It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Try the DRM-free online gaming platform.

<span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span>: our truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform. As we shared our vision with the world, we promised auto-patching, social functionality like chat, friends lists, and achievements. We promised our own multiplayer support and cross-play with Steam. Most importantly, we promised truly optional.

Today we deliver.
The <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy</span> client enters beta, open to anyone, with the most important functionality ready to try, test, enjoy (and break) at your leisure. We're proud to have gotten this far, and we know that we couldn't have done it without you all - that's everyone who spent months in alpha testing, that's those of you who talked to us about your needs and expectations, and it's every single one of you that has supported us since ever. So thanks, GOG Galaxy is for you!

With the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span>, you can install your games in one click and keep them up to date automatically, the beta currently supports this feature in all but a couple of titles available here. You can also perform backups easily by downloading a standalone installer through GOG Galaxy. The beta features a friends list, game time tracking, achievements, and chat. You can now talk to each other, connect with your group of friends, and see what everyone is playing. You can also try out our online multiplayer & matchmaking solution that, in select titles, includes cross-play: platform-independent multiplayer between gamers on GOG.com and Steam. If you download a patch that breaks something or if you just change your mind, the app will soon feature a unique rollback option to restore a previous version of your game.

Best of all, GOG Galaxy is optional. If you don't want to use any additional software, your experience with us won't change at all. If you only want to take advantage of select conveniences, you can toggle them on and off. It's all totally up to you.

You can sign up for the <span class="bold">GOG Galaxy Beta</span> and find out more on <span class="bold">gog.com/galaxy</span>, where we tell you about the features and answer many of the questions you may have. We'll be watching the forums carefully, so feel free to leave a comment if there is anything else that you'd like to know!
BKGaming: No if you download a standalone installer (assuming it be updated for Galaxy, and eventually all of them will be), and you install it manually then you won't have an install button in Galaxy... you will have a play button because they game will already be installed ...
Trilarion: That's good. But then the install button could as well start my downloaded standalone installer (updated for Galaxy)? I hope it will.
Possibly they could add an option for that once all the standalone installers have been updated...
Hey, guys, I'm confused... In the library for every game there is the menu from which you can install the game or go to its store page and so on. Did we have "Assign Tags..." sub-menu from the time Beta (1.0.0.871) was release and I missed it or has it been quietly added recently?
can we get rid of this ALMABRDS who spams us with friends requests. Now it wont do anything when I click on arrow next to get rid of it. A block would be nice or a report spamming scum would be better
BKGaming: No if you download a standalone installer (assuming it be updated for Galaxy, and eventually all of them will be), and you install it manually then you won't have an install button in Galaxy... you will have a play button because they game will already be installed ...
Trilarion: That's good. But then the install button could as well start my downloaded standalone installer (updated for Galaxy)? I hope it will.
That seems unlikely.

1) If you didn't download the installer from Galaxy, it doesn't know that it exists.

2) Even if you did, the file layout may not match what Galaxy installs (this seems to be especially prevalent on Mac; less so on Windows but not completely absent), so you might end up having to download it again anyways.

It seems to me like there's a remarkably small use case where this feature would be useful. If you want to use a standalone installer, just run it yourself. It may or may not end up adding the game to Galaxy as a side-effect.

If you want to use Galaxy, install it through Galaxy, then use the promised backup mode to create a standalone installer for backup.
ATimson: That seems unlikely.

1) If you didn't download the installer from Galaxy, it doesn't know that it exists.

2) Even if you did, the file layout may not match what Galaxy installs (this seems to be especially prevalent on Mac; less so on Windows but not completely absent), so you might end up having to download it again anyways.

It seems to me like there's a remarkably small use case where this feature would be useful. If you want to use a standalone installer, just run it yourself. It may or may not end up adding the game to Galaxy as a side-effect.

If you want to use Galaxy, install it through Galaxy, then use the promised backup mode to create a standalone installer for backup.
It's certainly the way it was designed. In the minds of the GOG people there were two worlds, one fully using the client, and another one(probably less often visited) using standalone installers.

Now what I would like is having an archive full of standalone installers and sometimes I want to use the client too but reduce all unnecessary overhead. So to speak: the best of both worlds. Clearly neither GOG nor you really see much potential there which I find a bit sad. Why not maximizing the usefulness?

What I did towards this goal was using the client to download the installers (it's basically the old downloader under the hood). Copying the other standalone installers from my old downloaders directory (should have been fully compatible) and then I wanted to install without any download. The client knows they exist because I downloaded them using the client. They are all in its download directory.

Turns out this only works if I install them manually and then add them to the client which is a bit cumbersome for achieving such a simple goal. Why not making it simpler?

What I want is avoiding to have to download everything twice but still have standalone installers as a backup in the end and all this with a minimum of clicks. My gut feeling strongly tells me that this is technically possible.
Post edited May 11, 2015 by Trilarion
Trilarion: What I want is avoiding to have to download everything twice but still have standalone installers as a backup in the end and all this with a minimum of clicks. My gut feeling strongly tells me that this is technically possible.
The easiest way I can think of is Galaxy downloading the installer and then executing it. This way you will download the game only once, keep your backup installer and Galaxy can perform any scripts it needs for game registration and such. It should definitely be technically possible.
Watch out for games that don't show until you run a search, some games have different names for the install folders (i.e. Baldur's Gate is now Baldurs Gate, no apostrophe), clicking install on the installer to get these games to show as installed will overwrite the install folder but leave previous registry keys unless uninstalled prior to reinstalling with Galaxy (rather than before when it would just replace the old like any good program, I don't use CCleaner etc as they are placebo's). The new registry keys don't contain the name of the game so if you want to remove them its simple enough.
Trilarion: Now what I would like is having an archive full of standalone installers and sometimes I want to use the client too but reduce all unnecessary overhead. So to speak: the best of both worlds. Clearly neither GOG nor you really see much potential there which I find a bit sad. Why not maximizing the usefulness?
I see the potential. I just don't see GOG being willing to invest the time on it, because I think it's a definite edge case.

Once the installers are updated to be Galaxy-compatible you'll be 98% of the way to what you want (as long as you're on Windows): you can download the installers and you can run them as you do now. The game will have been added to Galaxy automatically in the background, for when you do want to use the client.

All that will be missing is Galaxy kicking off the standalone installer instead of using the "standard" install process.

Trilarion: Turns out this only works if I install them manually and then add them to the client which is a bit cumbersome for achieving such a simple goal. Why not making it simpler?
It will be - they just haven't updated the older standalone installers to support that yet.
How do I add my games on gog galaxy?
It only detected about 15 games
ATimson: ... It will be - they just haven't updated the older standalone installers to support that yet.
Would be nice. I just don't want to download things twice.
BananaJane: How do I add my games on gog galaxy?
It only detected about 15 games
Once installed, in Galaxy go to the game page, select "More"->"Manage..."->"Select Folder" and point to the folder in which you installed the game.
Adding games manually doesn't work? How do you remove games from the list on the left because it's adding modded games that I don't want to be auto updated? HOW DO I REMOVE GAMES FROM THE LIST THE THE LEFT SIDE!!!!!!!!!
This is THE MOST ANNOYING feature of gog galaxy and I WILL NOT be using it until I am SIMPLY allowed to remove games from my game list, I don't gog galaxy auto updating.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by Brothan
Brothan: Adding games manually doesn't work? How do you remove games from the list on the left because it's adding modded games that I don't want to be auto updated? HOW DO I REMOVE GAMES FROM THE LIST THE THE LEFT SIDE!!!!!!!!!
This is THE MOST ANNOYING feature of gog galaxy and I WILL NOT be using it until I am SIMPLY allowed to remove games from my game list, I don't gog galaxy auto updating.
If you just want to disable auto-uptades, you can do it per game in "More"->"Configure" sub-menu on the game page.
Brothan: Adding games manually doesn't work? How do you remove games from the list on the left because it's adding modded games that I don't want to be auto updated? HOW DO I REMOVE GAMES FROM THE LIST THE THE LEFT SIDE!!!!!!!!!
green.anger: If you just want to disable auto-uptades, you can do it per game in "More"->"Configure" sub-menu on the game page.
ok, thanks. I still want to be allowed to simply remove a game off the my games list. Also the client has a really hard time reading ANY game that I have installed from gog(manual scan or not.) Is that just because the client is beta?
Post edited May 12, 2015 by Brothan
green.anger: If you just want to disable auto-uptades, you can do it per game in "More"->"Configure" sub-menu on the game page.
Brothan: ok, thanks. I still want to be allowed to simply remove a game off the my games list. Also the client has a really hard time reading ANY game that I have installed from gog(manual scan or not.) Is that just because the client is beta?
I don't think you can remove a game without uninstalling it in current version (1.0.0.871).

As for scanning games, it's an issue for a lot of people. GOG team has been updating installers for a couple of months to make them Galaxy compatible. If you installed a game with an "old" installer, Galaxy won't pick it up. On the game page select "More"->"Manage..."->"Import Folder" and point to to the game folder.