It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Some people want Good Old Games back, talking about classics and principles and shit.
E_A: Especially if it's "principles" that GoG never championed but which the posters all by themselves :P.
It's easier to project. If the person has principles that they conveniently sweep under the rug whenever a sale comes along and that game they really really really want is available, then they might have to look at themselves and realize their "principle" can be bought and sold for something as piddly and inconsequential as a big enough discount.

But, if it's GOG forsaking their principles, the person no longer has to deal with tricky, messy issues like the possibility that they're just a jackass with piss-poor impulse control. At that point, they can gibber at length while maintaining the role of a loyal supporter being betrayed by the institution they put all their trust in.

It's no longer their failure, it's all GOG's fault. They're just a misled, mistreated victim.
Makes perfect sense if you're able to bullshit yourself so hard that you believe it.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by CarrionCrow
v1989: The problem is you, german players(well some part of you), are barking under the wrong tree.
You should fight with goverment about changing this law
Why do some of you always think that WE (the gamers) could do anything? We don't have the money, we don't have the lawyers, we don't have the lobby. Only developers and publishers are able to fight the censorship in Germany. But to give you an example: a german publisher for movies (here blu-ray) fought about roughly a year in court to be able to sell "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in Germany. The publisher won the fight but it was extremely hard and costley. So most publishers would rather make special censored German versions (because Germany still IS a big market) than to fight the law. Believe it or not but the fight against censorship in Germany can only be won if games were finally considered to be art and people finally realize that there never in life was one game responsible alone for something bad anybody did. "Normal" (whatever that means) people know what's a game (or a movie) and what'd reality.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by MarkoH01
high rated
I boycott GOG all the time. Until they have something I want for a price I want. Then I temporarily relieve the boycott and then put it back up right away.

Seriously, though, GOG is a business and their model did get watered down to stay relevant and competitive. The regional pricing is, IMHO, disgusting. But it's a fact of life now. We get a bunch of titles we wouldn't get otherwise b/c of regional pricing. And thems is just the facts.

GOG used to be something that it isn't today. Today, I think GOG is:

- fun
- 1st stop place for good indies and old titles
- DRM-free
- Easy-to-use
- Great community (with one jerk who has 500 aliases :D)
- low-prices

We can argue and whine etc. If you don't like it, shop elsewhere. You're not going to find anything better, though.

Also, we're talking about buying video games. They're ridiculously cheap these days. You can have a backlog of more games than a person can play in their lifetime for a few hundred bucks. So figure out what you want to play, buy it, play it, enjoy it, repeat. It's easy.
andysheets1975: "You've changed, GOG! You used to be all about the music!!!"
March 3rd 1952: Mad magazine publishes it's second issue.

March 4th 1952: Mad magazine gets it's first letter complaining that the mag is just not as good as it used to be.
low rated
Tallima: I boycott GOG all the time. Until they have something I want for a price I want. Then I temporarily relieve the boycott and then put it back up right away.

Seriously, though, GOG is a business and their model did get watered down to stay relevant and competitive. The regional pricing is, IMHO, disgusting. But it's a fact of life now. We get a bunch of titles we wouldn't get otherwise b/c of regional pricing. And thems is just the facts.

GOG used to be something that it isn't today. Today, I think GOG is:

- fun
- 1st stop place for good indies and old titles
- DRM-free
- Easy-to-use
- Great community (with one jerk who has 500 aliases :D)
- low-prices

We can argue and whine etc. If you don't like it, shop elsewhere. You're not going to find anything better, though.

Also, we're talking about buying video games. They're ridiculously cheap these days. You can have a backlog of more games than a person can play in their lifetime for a few hundred bucks. So figure out what you want to play, buy it, play it, enjoy it, repeat. It's easy.
Good post...

And I'd like to reiterate that GoG's "watered down" regional pricing (outside of cheap Russian prices) is mostly cosmetic. Since one is given a store credit if one pays more, assuming one ever buys another game in the next year, one isn't paying the regional pricing.

Personally, I thought it a clever way to appease the publishers who were worried GoG was seen as undercutting competitors, while still providing "fair pricing" worldwide. It's kinda like some of those cheap hotel sites, or other retailers where they aren't allowed to advertise the sale price, you have to put the item in your cart to see the price.

Should GoG drop the "fair pricing" policy, then you have a principle clearly dropped, but until then, at least to me, the general principle is still intact with a little bit of compromise for the publisher's benefit.
tinyE: March 3rd 1952: Mad magazine publishes it's second issue.

March 4th 1952: Mad magazine gets it's first letter complaining that the mag is just not as good as it used to be.
"its"
tinyE: March 3rd 1952: Mad magazine publishes it's second issue.

ZFR: "its"
Every time I see you in here I get Spandau Ballet stuck in my head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU
tinyE: Every time I see you in here I get Spandau Ballet stuck in my head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU
I do miss my gold bars.

I'm boycotting gog because of a principle: ****ed up avatars. Back in the golden days GOG used to stand for solid avatars that can be changed any time.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by ZFR
CarrionCrow: A question for anyone who might be willing and able to help me out. How do you say "attention whore" in German, exactly? =)
Politiker
my oldest son's school recently got a new principal and i did not boycott gog because of it
Post edited October 05, 2015 by fortune_p_dawg
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/defcons_drm_is_still_active_support_doesnt_give_a_crap

this is still a relevant thread, has not been properly addressed and is still on sale.

This is a principle. I watch Gog with great interest these days because I know sooner or later money > principle.
john_hatcher: First up, this is my personal opinion on GOG and their behaviour in the last 1-2 years. If you do not agree with me and still go on buying games and movies from GOG, it's fine with me, but please don't tell me how I 'm wrong, because I see it that way and this is my only way to express it. I also know that GOG will not change their mind, but this will not stop me from my boycott. Maybe some people will follow, but who knows what might happen then. (Aye, one might dream(

In short term ... Not buying from GOG again until they go back to their original principles.

Who would have thought, that nearly all Kickstarter games get a drm free release?
Who would have thought, that games like Fallout or Metro 2033 or Star Wars or Monkey Island or Baldur's Gate or Anno or or or get a drm free release?

So this is my only way to show that I'm not content with the changes GOG made.

Regards,

John

P.S.: I will keep updating this thread with every new game I would have bought.
P.P.S.: I'm not going out silently, because I really liked the original idea of GOG.
I do not quite agree with you, but I give u +1 because anything even remotely "gog.com cirtical" tends to get negative knee-jerk reaction.

We for the main love gaming here, so it is understandable - but say you drive WV, and love yer car.

You still approve of the defeat technology falsifying emission data? Not, surely, yet u are probably right in thinking that everyone in the industry does it....

Just food for thought - we do appreciate the exposure, surely, but it does not mean writing off VW wholesale, surely?

As to the OP - I do realistically think we must accept regional pricing if we are to wish that gaming becomes more universally accessible.

What is a reasonable price in Europe (deal or no deal) is most likely very expensive in regions such as Africa or Far East etc. It may seem like spitting in the eyes of the "original" crowd - but I wish you could see it as allowing less privileged to access gaming.

This said, I will not pay 20+ currency for Morrowind because I bought this title directly prior to Bethesda going into Steam - and be this +10 years of release, going Steam after initial release is bait and switch in my books.
As long as GOG does not abandon the DRM free principle, I am fine with it.
v1989: The problem is you, german players(well some part of you), are barking under the wrong tree.
You should fight with goverment about changing this law
MarkoH01: Why do some of you always think that WE (the gamers) could do anything? We don't have the money, we don't have the lawyers, we don't have the lobby. Only developers and publishers are able to fight the censorship in Germany. But to give you an example: a german publisher for movies (here blu-ray) fought about roughly a year in court to be able to sell "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in Germany. The publisher won the fight but it was extremely hard and costley. So most publishers would rather make special censored German versions (because Germany still IS a big market) than to fight the law. Believe it or not but the fight against censorship in Germany can only be won if games were finally considered to be art and people finally realize that there never in life was one game responsible alone for something bad anybody did. "Normal" (whatever that means) people know what's a game (or a movie) and what'd reality.
As you are not only the gamers, but also you are CITIZENS, who can CHOOSE THE GOVERMENT.
If you german gamers and german publishers and developers join hands and become united and big force, you would be able change the law.
GOG as company from outside the Germany can't do anything in this matter as german goverment would simply block them foverer.
MarkoH01: I know you (a bit) and I believe you that you meant no offense - so none taken - just some things clarified :) Unfortunately since there is no thing as a "German costume" in general I am not surprised that google would lead to the hits you got :)
No such thing as an Australian costume either, although there are certain iconic outfits - bushman, bogan(lad or chav elsewhere) suit (I believe this plague is worldwide now)...the indigenous population of Australia have lived here the longest and were generally naked, so that would be the most official Australian costume :D