It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

^elitist
tinyE: ^elitist
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I assume from the time present it has descended into the standard forum wall off. "I believe X, because of this" - "well I believe Y because of this", each side presents its arguments without any hope that the other side will listen.

It's a beautiful symmetry, pointless, but I suspect it prevents people from being elsewhere, so in fact pointful.

However my main point of replying was to point out that being an elitist isn't actually necessarily a bad thing. They have in fact introduced most of the social reforms that we've all benefited from: Non racial descrimination, gay rights, womens rights, labour reform, pensions... Those elitists actually did quite a lot of good stuff.

Others were total bastards, but I personally wouldn't consider elitist to be a slur on my character.
tinyE: ^elitist
wpegg: I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I assume from the time present it has descended into the standard forum wall off. "I believe X, because of this" - "well I believe Y because of this", each side presents its arguments without any hope that the other side will listen.

It's a beautiful symmetry, pointless, but I suspect it prevents people from being elsewhere, so in fact pointful.

However my main point of replying was to point out that being an elitist isn't actually necessarily a bad thing. They have in fact introduced most of the social reforms that we've all benefited from: Non racial descrimination, gay rights, womens rights, labour reform, pensions... Those elitists actually did quite a lot of good stuff.

Others were total bastards, but I personally wouldn't consider elitist to be a slur on my character.
I meant it in the way that he talks down to every one. Mind you I'm sarcastic and harsh at times, but it is always done with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and no matter how different someone's belief system is than mine, it doesn't give me the right to address them as if they were below me.
tinyE: I meant it in the way that he talks down to every one. Mind you I'm sarcastic and harsh at times, but it is always done with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and no matter how different someone's belief system is than mine, it doesn't give me the right to address them as if they were below me.
I see, I think "condescending prick" was the term you were looking for. :)
After taking some time off, I just catched up with the last few pages and as I sadly suspected, there are always that people who are not affected and still attack and ridicule me, even so I said in the opening post "I have no problem with people that have other fews." I'm sorry for you guys, since my opinion must be so devastating to your health.

I have no proble mwith what real.geizterfahr said, but I think that GOG should have kept their principles even if that means that games like the ones from LucasArts would take longer to come here, but that would be a price I'm willing to pay.
Don't be silly, your views are not devistating to my health and I reesfasv ffgb gf uhhhhhhh ug vfajn vvfa ..........

..........Rosebud
throgh: Oh than I hope that refers also to you. Funny that you mentioning "satire" and therefore trying to bring reason for the obligatory comparison with automotives within a IT-specific discussion. Keep on going with that, perhaps one day it'll fit or even helps keeping idealistic people quiet. ;-) But I see: There is no further interest on the original point for this discussion. Just some more postings in an effort to be something like "funny" because they don't want to hear something ugly. Life goes on in the filter-bubble!
If you and OP desire less Monty Python references and less "automotive" satire and want to be taken more seriously instead, here is an earnest tip: Build your case around pragmatic logic and not around moral absolutism.
throgh: Oh than I hope that refers also to you. Funny that you mentioning "satire" and therefore trying to bring reason for the obligatory comparison with automotives within a IT-specific discussion. Keep on going with that, perhaps one day it'll fit or even helps keeping idealistic people quiet. ;-) But I see: There is no further interest on the original point for this discussion. Just some more postings in an effort to be something like "funny" because they don't want to hear something ugly. Life goes on in the filter-bubble!
awalterj: If you and OP desire less Monty Python references and less "automotive" satire and want to be taken more seriously instead, here is an earnest tip: Build your case around pragmatic logic and not around moral absolutism.
No problem with satire, but you get it? That's not the centre of this discussion. You are just reacting with no further arguments. And I'm not the only one having problems with lost principles of GOG.
awalterj: If you and OP desire less Monty Python references and less "automotive" satire and want to be taken more seriously instead, here is an earnest tip: Build your case around pragmatic logic and not around moral absolutism.
throgh: No problem with satire, but you get it? That's not the centre of this discussion. You are just reacting with no further arguments. And I'm not the only one having problems with lost principles of GOG.
With all do respect, I hardly consider a legitimate argument one based on terms, such as "principles", which is ambiguous at best. A principle is whatever each of us deems it to be for ourselves, not a concrete and finite concept.
Post edited October 10, 2015 by tinyE
throgh: No problem with satire, but you get it? That's not the centre of this discussion. You are just reacting with no further arguments. And I'm not the only one having problems with lost principles of GOG.
tinyE: With all do respect, I hardly consider a legitimate argument one based on terms, such as "principles", which is ambiguous at best. A principle is whatever each of us deems it to be for ourselves, not a concrete and finite concept.
You buy here, because you like the "package" you get presented by GOG. Right? (I just assume that for a moment)
I bought here, because I liked the package GOG presented (past tense). Then they abandoned 2/3 of their principles or if you want their foundation what made them special (this is how I see it). And the way they did, by just saying "we do it because we can" is their right, but my right is to boycott their shop, which I'm doing. You don't have to, but you can't tell me, that I cannot do it.
As a resident (but not a citizen) of the US, I'm well aware that GOG puts me through less bullshit than those from other countries.

The one principle that I really care about, which GOG has more or less stuck to well, is the lack of DRM. Buying ownable products instead of "services" is why GOG remains one of the few digital storefronts I still shop at. The whole thing with DEFCON is troublesome, but at least more than 99% of the things I buy here, I can download an installer for it that won't disappear or stop working if GOG suddenly dies. Another important thing to me is that they still have a degree of quality control, regarding releases (even if it's [url=http://www.gog.com/game/paranautical_activity]perfect by any means).

One principle that I find important, which GOG is utterly failing at though, is non-censorship. I think it's complete bullshit that an international storefront in Poland won't let Germans buy a digital copy of Wolf 3D, or let Australians buy Hotline Miami 2 - especially while they still sell Postal 2 to New Zealanders. The continued lack of an uncut version of Fallout also irks me - and their decision to not allow Hatred on the store is a bit hypocritical, considering the kind of games they've released before and since.

I'd say GOG is far from perfect, but it hasn't yet mutated into the cancerous, cynical, apathetic wretch that Steam has become - so for the time being, I'm okay with this storefront.
Post edited October 11, 2015 by pbaggers
darthspudius: um... bye??
Let me add my

+1
darthspudius: um... bye??
qwixter: Let me add my

+1
Why thank you Santa...
qwixter: Let me add my

+1
darthspudius: Why thank you Santa...
That's Zeus you moron! :P

Or maybe it's Dumbledore.
darthspudius: Why thank you Santa...
tinyE: That's Zeus you moron! :P

Or maybe it's Dumbledore.
It came from https://www.gog.com/game/zeus_poseidon. So Zeus is the correct answer. I picked it because it was an old looking guy.
Post edited October 11, 2015 by qwixter