It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
Breezo: Hmm, I am having problems with the restart-client-to-get-patch fix. Have done so multiple times now. The only difference I see is the version number which is now 1.0.0.871. But when I got to the options menu it still lists features as coming soon, and they are all greyed out.
moonshineshadow: You have the beta version. The only difference to alpha at the moment is the social stuff. You should see a friends symbol next to your avatar in the client.
Oh yeah, I see that now, thanks. So not much to get excited about yet, then? I thought I read that achiements were ready now, but guess I misunderstood that part.
MIK0: Will there be a way to check if the standalone installer on your backup folder are up to date? That's one of the reason Galaxy exist instead of updating the downloader.
Destro: Features that never existed in the Downloader and were never planned for the Downloader are not the reason why Galaxy exists... From the point of games, the key reason is to make installation and game update seamless and as quick as possible. At this point adding system for tracking standalone installers is not planned, thank you for the suggestion though.
So those of us interested in keeping the stand-alone installers up-to-date still have to rely on the wonky "updated" site notifications? :/

With Galaxy picking up the functionalities of the Downloader (regardless of whatever or not that's the client main focus) I hoped for some improvements, particularly considering the regressions seen in the last year or so ("New and Updated" filter for the Library not working in list mode, site no longer showing exactly what has been added or updated for a specific game, etc.).
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Kismet
djdarko: Okay, it does look pretty cool to be honest.

However, isn't this going to be counter-productive in the sense that it opens up your user-base to client based gaming?

Before you know it we will be saying: "Hey Steam isn't so bad, it's kind of like GOG Galaxy..."
gamesfreak64: first of all steam is not (really)bad, (its still bad though) let me explain what is very bad in steam:

1) you need the client installed to be able to get the game (download from steam if its a product that was bought from steam that is)

2) the client can play ofline mode but to do that the client must be installed

3) some games can be played on every pc , BUT they do need the installed client to download the game (black mirror 3 for example is one of the many games taht can be moved/copied to any folder or pc after the game has been installed using steam,so you have to have the client active , then download game ).

4) i have steam on old xp installed not on my win7,
if you are not in the windows that has the client installed you cannot use prepaid to buy games cause the store seems to be doing something with the client) (i dont know if a credit card will work)but prepaid does not work.

i was on win7 logged in (seldom use win Xp since i got used to win7) and wanted to buy a game for fun at very low price , 19 cents it was insetad of 1.49 so you cant buy it if you dont have steamactive so i had to logout, log into my old Xp and login the site and then i could finally buy the 19 cent thing)
and thats bad... real bad.

So i hope that we will be able to order games with any payment option from any device all over the world even if the client has become common use.

I also hope that the gog website wont disappear including the shelves and forum , cause i think that betting all on 1 horse is risky , so as long as the site be there aswell as it is now , i wont have any problems with clients.

i signed up gave the mail and am now waiting for a link or code or whatever to start trying the client.
I do have some other questions but i will do that in a new post.

deshadow52: I'm still not getting an email for the Beta for some reason. Is anyone else having this problem?
gamesfreak64: when did you sign up? today or days ago? i recently gave the mail so i think that it might take some days to arrive in my case, so i am patiently waiting for it.
Pretty much the day the announcement was out. So that would be yesterday if i'm not mistaken.
So what about achievements? Only Witcher 2 for now?
At last! Waited for Galaxy for a very long time.
Destro: Features that never existed in the Downloader and were never planned for the Downloader are not the reason why Galaxy exists... From the point of games, the key reason is to make installation and game update seamless and as quick as possible. At this point adding system for tracking standalone installers is not planned, thank you for the suggestion though.
Kismet: So those of us interested in keeping the stand-alone installers up-to-date still have to rely on the wonky "updated" site notifications? :/

With Galaxy picking up the functionalities of the Downloader (regardless of whatever or not that's the client main focus) I hoped for some improvement, particularly considering the regressions seen in the last year or so ("New and Updated" filter for the Library not working in list mode, site no longer showing exactly what has been added or updated for a specific game, etc.).
They've made several statements recently that they are working on a new Library/My Account that will fix all of the issues we've been having recently with the existing system. No ETA though...
john_hatcher: Will that be the same as with your "one world, one price" principle?
MIK0: You should know better that at GOG they never get back on their words, until they do! :D
You are right there. I will tell you what will happen in time (let it be 1 or 2 years after release, but IT WILL HAPPEN). Standalone installers will be removed and everyone will need Galaxy to download and play the games. I know that many people will now say "no will never happen", but time will prove me right.
Was chatting with Judas about the Assign Tags function, and apparently he doesn't even have it! I though it might be only enabled on installed games, and since I haven't installed any through Galaxy yet it doesn't do anything for me. But since he doesn't have it all, I'm really wondering about it.

I'm attaching a screenshot of where the function appears in Galaxy for me. If anyone has this and can get it to work, please let us know.
Attachments:
galaxy.png (186 Kb)
I like it!
Intriguingly enough, when you get friend invites through the Galaxy beta client, they're added to your notification count on the website, but you have no way of viewing these invites from the website.
Yay, finally got the update from Alpha to Beta. Unfortunately, none of my friends (that I know of anyway) are using GOG so I won't be having any friends to chat (or play) with.
deshadow52: I'm still not getting an email for the Beta for some reason. Is anyone else having this problem?
Same here. Applied a couple of hours after the announcement and still haven't got an email. But apparently it's not a problem. I presume we just need to wait a little bit longer... (sadly)
green.anger: Same here. Applied a couple of hours after the announcement and still haven't got an email. But apparently it's not a problem. I presume we just need to wait a little bit longer... (sadly)
Check your library. It may already be available to download. If you're using the alpha, while it should theoretically auto-update, you may need to uninstall and patch manually.
Post edited May 06, 2015 by jamyskis
green.anger: Same here. Applied a couple of hours after the announcement and still haven't got an email. But apparently it's not a problem. I presume we just need to wait a little bit longer... (sadly)
jamyskis: Check your library. It may already be available to download. If you're using the alpha, while it should theoretically auto-update, you may need to uninstall and patch manually.
Applied yesterday, first hour and still no e-mail, nor in my library. Well, have to wait.
Yeah, i'm only complaining about it on here because I am really psyched for it and want to try it..