It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Telika: Good, bad, doesn't matter. Cheap tricks or clever tricks, I don't care.

Unrealistic horror supernatural efficient thingy. Like, uh, hmm...

What worked on me ? Okay, "The Shining" worked. "The exocist" works. "The grudge" did too, I admit, and so did "the ring". And "Darkness" and "Rec". Long ago, "Evil Dead" and "Prince of Darkness" terrified me, but nowadays I'm not sure.

Oh yeah "the changeling" and "communion" had also petrified me, somehow.

Is there anything recent, that might function on me ? I became a bit jaded. And gore itself (the "ewww" factor) tends to bore me.

But I need something to keep my attention away from reality for a while, and scary movies do it the most economic way.
Wraiths of Roanoke with Adrian Paul(the Highlander from the Highlander series). I found this movie, terrifying and grim...
sunshinecorp: Justin Bieber's Believe ALWAYS gives me nightmares.
Oh my god, there is a Justin Bieber movie?

"climbs up the tallest tree*
Emob78: The Thing. John Carpenter's 1982 version with Kurt Russell. The greatest monster horror film ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p35JDJLa9ec

Ninja'd. Sorry for the repeat. Go watch it again anyway. Damn fine movie.
I agree but I assumed Telika has already seen this movie. I find John Carpenter's The Thing, the most terrifying and grim movie out there.
Post edited September 10, 2014 by monkeydelarge
capile2: I'm not sure someone brought up this one before (after just 5 pages, I can't remember anymore...) but I think the remake of Evil Dead is very good.
I like very much the original but let's tell the truth, it was horror+comedy.
The remake? Not so much. It makes the original look like My Little Pony.
Breja: I hated it. And not because it's a remake, I liked some remakes and reboots as much or better than the originals, I'm mostly open minded about that. I hated it because it was neither funny nor scary. It was just disgusting. Plenty of gore, really hard to watch for me, I'm not into that, but that is not scary to me. I like horror in the more classic sense, something like Nosferatu (I've seen Herzog's version, not the orignal yet), Carpenter's Prince of Darkness or Del Toro's The Devil's Spine, and all of those I heartily recommend.

I like Coppola's Dracula a lot, but I don't think it captured what was best about the novel, the scary part when Dracula is out of the picture, we only follow characters oblivious to his existence witness the effects of actions, the signs of his presence. It was that shadow of his, falling on everything when he himself is not seen that makes him so scary and the book still so good.

To me "terrifying" is all about the atmosphere, about what you DON'T show, or at least what you only show rarely, and most of the time just suggest, only show enough of to let the presence of whatever horror lurks in the dark known. It's the difference between looking at a bucket of blood, and having to spend a night alone in an old house on the moore knowing a killer escaped from a nearby prison yesterday.
and that is why alien is a horror movie and not just a scifi movie
its a gothic cathederal and ahaunted house movie rolled in to one with some disturbing giger imagery

1963's haunting is also ina similair less violent vein

and you do really need to see the 1922 nosferatu its in the public domain these days and is all over youtube and its a tour de force of atmosphere and imgery
it still works despite being 92 years old

and herzog's versions isnt really so much a remake as an off spring it takes the same idea and then runs with it in a different direction
the orlok in the 78 movie is pitiable and tragic
the orlok in the 22 movie is a creepy monster who is still terrifying
I believe I am the first to mention it:

the <span class="bold">Poltergeist</span> series is very good.

The first one in particular. It is an old movie, from 1982, but that old lady alone creeped me out. And she was one of the good guys! :D
Post edited September 10, 2014 by mantarrochen
tinyE: I also just re-watched Grave Encounters which while being a HUUUUUGE Blair Witch rip off was actually WAAAAAAAY better than the Blair Witch.
That's not hard to do. Blair Witch was just horrible.
Awwww, all my first choices were taken! So a couple that weren't mentioned yet:

Reincarnation - 2005 Japanese horror film written & directed by Takashi Shimizu (Ju-On, Grudge); rather chilling at times

Diabolique (Les diaboliques) - 1955 French film that for some reason still sticks with me. Not too terrifying, but still a classic scene nonetheless.

Also, I found the following terrifying, but has a much higher gore index than what you might be looking for (apologies if these were already mentioned) To clarify: these didn't terrify me based on gore, but the idea of it actually happening in real life.

Hostel

Human Centipede

I hope all our suggestions "scare" away the reality :-)
In my eyes Hostel was a bad movie. Stay clear of it if you ask me.
I personally enjoyed The Cabin in the Woods, The Conjuring and Insidious.
Breja: I hated it. And not because it's a remake, I liked some remakes and reboots as much or better than the originals, I'm mostly open minded about that. I hated it because it was neither funny nor scary. It was just disgusting. Plenty of gore, really hard to watch for me, I'm not into that, but that is not scary to me. I like horror in the more classic sense, something like Nosferatu (I've seen Herzog's version, not the orignal yet), Carpenter's Prince of Darkness or Del Toro's The Devil's Spine, and all of those I heartily recommend.

I like Coppola's Dracula a lot, but I don't think it captured what was best about the novel, the scary part when Dracula is out of the picture, we only follow characters oblivious to his existence as they witness the effects of his actions, the signs of his presence. It was that shadow of his, falling on everything when he himself is not seen that makes him so scary and the book still so good.

To me "terrifying" is all about the atmosphere, about what you DON'T show, or at least what you only show rarely, and most of the time just suggest, only show enough of to let the presence of whatever horror lurks in the dark known. It's the difference between looking at a bucket of blood, and having to spend a night alone in an old house on the moore knowing a killer escaped from a nearby prison yesterday.
Understand.
By the way. Since you have seen the remake (Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht), see the original too.
And then watch Shadow of the Vampire (with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe). But just watch this one if you saw the original Nosferatu. :)

I like Coppola's Dracula a lot, but I don't think it captured what was best about the novel, the scary part when Dracula is out of the picture, we only follow characters oblivious to his existence as they witness the effects of his actions, the signs of his presence. It was that shadow of his, falling on everything when he himself is not seen that makes him so scary and the book still so good.

capile2: Understand.
By the way. Since you have seen the remake (Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht), see the original too.
And then watch Shadow of the Vampire (with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe). But just watch this one if you saw the original Nosferatu. :)
all movies i recommended at least twice now ;p
How about Pan's Labyrinth
Atrotcious (2010) is a spanish found footage film that's surprisingly creepy.

The Mother's Day (2010) remake is a tense home invasion style horror film.

Sauna (2008) is a cryptic historic Finnish horror movie.

The New Daughter (2009) is an over looked but effective horror movie; nevermind Kevin Costner helming it's better than you'd guess.

Tourist Trap (1979) is really cool sort of House of Wax and Texas Chainsaw Massacre hybrid.

Roman Polanski's Repulsion is really good.

V/H/S/2 has some intense segments but might venture too far into WTF mode.

The Blair Witch Project scares me, but I think that's too much a niche film that might not strike fear in everyone.

Also seconding The Orphanage and Event Horizon.
Post edited September 11, 2014 by undeadcow
If you ever want to see a comedy that parodies "cabin" horror films, check out Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. I know you asked for terrifying films, but...
capile2: Understand.
snowkatt: all movies i recommended at least twice now ;p
It's because I like them so much that recommend just twice is not enough. XD
undeadcow: V/H/S/2 has some intense segments but might venture too far into WTF mode.
I completely forgot about V/H/S/2! I loved the first one more though. Still, it was hilarious to watch the second one with my friends and ask them if they would go and save their girlfriends if they were the ones in the cult compound. Man, the laughs I got out of that one.
Wishbone: Hmm, it might be, I wouldn't know. What I do know is that if someone does plan to watch The Exorcist, I recommend that they stay far away from the Director's Cut. It's the only version I've seen, and I turned it off after 45 minutes because it was boring as hell. I've heard people who have seen both versions say the same thing, stay away from the Director's Cut.
snowkatt: the directors cut is just too damn long
the orginal was fine as it is at 123 minutes

the directors cut just added 10 minutes of needless padding

event horizon still is a good movie though and deserves to be watched
Everytime I watch Event Horizon I think to myself these people must have been 40k fans, it's a situation that can happen in warp travel. Even the ship looks like it came from the Imperium of Mankind.