It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
MMLN: A small question to GOG staff, The Witcher and Neverwinter Nights Diamond were updated through galaxy, but in the Library, there are still older standalone versions of these games.

Will these backup files/installers be updated at some point?

Thanks
As far as NWN is concerned, I find it unlikely that the game itself has actually seen some kind of genuine update. It's more than likely an update to how the game was packaged in Galaxy. Or possibly matchmaking to replace GameSpy?

As far as The Witcher is concerned, were the updates possibly Galaxy-related? (e.g. achievements)

It's not inconceivable that games might be updated in Galaxy to make use of Galaxy's functions (meaning that a standalone update would be pointless in these cases).
Post edited May 06, 2015 by jamyskis
Wealin: Are there any games with achievements yet?
I don't think so, I guess they will release all that feature they mentioned except some pointed as "soon" when Galaxy beta is avalible. I have alpha revision right now and there is Galaxy Beta listed in my library but it's highlighted as "Not yet avalible".
gaddarmice: I don't think so, I guess they will release all that feature they mentioned except some pointed as "soon" when Galaxy beta is avalible. I have alpha revision right now and there is Galaxy Beta listed in my library but it's highlighted as "Not yet avalible".
Unless GOG has managed to coax indie developers into patching in Galaxy achievements into their games, I have a sneaking suspicion that Witcher 3 will mark the debut of achievements.

Anyone who's hoping for achievements for the classic games is likely to sorely disappointed though.
smyron766: I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere, so here goes. Ok, so I download an installer for, say, Empire Earth, save it to a usb, and install it on my sons' computer. If I use galaxy, I log in, see all the games I've purchased. But how does it work on my son's computer? The game is installed, but he never bought it, so if he manually adds it to his galaxy account, well, how does that work? Same as if a friend bought it on his account and brought the installer to me. I didn't buy it, it's not in my online library, so will they auto update? Will it even be an option to add a GOG game that I myself haven't purchased?
gaddarmice: Non of other can add your game to their Galaxy client. Everyone has own individual profile so once you purchase a title that will redeem to your profile/Galaxy client. But of course they can able to play your game that you installed on their pc via game exe. Eventually it's drm-free.
So to me DRM free means I can install it to as many computers as I want, just like having a disk, but my son would have to buy it again to use the client? So maybe I'm wrong, but the client kinda seems like it's got some restrictions. Glad it's optional.
smyron766: So to me DRM free means I can install it to as many computers as I want, just like having a disk, but my son would have to buy it again to use the client? So maybe I'm wrong, but the client kinda seems like it's got some restrictions. Glad it's optional.
Well, no, you can install the standalone installer on your son's PC and run it without logging in. The client pertains to your account itself.
cyboff: ask EA and Ubisoft ;)
jamyskis: EA in particular, given that they've pretty much faded into total irrelevance on the PC.
as far as EA....
as far as i can read on all the news about this giant

they pretty do and can do everything themselves

i think the sportsgames made them very very big and now they can and will buy everyone and everything.
c&c and red alert is EA and in a few years all will be EA and maby Activision, then it will be a mickeysoft thing
once they have power they can do what they want and as they please cause all will be depending of them.
I always found that all power must be dvided among multiple companies who are independant of another and do not have anything in common cause otherwise you still get a monopoly.
Now we can get MMORPGs here like Shroud of the Avatar? I like to play with my fellow GOGers.
ashwald: And some people are afraid that it won't actually stay optional for long regardless of what is being promised right now. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Fully agreed, this possibility exists and with the existence of the client they have one more requirements for introducing DRM or making a client mandatory ready.

I could imagine a possible news release:

"Good news,

our client is so widespread now and offers so many advantages and simply we cannot maintain so many different ways of offering our services. Therefore we will concentrate on the future which is our beloved client. We adapt the download possibilities accordingly. We never said we will maintain them forever anyway. ..."

Something like this is possible (only with more marketing speak), although currently still unlikely, but not completely excludable.

After all they are a company who wants to make profit, not a charity organization for the prosperity of the DRM free.

And if no AAA games come here in the future because of DRM, if the shareholders of CDP are demanding changes, if different people are at the top of GOG and CDP, ... well, a mere possibility can become realistic fast.
smyron766: So to me DRM free means I can install it to as many computers as I want, just like having a disk, but my son would have to buy it again to use the client? So maybe I'm wrong, but the client kinda seems like it's got some restrictions. Glad it's optional.
No it doesn't have restrictions. You could use it as a downloader and ignore all the rest. It won't check with GOG at installation or start of the game (as this would be DRM).

It may have restrictions for multiplayer gaming like only one player at a time. This might then be DRM.

Your son can play your GOG games too easily. (Not strictly because the license is more like a personal playing license, but I see it more like a household license. I play mostly at home but I also bought some adventures for my girlfriend and now she is playing them while I never played them.)
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Trilarion
gaddarmice: Non of other can add your game to their Galaxy client. Everyone has own individual profile so once you purchase a title that will redeem to your profile/Galaxy client. But of course they can able to play your game that you installed on their pc via game exe. Eventually it's drm-free.
Your son would not have to buy it again unless he want to get feature of Galaxy client like achievement and so. So I don't think it's kind of restriction.
Okay, it does look pretty cool to be honest.

However, isn't this going to be counter-productive in the sense that it opens up your user-base to client based gaming?

Before you know it we will be saying: "Hey Steam isn't so bad, it's kind of like GOG Galaxy..."
Wil there be Linux Galaxy client sometime? Like existent Steam client for Linux.
MMLN: A small question to GOG staff, The Witcher and Neverwinter Nights Diamond were updated through galaxy, but in the Library, there are still older standalone versions of these games.

Will these backup files/installers be updated at some point?

Thanks
jamyskis: As far as NWN is concerned, I find it unlikely that the game itself has actually seen some kind of genuine update. It's more than likely an update to how the game was packaged in Galaxy. Or possibly matchmaking to replace GameSpy?

As far as The Witcher is concerned, were the updates possibly Galaxy-related? (e.g. achievements)

It's not inconceivable that games might be updated in Galaxy to make use of Galaxy's functions (meaning that a standalone update would be pointless in these cases).
Well as far as I know Rise of the Triad 2013 1.5 update is mostly update for Galaxy and Crossplay with Steam and it is still available as a standalone download from library. All free games and AvP Classice were updated in Galaxy and as standalone installers too.

So I am just little bit curious :-P
Alatriste.443: Wil there be Linux Galaxy client sometime? Like existent Steam client for Linux.
From the FAQ:

9. Will you release a Linux version of GOG Galaxy?

A Linux version of our client is planned eventually, but we don't have an expected release date right now. Stay tuned for future announcements.

Hope that helps :)
djdarko: ... However, isn't this going to be counter-productive in the sense that it opens up your user-base to client based gaming? ...
I guess they thought that most users are already used to client based programming, so it's more like a follow of the general trend. I guess they will gain more than they will loose, especially as long as it really is optional.
Looks like somethings happening right now. When I drive cursor over the member it giving me option to invite as friend.