all had the same quality of the fan translation (I'm looking at you NISA). Oh, and the music of those games, right on point. 40 years, such a great time.
I really hope they return to develop mainly on pc.
Personally, while I play most of my Falcom games on Steam, I cant wait for the next titles! I originally got Ys 1 and 2 here, then on steam during a sale. Safe to say Ys is now one of my favorite franchises, and I eagerly await Ys IX to come out!

The Article was a wonderful insight to the design philosophy of such a legendary developer that I think has well and truly stood the test of time, just as much as their games have. growing up, I only had Wanderers from Ys on SNES, and never knew about Ys 1 and 2 until much later. Having gone back to play them, and the other Ys titles, I can see why Falcom is held in such a high regard. The gameplay is fun and intuitive, the Characters feel lively, and the Music... my god, the music is absolutely stunning!

It'd be one long, LONG post to describe all my emotions about the company, and how they've made some of the best RPG's I've played outside Final Fantasy or Breath of Fire, so I'll sum it all up.

Falcom has 40 years under their belts for a reason. Their games, and indeed they themselves, stand the test of time.
Ixamyakxim: Pretty nice run there! Congrats!
Indeed. Four decades means that they have been there since the dawn of the industry, actually. Congratulations to Nihon Falcom! May you keep making great games in the future!!
I've just finished Ys IX last week, hopefully we'll see the Trails Crossbell games on GOG eventually.

I hope that GOG continues partnership with Falcom, I discovered Sky FC here on GOG back in 2014. :-)

Lumanare: It'd be one long, LONG post to describe all my emotions about the company, and how they've made some of the best RPG's I've played outside Final Fantasy or Breath of Fire, so I'll sum it all up.
So true, one of my favourite developers of all time. Mr. Kondo is still deeply involved in game development, that's quite unusual for a CEO and one of the reasons why I appreciate him very much.
Currently playing Ys VIII (on my Vita), and it's a blast. Legend of Heroes is hard to even start, but I have bought them all and look forward to start playing them when my kids grow up and I have some more time on my hands (here's hoping!). ;)
Post edited March 08, 2021 by volcom.461
One of my favorite game developers!

Now I'd love to see a surprise English release of one of their games to celebrate this anniversary! Say like one of the more recent redone versions of Sorcerian. ;)