It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
BKGaming: Hey can we get an ETA on when the beta will drop. :P
Here you go :)
Fallen_Zen: Here you go :)
Lol, thanks... your a little late there though Fallen. xD
gamesfreak64: thanks for the reply
alpha version? how stable is this version? did some beta testing games and tools years ago (12 years or so)
and i always heard alpha versions were known to crash alot, at least thats what the devs told me when i signed up way back for those testing of beta tools and games.

So i wonder how stable this build will be.
Well we're entering Beta to be exact ;) You can try it out for yourself or ask anyone here who's already using it.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Fallen_Zen
Maighstir: Yeah, yyahoo's "now" is apparently a bit earlier than yours.
That was then, just now.
Maighstir: Yeah, yyahoo's "now" is apparently a bit earlier than yours.
:D
Zolyx: Really excited for the future of Galaxy! Will we eventually have support for user-managed Steam-style Groups, or should we expect to just use the friends list?

Oh, and I'll just leave this here...
http://static04.gog.com/upload/forum/2015/05/0e30edc0383554ac57c1c1afbdfbf9dba59aae3e.jpg
Klumpen0815: Oh dear, I can already smell the 50+ rooms where everybody talks about BBC Micro vs. ZX Spectrum and makes fun of those young people and their OCD achievements. :-D
nah , not me... i would be in the rooms were the oldies are talking about the good old days the amiga graphics were better then the first pc games graphics :D
cause the first pc games were ugly as hell, you had to close your eyes almost completely and only then you would see which creature attacked you cause with all those ministeck graphics.... all things looked the same.

KQ1,2,3 thats like playing with zoom on 400% in paint or so (if paint has zoom)
so blocky that the eyes hurt after playing 10 minutes....
or the bleeping through the pc speaker.... omg that was horrible....
The later years were better, the graphics got way better... until we evolved too much and now most games even small ones are in full 3d ....

I stick to jagged aliance classics, fallout classic and all those games like it, no fancy 3d like in the awfull monkey island remakes ( i have the orignal and the cartoonlike remakes but not the 3d (the one with 6 parts i believe, that one is awfull)
Post edited May 05, 2015 by gamesfreak64
Fallen_Zen: Here you go :)
what about people who signed up for beta?
tarasis: The current version of Galaxy (0.7.0.823) does allow you to download the Win/Linux/Mac version of a game, in whatever language you wish, to whichever platform you are running Galaxy.

1) Find the Game you want to install and click on it
2) Go into More->Download Extras
3) Select OS and LANG as you desire
4) Click on Game (or SPIEL if your in Germany) and the download will start.
Yes, but I cannot click games that don't have a Mac installer, that's the problem. Windows users can click any game because every game has a Windows installer.
Is the beta invite only still?

Thanks.
Fallen_Zen: /snip/
My apologies if you are not the person responsible, but does the Client still create a folder "GOG Games" on root C: without asking for permission? I know you can change the folder afterwards, but it is its creation during installation that worries me.
Does being completely optional also include being able to stop using it completely if I decide I do not like it after having tested it?

Just to clarify, if I were to install it and add some of my games to it, use it for a while, then decide I do not want to use the client at all. I just wish to go back to the way I used to do it, by manually downloading my games and play them like that. Will the the games I have added to Galaxy be affected in any way?

Can I just start playing the installtion I already had, or even a new installtion done through Galaxy after having uninstalled Galaxy or will I have to reinstall the games in question?
tarasis: The current version of Galaxy (0.7.0.823) does allow you to download the Win/Linux/Mac version of a game, in whatever language you wish, to whichever platform you are running Galaxy.

1) Find the Game you want to install and click on it
2) Go into More->Download Extras
3) Select OS and LANG as you desire
4) Click on Game (or SPIEL if your in Germany) and the download will start.
HiPhish: Yes, but I cannot click games that don't have a Mac installer, that's the problem. Windows users can click any game because every game has a Windows installer.
That's a bit annoying. Even Steam can show all your games regardless of your platform (though it only allows for downloading games for your own platform, since it doesn't supply stand-alone installers at all - so the feature's rather useless).

So... GOG can download installers for all platforms but can only show you games that are available for yours, while Steam can show you games for all platforms but can only download "installers" for yours. That's a bit backwards, methinks.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Maighstir
Wishbone: Is it odd that I feel much more comfortable about using this client going forward, knowing that I don't actually have to? Conversely, using Steam makes me feel annoyed that it is necessary.
Not really but that's what has me worried because such a sentiment might become a future incentive and argument for removal of the optionality. It certainly would constitute an easy way of enticing and eventually converting the masses.

The more popular it becomes the less GOG has to lose by making further changes to their principles.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Lemon_Curry
tinysalamander: How optional is optional? Would I be able to run a game downloaded with Galaxy without Galaxy?*

* Let's assume it is broken for a time or dead or whatever.
Yes, the game you get through Galaxy is 100% the exact same game you get if you don't use Galaxy. Whether you install it with Galaxy or not, it can be launched from within the Galaxy client or from your start menu the way you usually do it. The Galaxy client just acts as an optional alternative downloader/installer/launcher but you're not forced to then have to use Galaxy to use the game either. If you want you can just use Galaxy as a replacement to download the old style installers that GOG Downloader provides as well.

In short though, everything is optional. It's about as non-intrusive as a game client can possibly be really.
Lemon_Curry: The more popular it becomes the less GOG has to lose by making further changes to their principles.
Hm? Why would popularity of the client force GOG to change their principles? No one said that convenience has to equal DRM. It's Steam / Netflix brainwashing.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by shmerl