It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
'As to the mention that patching would not be done to both galaxy and pure gog downloads same day.

Yup and that two tier updating is what caused so much strife in the DRMfree/steam title dungeon defenders.
The steam one would always be up to date the DRM Free one would never have anyone to connect to because 80%+ of the player base used steam.
Ergo a multiplayer with a two tiered access, a literal discrimination against gamers creating a second class digital citizenry.

Not rolling out patches at the same time creates version mismatches that ensure one group cannot play with the other through a manufactured disparity of software communication.
Post edited May 06, 2015 by MaceyNeil
Now GOG is better than ever. This is real deal for all PC Gamers. No more restriction mentality over the gamers. Finally democracy become true with GOG Galaxy, no more dictatorship. So when you pay for a product you will have it one hundred percent, beside bunch of stuff and fancy feature will be waiting for you. So I would like to say HUGE THANKS to all GOG stuff to making this dream true. Long live GOG Galaxy! <3
Impaler26: I'm absolutely not interested in any of Galaxy's "features" so i won't install this unnecessary software on my PC. I just want to download my games and for that i can just use the GOG Downloader (as long as it still works) or my browser.

And while Galaxy is "totally optional" at the moment i think it won't stay like that forever. I bet eventually there will be games that need Galaxy to run.
My thinking exactly. If people want a service like steam, then why not go with steam? GoG was a option for those whom dislike steam and it's ways, surly the chiefs at GoG must see this.

Why would we want another steam, origins or u-play?
Impaler26: ... while Galaxy is "totally optional" at the moment i think it won't stay like that forever. I bet eventually there will be games that need Galaxy to run.
I'm inclined to agree. I'm not suggesting it will be a bad thing, but it will be a thing all the same.
gaddarmice: Now GOG is better than ever. This is real deal for all PC Gamers. No more restriction mentality over the gamers. Finally democracy become true with GOG Galaxy, no more dictatorship. So when you pay for a product you will have it one hundred percent, beside bunch of stuff and fancy feature will be waiting for you. So I would like to say HUGE THANKS to all GOG stuff to making this dream true. Long live GOG Galaxy! <3
oO?

What does the client have to do with the stuff you mentioned? GoG was always DRM free.
Or do you mean the possible crossplay with Steam's multiplayer?
lostwolfe: sorry for the hijackery.

but you guys need to do a newspost explaining:
the timing of the beta roll out.
and that this will be "truly optional" - there's a lot of grumbling that it might turn out not to be. [and given your track record, i'm with the worriers. ;)]
JudasIscariot: You know what? We've made it quite clear that Galaxy is going to be optional, whether it was via the introductory video, GOG staff repeating this over and over. the actual games having the temporary GOG Launcher removed AND being able to run without Galaxy when the GOG Launcher was there and so on.

If people are still grumbling about this after all of the above, then let them grumble and they can continue not using Galaxy and nothing will change for them.
It appears Galaxy may hit the sweet spot between Steam and manual management via your file system. For example: Galaxy looks like a nice compromise between iTunes and managing your music files manually with folders/files... except it will do it for games. At least that is how I view it currently. I don't care for where Steam has gone and if Galaxy can stay true to the vision it should be great.

I wasn't in alpha so this observation is only from released information.
gaddarmice: Now GOG is better than ever. This is real deal for all PC Gamers. No more restriction mentality over the gamers. Finally democracy become true with GOG Galaxy, no more dictatorship. So when you pay for a product you will have it one hundred percent, beside bunch of stuff and fancy feature will be waiting for you. So I would like to say HUGE THANKS to all GOG stuff to making this dream true. Long live GOG Galaxy! <3
Klumpen0815: oO?

What does the client have to do with the stuff you mentioned? GoG was always DRM free.
Or do you mean the possible crossplay with Steam's multiplayer?
lol, of course I know they're drm-free at the beginning. I'm just pointed to Galaxy by that.
More and more I look at the gog galaxy page the more it looks like the steam client. The only differences for now that I can see are the optional updates and "always offline" play. The so called game overlay is exactly the drm layer on steam that is known for breaking games. Definitely passing this thing now.
Impaler26: I'm absolutely not interested in any of Galaxy's "features" so i won't install this unnecessary software on my PC. I just want to download my games and for that i can just use the GOG Downloader (as long as it still works) or my browser.

And while Galaxy is "totally optional" at the moment i think it won't stay like that forever. I bet eventually there will be games that need Galaxy to run.
DazBoots: My thinking exactly. If people want a service like steam, then why not go with steam? GoG was a option for those whom dislike steam and it's ways, surly the chiefs at GoG must see this.

Again, people are missing the point. I don't know how people find it so difficult to understand that the core principle of Galaxy is optionally. GOG has gone to great lengths to show that. Even if some time in the future a game comes out that will work only on Galaxy does that mean all games will need Galaxy? Would you even buy that game? Would it have even came out on Galaxy if there wasn't a Galaxy?

Really guys, nothing affects you, in the end if you don't like it move along. The whole point of Galaxy is to make GOG more accessible to a generation that has grown up on the convenience of a Steam-like interface. You don't magically not start owning your own games if you use a program to help keep tab on them all. When more people start joining GOG that mean more funds can go into bringing new and old games here.
tarasis: The current version of Galaxy (0.7.0.823) does allow you to download the Win/Linux/Mac version of a game, in whatever language you wish, to whichever platform you are running Galaxy.

1) Find the Game you want to install and click on it
2) Go into More->Download Extras
3) Select OS and LANG as you desire
4) Click on Game (or SPIEL if your in Germany) and the download will start.
HiPhish: Yes, but I cannot click games that don't have a Mac installer, that's the problem. Windows users can click any game because every game has a Windows installer.
I was on OSX when I wrote that. (I dual boot between Win7 & OSX 10.10.*).
tarasis: I was on OSX when I wrote that. (I dual boot between Win7 & OSX 10.10.*).
OK, that's weird. I also have the same version of Galaxy. I'll wait until I get unlocked for the next update, maybe it will work then.
low rated
DazBoots: My thinking exactly. If people want a service like steam, then why not go with steam? GoG was a option for those whom dislike steam and it's ways, surly the chiefs at GoG must see this.

zeo: Really guys, nothing affects you, in the end if you don't like it move along. The whole point of Galaxy is to make GOG more accessible to a generation that has grown up on the convenience of a Steam-like interface.
This comment is twin pronged. If Galaxy is what you want then move along to steam. ;)
Baratos: I have been trying to get my already installed gog games to work with galaxy, and every time I got a "drive access" error and had to uninstall and then install the game from scratch for it to work. Then I did that with FEAR, but it did not just uninstall FEAR. It uninstalled EVERY GAME I OWN FROM GOG. I had ongoing playthroughs in several of those, which I intentionally did not try to test with galaxy to ensure nothing was erased, and I now have to start over from scratch in EVERY ONE.

Put gently, I am upset, and will file a bug report as soon as I can.

Edit: several game saves are still in my documents folder, but I've still lost some that were in the GOG Games folder. So I'm a bit calmer.
&ograve;&Ograve;!
It's actually very funny that Steam never bothered to invent something like optional updates or even going back. Easy scoring for GOG I guess.

I like that GOG is now on par featurewise with Steam (mostly). Some things Steam handles better, other things are better on GOG.

Now the only difference left is DRM. So we can see directly what influence DRM has (all other things kept roughly equal).

If the market share of GOG does not increase, then people just give a damn about DRM.

zeo: Again, people are missing the point. I don't know how people find it so difficult to understand that the core principle of Galaxy is optionally. GOG has gone to great lengths to show that. Even if some time in the future a game comes out that will work only on Galaxy does that mean all games will need Galaxy? Would you even buy that game? Would it have even came out on Galaxy if there wasn't a Galaxy?

Really guys, nothing affects you, in the end if you don't like it move along. The whole point of Galaxy is to make GOG more accessible to a generation that has grown up on the convenience of a Steam-like interface. You don't magically not start owning your own games if you use a program to help keep tab on them all. When more people start joining GOG that mean more funds can go into bringing new and old games here.
Absolutely agree with that. Also I don't think some people get the point for real with drm-free. When you purchase a product on Steam you don't actually own it. So even you don't have right to play your game outside of your currency region. This is totally nonsense for me. I mean now we're able to get much more flexible Steam like feature beside drm-free option. Surely in time while with our support they can present much more things to us.