It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lone_Scout: I'm also in favor of 3 month cooldown. Longer cooldowns mean more users having the chance of getting an occasional gift from the giveaway, instead of having always the same people regularly taking advantage of the giveaway.
Yes, that's my sentiment as well. I support all experiments that may produce more different people getting the games.
Seeing the needle move in that direction might sparkle more donors as well, so Doc doesn't hold 98% of donations on his wallet's shoulders.
I'm sure many giveaways-enjoying-GOGers would like to give back to the community but they refrain from it just because they don't want to "feed the snakes".
If anything it should be 6 months cooldown for starred game and 3 months for standard games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post edited March 29, 2024 by zlaywal
high rated
Lone_Scout: I'm also in favor of 3 month cooldown. Longer cooldowns mean more users having the chance of getting an occasional gift from the giveaway, instead of having always the same people regularly taking advantage of the giveaway.
BranjoHello: Yes, that's my sentiment as well. I support all experiments that may produce more different people getting the games.
Seeing the needle move in that direction might sparkle more donors as well, so Doc doesn't hold 98% of donations on his wallet's shoulders.
I'm sure many giveaways-enjoying-GOGers would like to give back to the community but they refrain from it just because they don't want to "feed the snakes".
As one of those occasional donors, I agree. The reason B stopped donating as much was in large part due to his increasing feeling that many had begun using tools to immediately come on as soon as new updates dropped with the attitude of 'My game I want for this month is ...' as if they felt they were owed a free monthly game without even a simple thanks, instead of the original purpose of community participation and sharing of some lesser known or not-so-new or popular suggested games enjoyed by others here. I hope to donate again once my recent medical bills are paid, but I have to admit I will be watching the attitudes in the thread, and I do enjoy hosting creative-participation GAs somewhat more.
Also all for the longer cooldown. Of course, still all against the starred category in itself, so would be all for a 3-month cooldown in general, said that before. Admittedly, when I said that there were very few games being donated, while now the list has actually grown, but it's good to spread them around to more users.
The activity "threshold" should be higher I'd say, but that's another story.
I understand the 3-month cooldown. On the one hand, I would love to have one montly free game, on the other hand, I think that the aim of the community giveaway is to share out games among fellow Goglodytes and this a way to accomplish it. So, my vote is for the 3-month cooldown.
hmmm? I'm fur 3 months cooldown as well.
I am also in favor of a 3-month cooldown. In fact, at first, I thought the winner of a starred game would be sidelined for a full 3 months, but it seems it's less than that.
Another vote for a general 3-month cooldown.
For standard games? Well I'd support a cooldown longer than one month. Even if not 3, a 2 is something at least. Hell, even setting the current cooldowns by days rather than calendar months is something.
Do some people really ask for games every month?
The problem I see with the current system is that what makes a game "starred", outside of popular AAA games or brand new releases, seems to be entirely subjective or even random in some cases. So now some games have one month cooldown and other have three months cooldown, but some of the former are in no way inferior (price-wise or quality-wise) than those of the latter.

There was also a case where a game was put in the standard category and another copy some time later was put in the starred category. It might not be a problem in itself - giving a chance of getting it to more people - but should those people really be "punished" with longer cooldown compared to those who were lucky enough to grab the game quickly?

IMHO cooldown should be equal for both categories. It wouldn't make starred category pointless because it would still serve as a chance to get games for those who visit forum irregularly while getting rid of controversial choices of "better" games.
Post edited March 30, 2024 by ssling
ssling: The problem I see with the current system is that what makes a game "starred", outside of popular AAA games or brand new releases, seems to be entirely subjective or even random in some cases. So now some games have one month cooldown and other have three months cooldown, but some of the former are in no way inferior (price-wise or quality-wise) than those of the latter.

There was also a case where a game was put in the standard category and another copy some time later was put in the starred category. It might not be a problem in itself - giving a chance of getting it to more people - but should those people really be "punished" with longer cooldown compared to those who were lucky enough to grab the game quickly?

IMHO cooldown should be equal for both categories. It wouldn't make starred category pointless because it would still serve as a chance to get games for those who visit forum irregularly while getting rid of controversial choices of "better" games.
It's my fault where a game has appeared as both a starred and regular pick. I choose one game out of each batch of 10 to be starred and I have been using it as an experiment, choosing games that I would be drawn too myself to see how many people share the same taste as I do.

If that game appears in another batch of 10 and I have gone with something else as starred, then there is every chance it will just get lumped in with the regular games this time (Born of Bread springs to mind).

Also, I saw a couple of games (Blood West and Showgunners) get added as regular picks and snapped up straight away when I had assumed that they would have been added as starred games. So the next time I donated copies of them, I asked Benkii to make them starred.
Clairsentient: I am also in favor of a 3-month cooldown. In fact, at first, I thought the winner of a starred game would be sidelined for a full 3 months, but it seems it's less than that.
It works just like the regular cooldown, it's per calendar month, so it's only 3 full months (or one full month for a regular game) if it's obtained on the first of the month. If it's on the last day of the month, the effective cooldown is one day for a regular game and 2 months and one day for a starred one.
Adding my voice to those in favour of a general 3-month cooling period.
Also in favour of longer cooldowns and of Cavalary's idea here:

Cavalary: The activity "threshold" should be higher I'd say, but that's another story.
Post edited April 02, 2024 by Wirvington