It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

E_A: Too expensive and work-intensive for old or non-top-tier titles frankly. Media lawyers don't come cheap.
PaterAlf: It might cost some thousand dollars, but on the other hand they would get access to a market of several million gamers again. And additional positive publicity which might be even more important.
How many people do you think will buy "Unspielbaren, alten Schrott, von dem man ja Augenkrebs bekommt! Und dann wollen die auch noch 18 Euro dafür!!!"? You know how Germans are. People who really want Quake 3 already have Quake 3, because they're older than 30 and know how to order a game from another country.
A question for anyone who might be willing and able to help me out. How do you say "attention whore" in German, exactly? =)
CarrionCrow: A question for anyone who might be willing and able to help me out. How do you say "attention whore" in German, exactly? =)
There's no good translation for it. You could say "Er sucht bloß nach Aufmerksamkeit", which means "He's just looking for attention". But you can say attention whore to a German too. Most Germans know what it means. I've seen this on quite a few German forums ;)

ps. *lol* I just threw "attention whore deutsch" into google search. First result was google translate and... it suggestet "Aufmerksamkeitsdirne" :D :D :D Sounds as absurd as "attention courtesan" would sound in English :P
Post edited October 04, 2015 by real.geizterfahr
real.geizterfahr: "Unspielbaren, alten Schrott, von dem man ja Augenkrebs bekommt! Und dann wollen die auch noch 18 Euro dafür!!!"?
Thanks for the laugh. XD
CarrionCrow: A question for anyone who might be willing and able to help me out. How do you say "attention whore" in German, exactly? =)
Most likely you would use an adjective like "aufmerksamkeitsgeil" or "aufmerksamkeitssüchtig" to describe the person.

There is the word "Rampensau" which is kind of similar but not used that much and has a different connotation.

Maybe "geltungssüchtiges Luder" is close but it would only apply to females.
Post edited October 04, 2015 by Piranjade
PaterAlf: It might cost some thousand dollars, but on the other hand they would get access to a market of several million gamers again. And additional positive publicity which might be even more important.
This is more a large company problem. They don't have someone who cares enough and they certainly won't hire someone for it. You might disagree with their reasoning but they won't be the first or last company making bad business calls out of inertia.
real.geizterfahr: "Unspielbaren, alten Schrott, von dem man ja Augenkrebs bekommt! Und dann wollen die auch noch 18 Euro dafür!!!"?
Grargar: Thanks for the laugh. XD
Google translate gives a quite useable translation for this one ;)

Unplayable, old junk, from which one yes gets eye cancer! And then even 18 Euros want it !!!

edit: Correct translation would be "Unplayable, old junk, from which you get eye cancer! And they even ask 18 Euros for it !!!"
Post edited October 04, 2015 by real.geizterfahr
Piranjade: Most likely you would use an adjective like "aufmerksamkeitsgeil" or "aufnmerksamkeitssüchtig" to describe the person.

There is the word "Rampensau" which is kind of similar but not used that much and has a different connotation.

Maybe "geltungssüchtiges Luder" is close but it would only apply to females.
Now attempting to say that in my head and already mutilating the crap out of it, I'm certain. No surprise there. -laughs-

Oh well. Regardless, thank you very much for helping me indulge my curiosity.
This might be interesting:
http://www.telemedicus.info/article/1911-SchwenkeMoeller-Infografik-zum-JMStV-Update.html
Post edited October 04, 2015 by MarkoH01
real.geizterfahr: How many people do you think will buy "Unspielbaren, alten Schrott, von dem man ja Augenkrebs bekommt! Und dann wollen die auch noch 18 Euro dafür!!!"?
Doesn't that apply for most of the old games GOG sells. And yet there seems to be a market for it.
real.geizterfahr: There's no good translation for it. You could say "Er sucht bloß nach Aufmerksamkeit", which means "He's just looking for attention". But you can say attention whore to a German too. Most Germans know what it means. I've seen this on quite a few German forums ;)

ps. *lol* I just threw "attention whore deutsch" into google search. First result was google translate and... it suggestet "Aufmerksamkeitsdirne" :D :D :D Sounds as absurd as "attention courtesan" would sound in English :P
Yeah well, didn't want to assume that everyone would know the English version just because it's English.

And that's why I don't use Google translate without expecting problems. But on the other hand, I'm liking the term "attention courtesan" just because it sounds odd. I could say that to Americans, and nine times out of ten they'd have no idea what it meant.

Also, noticing that the forum is behaving strangely. Some posts aren't showing up in threads until a while after they're posted. You posted before Piranjade did, but the thread didn't show it at all until maybe 20 minutes later.
Post edited October 04, 2015 by CarrionCrow
k4ZE106: Indexed does not automatically mean banned (as in illegal to own). It only means that it won't be sold over the counter and it can't be advertised. An example for a banned game would be Manhunt.
bombe_zwanzig: i know. but quake 2 isn't banned (beschlagnahmt), just indexed (indiziert) just like Postal.

edit: typo
Same goes for Wolfenstein by the way since it's been over 10yrs and the banned status is expired.
real.geizterfahr: How many people do you think will buy "Unspielbaren, alten Schrott, von dem man ja Augenkrebs bekommt! Und dann wollen die auch noch 18 Euro dafür!!!"?
PaterAlf: Doesn't that apply for most of the old games GOG sells. And yet there seems to be a market for it.
Yes, a world wide market and not a small German market ;)
E_A: -German law applies to GoG as long as they deliver to German costumers.
Tarnicus: So if you aren't wearing one of these (see attached photo), the law doesn't apply? Bugger no wonder the Australian version of these laws applies to me, given I wear this outfit(see other attached photo) daily :D
Oh that is such a cliche Tarnicus. Only Bavarians do look like the ones on your picture and only some of them. I am really sick of non Germans thinking that Germans are wearing Trachtenkleidung and that they are always drinking Bier and eating Bratwurst and Sauerkraut - it's just not true.
MarkoH01: Same goes for Wolfenstein by the way since it's been over 10yrs and the banned status is expired.
But it's banned based on the perpetual ban on Nazi symbolism being displayed for entertainment. That's a ban that is continuous, not say, a ban for exceptional violence.