It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
I had a code for the Alpha that I received over the weekend (or last weekend). But for whatever reason, I can't find it in my inbox. Impatiently awaiting another invite! :-)
How do I invite steam friends to my friends list?
JudasIscariot: You know what? We've made it quite clear that Galaxy is going to be optional, whether it was via the introductory video, GOG staff repeating this over and over. the actual games having the temporary GOG Launcher removed AND being able to run without Galaxy when the GOG Launcher was there and so on.

If people are still grumbling about this after all of the above, then let them grumble and they can continue not using Galaxy and nothing will change for them.
john_hatcher: Will that be the same as with your "one world, one price" principle?
You should know better that at GOG they never get back on their words, until they do! :D
OK, am I going to have to uninstall and reinstall Galaxy from the ground up to get it working correctly? The import feature is still broken and is only importing the two games I had previously uninstalled.
gaddarmice: Your son would not have to buy it again unless he want to get feature of Galaxy client like achievement and so. So I don't think it's kind of restriction.
Pheace: Multiplayer as mentioned above would seem the most important of the 'missing' features for his son then.
No, not at all. multiplayer function is new thing which is one of the most initial promise of Galaxy itself. There is no proper mp mode for old games before Galaxy. So if your son, friends and so willing to play your game as multiplayer without giving any penny of course it's kinda weird.
Can anyone confirm or deny that this new online functionality means that games, which were dependant on gamespy for online mutliplayer in the past, will be playable online through Gog Galaxy?
Post edited May 06, 2015 by KaiserPhoenix
MIK0: There will be a standalone installer download for backing up games. But does that mean that if you want to autoupdate and also do backups you have to download things twice? That's not cool.
Destro: The only reason why games installed by Client are not trivially backupable yet is that the install script that is launched at the end of installation is not stored inside the installation folder to make it easy to re-launch it upon restoring that installation from whatever backup.

We plan to address during the beta, so every single of your installed games will be able to backed up at any time and by way you want, without any need to download the standalone installer.
I understand.
I think the best way to do it, and the one we should expect, is something that make you create backups that end up being the same exact file you would download separately. This way you could stop using Galaxy when you want and have always a verifiably installer at hand.

Will there be a way to check if the standalone installer on your backup folder are up to date? That's one of the reason Galaxy exist instead of updating the downloader.
The alpha updated itself to the beta for me this morning, so good to go on that front.

One question - does the "Assign Tags" feature do anything yet? I hover on it and click on the fly-out menu, but nothing happens.
Maighstir: Third: A genuine question, if you don't mind. Why are you opposed to use Galaxy solely as a downloader of plain installers in the same way you currently use the downloader?
Shadowcat: What gave you the impression that I was opposed to that? My concern -- derived directly from the post to which I had replied -- is that, at some point in the future, Galaxy won't work on all of the operating systems for which the games themselves are supported -- and whether, at that point, the original downloader will still function on those systems, or if those users will be stuck with trying to download using their web browsers.
Frankly, I was under no impression of you at all. My reply was aimed at Tannath who specifically said "installing Galaxy just for that is not a solution for me".
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Maighstir
KaiserPhoenix: Can anyone confirm or deny that this new online functionality means that games, which were dependant on gamespy for online mutliplayer in the past, will be playable online through Gog Galaxy?
If developers of those games will adopt Galaxy, then yes.
Didn't participate on Alpha. Still no download link for BETA
Are we there yet? Are we there yet???
KaiserPhoenix: Can anyone confirm or deny that this new online functionality means that games, which were dependant on gamespy for online mutliplayer in the past, will be playable online through Gog Galaxy?
unless the rights holders change the game on a code level from requiring gamespy to using Galaxy's api..the answer is no.
MIK0: I think the best way to do it, and the one we should expect, is something that make you create backups that end up being the same exact file you would download separately.
Standalone installer prepared by GOG and downloaded from the website AND compressed folder of existing installation will never be exact same files. All it takes is a single meta file to alter the installation, not to mention that standalone installers are build differently than by just compressing game folder - they include actual inno installers.

MIK0: Will there be a way to check if the standalone installer on your backup folder are up to date? That's one of the reason Galaxy exist instead of updating the downloader.
Features that never existed in the Downloader and were never planned for the Downloader are not the reason why Galaxy exists... From the point of games, the key reason is to make installation and game update seamless and as quick as possible. At this point adding system for tracking standalone installers is not planned, thank you for the suggestion though.
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Destro
Still haven't had my alpha updated yet, but hopefully it happens sooner than later. :)
Uhm.. not sure if someone else has mentioned this yet but.. why does galaxy use such an incredible amount of memory?
Attachments:
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Tinycloud