It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
zeroxxx: [...]
Definitely not for everyone, but numbers speak louder than minority. And I mean minority for real.

Go compare Steam's Stardew Valley with GOG's. And that's just one example for something that has both versions (on Steam + GOG).

For Steam exclusive? Do I have to name Football Manager series? Or the continued sales of CS:GO?

You can choose to keep shutting your ears and eyes, but it won't hide the fact that Steam has bunch to offer for both developers and customers.
[...]
I don't see why you had to post this as a reply to me. Perhaps next time you chose to reply to something I said, you make an effort to actually address the content of my post, and if you don't understand it, ask for clarification, instead of just using it as a vehicle to make assumptions about me, and post whatever you want to say.
low rated
HypersomniacLive: I don't see why you had to post this as a reply to me. Perhaps next time you chose to reply to something I said, you make an effort to actually address the content of my post, and if you don't understand it, ask for clarification, instead of just using it as a vehicle to make assumptions about me, and post whatever you want to say.
I'll TL;DR my post,

I definitely agree with your statement of steam exclusive doesn't mean it top notch release always.

But your kind (who keep on insisting 'Steam is evil corp for DRM and/or killing market') is minority in grand scheme of things, so I wrote it plainly in my last sentence.
mobutu: yes, I'll give them my money when they release on gog ;)
Because your money means all profit, right?
Post edited June 28, 2016 by zeroxxx
zeogold: ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com
"GOG.com (formerly Good Old Games)"
ReynardFox: Formerly known as.

GOG does not officially have an acronym attached to it, it's merely a title. Good Old Games is a misnomer and no longer valid now that they support modern games and indies.

It's also why GOG needs to come up with a new acronym to legitimize the new name and to bury the old.
GOG now stands for "Geoblocking Of Games"
CARRiON.FLOWERS: Yes, many games are available DRM free. And many are not. Resident Evil, MGS 5, Dark Souls, Civilization, GTA 5, CS:GO, TF2, Left 4 Dead, DOTA 2, Company of Heroes 2, Skyrim, Fallout, Farcry, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Overwatch, Hearthstone... the list goes on. These are all AAA games that are not your generic COD or Assassin's Creed yearly release. The majority wants to play games, not worry about something being DRM free or not. If that were the case GOG's customer base would have grown x5 the rate then what it is now. There are different methods of DRM with varying degrees of annoyance. The majority sees Steam as one of the least annoying forms.

More often than not though, I want to sit down and play some Company of Heroes 2, or GTA 5, or jump into a game of Insurgency with friends. Steam lets me do that with no issues, and I'm not going to limit myself from the many awesome moments I've had personally.
This is pretty much what I was getting at. People don't want to play games that are not DRM-Free and that's great. But I'm not any less of a gamer or some braindead steam junkie because I choose not to limit my access to a hobby that I've been doing since the 80's. Everyone who is strong DRM-Free moans and complains about the anarchy that is Steam. People use Steam for two main reasons. Ease of use and accessibility. Convenience also factors in. For the vast vast majority of Steam users, the platform simply works. In 11+ years of using Steam I have never ever been denied access to any game I have ever purchased on there. Everyone decries the 'internet' part of steam. Well I can assure you that there have been times when I lost internet in that 11 years for some reason or another. Still didn't prevent me from playing anything as long as it wasn't a multiplayer only title.

Nobody is going to change their mind on Steam if they don't want to use it and that's fine. But at the same token you can't expect most people to just jump ship and start using something else (GoG) for no other reason other that 'STEAM IS EVIL'. Why do people think GoG has started to incorporate elements that are similar to Steam (Galaxy, using Steam's API, etc)?
Is it DRM positive? I don't play that.
Is it singleplayer steam only? I don't play that.
Is it censored? I don't play that.
Is it steam only multiplayer based game? I might consider playing it - but the only exception I've made so far - is DayZ. Nothing else.

There are so many new games I'd like to play and do not fit the categories above, that I don't have to feel sorry about missing games crippled by DRM and censoring.
zeroxxx: your kind is minority
zeroxxx: Because your money means all profit, right?
4 years ago it was a minority
3 years ago it was a minority
2 years ago it was a minority
1 year ago it was a minority
now is a minority

but there is a BIG difference: this minority has grown year after year, this minority is growing as we speak and this minority will grow to the point when it's no more a minority anymore but a pretty good chunk of the marketshare.

yes, the big stinky gorilla will not disappear nor die but because of the growing competition it will change, it'll be more clean, trimmed and civilised.

Unfortunately I remember you, you were a ssteam apologist years ago, still are and probably will still be their fanboi in the future. No evolution for you all this time.
But I refuse to have an argument with a blind ssteam troll like yourself who is so brainwashed in supporting an obvious monopol that can't see the simple fact that competition=good and monopol=bad for the consumer.
CARRiON.FLOWERS: The majority wants to play games, not worry about something being DRM free or not.
Exactly. That's why a lot of us wish DRM would go away. I'm not "worried" about it, it fucking annoys me and wastes my time when I have to deal with it. That's it.

CARRiON.FLOWERS: Consoles are fast becoming nothing but actual downgraded computers. That used to be a joke but it's honestly becoming a reality. With the announcement of games like Fallout 4 releasing mod capability on console and being able to upgrade your console like a computer.
Exactly my point. There's becoming less and less a difference between console and PC gaming. Except a good gaming PC costs 5x or more than a new console. So, if in either case you're going to end up with games you "semi-own", which rely on external servers to install or even play, well whats the benefit of doing that on your PC vs a console, other than somewhat better graphics (and the gap there seems to keep narrowing as well).

CARRiON.FLOWERS: You can mod your Steam games, so I don't understand what you're getting at here?
Well I'm sure this is just me then, but with my limited time I would never spend time modding out a game I don't truly own, that could become unplayable at some point cuz of something somebody else does that I have no control over. Unless I'm just adding 1-2 easily working mods or something. I spent all kindsa time modding out Morrowind and FO3 for example, and I'll always save those builds cuz they took some time and effort to get the game exacly how I want, and to get confilcts resolved and what. Would never do that unless I knew I could keep my setup forever, assuming I don't fuck up and lose it myself. But that's me...

CARRiON.FLOWERS: You make it sound like booting up any game on PC is this monstrous task that some simpleton would never understand. Maybe in the 90's this was true but today if someone just wants to play CS:GO or GTA 5 all you have to do is double click the icon in Steam. Hardware isn't as wild west as it was back then, and neither is software, and that's a GOOD thing.
Right. But it is still very wild west compared to one-size-fits-all consoles, and it always will be. That's the nature of PCs. Unless you have some identical build from the same manufacturer there's always differences. If you go to fire up a console game and it doesn't work, that will be the same for everybody. But each different PC build may have trouble with any given software. Case in point, when i first was playing FO3 I had all these graphical glitches on my GeForce card. Replaced it with a same generation ATI card and everything worked beautifully. Point is, there is always bound to be some combinations of hardware and software that are problematic. That isn't going away. Add client software on top of that and you simply have one more potential point of failure.

CARRiON.FLOWERS: I'd venture to guess that 50% of GOG's customers's don't give a shit about DRM and shop at many other places, including Steam. They just want to play games, not worry about ideologies.
Hmm, my guess would be that percentage is quite a bit less than 50%, though I haven't taken a poll or anything. DRM free is sort of the whole point of GOG, after all. And again, I could give a shit about ideologies, I do care about additional headaches and overhead I have to deal with when I wanna play a game. I just want to play, not solve problems or wait for unnecessary downloads...

CARRiON.FLOWERS: Everyone enjoys their gaming differently. Some see PC gaming in general as a headache waiting to happen, even though it's actually pretty easy and only made out to be scary. IMO from the times I've had to use a modern console I found them to be more of a headache due to my expectations just not being met from the PC. You might get your wish soon as Bethesda adds mod capability to their other games on console. You can go buy Fallout 4 right now on console and mod it.
Well on this we agree, absoiutely each person has their own perspective and should game in the way that works best for them. I'm not trying to say anybody *should* do this or that, just where I picture the market going, long-term.

CARRiON.FLOWERS: You also fail to realize the biggest games on PC are mostly multiplayer based. GOG will never be able to match the number of players currently playing DOTA 2, CS:GO, TF2 or GTA 5. Steam's stats are available for anyone to see. Not to mention Blizzard's own games, Overwatch, Hearthstone, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and of course WoW. Mostly MP titles.

The hot shit on PC is multiplayer games and open-world based games. Y'know, the kind of games that rely on a system like Steam or Origin. I'm sorry, but I don't see thousands upon thousands of people ditching their Steam accounts of which they poured tons of money into, the games they want that are nowhere else are there, all their friends are there, and they logged many hours into. These are the majority, and the majority just wants to come home, log into Steam/Battle.Net, double click Overwatch or CS:GO or GTA 5 or Dota 2, and start playing with their friends.
GOG isn't going to compete with Steam on MP, consoles will. What of anything you just mentioned there would be easier on a PC vs a standard-issue console? The only thing I see are some titles that aren't available on consoles. Thats still the easiest, best bet for somebody who just wants to "come home, log in and start playing with their friends". Eh, whatever on that, I'm not a MP gamer so I'll have to take your word for this part.

CARRiON.FLOWERS: Everyone's reason for not using Steam is cool and fine and just as valid as anyone who chooses to use it,
Well for sure, agreed. And even though it surprises me that so many people are cool with Steam, well shit, to each his own. BUT... the fact that so many games today are packaged where you don't have a CHOICE is what sucks. And that's the part I see going away eventually. As I think we've proved in this conversation, if nothing else, people want choices and make different choices based on their own individual circumstances. That's why the one-size-fits-all approach of "requires Steam" will change at some point going forward, when devs/publishers realize the lost sales once people find more palletable solutions, which could be consoles, DRM-free, GOG, and whatever else people come up with. It's called the free market, and it always catches up eventually. If there is a need, that is even somewhat common, someone will find a way to fill it. One-size-fits-all PC gaming is not the future, I'd never buy that. One size fits all is for consoles. "Requires Steam" will largely go away at some point in the near future, and not just cuz it got replaced by some better Steam-like service somebody else creates. The PC market demands flexibility, and I think GOG's success is proof of that.
Post edited June 28, 2016 by Ariod
i dont fully understand DRM since it's tons of reading, i dislike, Steam always require connection to the net and gog doesn't, so if nets down, i still got something to play
zeroxxx: Because your money means all profit, right?
mobutu: ...
4 years ago it was a minority
3 years ago it was a minority
2 years ago it was a minority
1 year ago it was a minority
now is a minority

but there is a BIG difference: this minority has grown year after year, this minority is growing as we speak and this minority will grow to the point when it's no more a minority anymore but a pretty good chunk of the marketshare.

yes, the big stinky gorilla will not disappear nor die but because of the growing competition it will change, it'll be more clean, trimmed and civilised.

Unfortunately I remember you, you were a ssteam apologist years ago, still are and probably will still be their fanboi in the future. No evolution for you all this time.
But I refuse to have an argument with a blind ssteam troll like yourself who is so brainwashed in supporting an obvious monopol that can't see the simple fact that competition=good and monopol=bad for the consumer.
GoG has been in existence for how long now? 6-7 years? And how much of a percentage do you think it has of the digital market as a whole? 10% and that's being really generous. That's also assuming that every single person who buys on GoG (DRM-Free) does not buy on Steam which we no is not true. Yes DRM-Free is growing but it's growing relative to what it was before. It's not growing relative to Steam because Steam has not lost market share at all since GoG has been in existence (in fact it's userbase has only grown). Publishers see this too. If GoG has a sizeable marketshare don't you think there would be more publishers on board here? Hell, even some the publishers that are here still won't dare to put their newer titles for sale on GoG (Bethesda, WB even Paradox).

DRM-Free is a minority, niche whatever you want to call it. And it will continue to be as long as people (gamers) see no stronger alternative to what is already there. It's like asking someone who is an Apple fanboy to not use iphones anymore. It's never going to happen, unless Apple disappears.
Easily.
I don't buy on Steam any more. I use Smart Steam Emulator to use the games I've already bought.

Not using Steam does severely limit what you can play, a limitation I grudgingly accept in order to have full usage of the licenses I've bought.

It is worth noting, while a fugly mess, the windows Store is starting to sell modern games. While DRM'ed and using the gawd awful UWP application, their usage policy is many time more fair than Steam.
synfresh: GoG has been in existence for how long now? 6-7 years? And how much of a percentage do you think it has of the digital market as a whole? 10% and that's being really generous.
I remember it was 15% a few years back as far as I've heard.
And as far as I've understood, it was related to PC games : because of course, when you say 'digital market as a whole', while I suppose we are still talking about videogames, do we take into consideration µtransactions in f2p games ? ios/android games ? religious subscriptions to the cult of Blizzard ? Console games ?

Because yes, if you take into account markets gog is not positionned on (yet ? ;), the comparisons doesn't hold much sense because the major players won't be much more than 15%, and gog couldn't dream to reach the 10% market share in the next 5 years.
synfresh: If GoG has a sizeable marketshare don't you think there would be more publishers on board here?
but exactly that is the proof that gog is doing well, publishers that 1-2 years ago were a big no-go now are on gog. and more will come, don't you worry.
nobody can deny that gog has grown over the years. and it'll grow some more, attracting attention of both new publishers and newer games.
and, in time, a minority/niche growing gets to a point when it's no more a minority/niche. What's the new name for it? I don't care, call it whatever you want.
mobutu: now is a minority

Linux is a small minority. According to the "very accurate" (which it isn't) steam numbers, linux is used by only ~0.85% of steam users, yet according to this there are more games (2387) for this minority that there is games here on GOG, which only have [url=https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=1]1578 Drm-free games. So if one believe the numbers, a game will get a Linux build before a GOG release

mechmouse: I don't buy on Steam any more. I use Smart Steam Emulator to use the games I've already bought. .
SSe is great, use it quite a lot, especially now that I'm using Linux, what I do is download my game on steam for windows (using wine) see if it works, and then move it to where I want it and apply SSE to make it work without steam.
Sick of the auto updates on Steam to the point I am not really buying stuff from them unless its some must have game like Blood Bowl 2.
There are so many games out there that its becoming easier to skip on Steam. I already wont buy a game from Ubisoft due to thier forced client use.