It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

onarliog: I am a big time shmup player, and used to play fighters a lot too. A few years ago I custom made an arcade stick, more expensive than I would want to admit, with so much excitement, only to find out that I had long become a 'keyboard guy' over the years. Now the stick's collecting dust somewhere in my basement.

PS. Every time I tell this story some idiot feels obligated to make a snarky comment about how keyboard players suck, and all the rest of it... Then I invite them for a few rounds of Guilty Gear.
Fightsticks seem to be big regrets for everyone.
onarliog: PS. Every time I tell this story some idiot feels obligated to make a snarky comment about how keyboard players suck, and all the rest of it... Then I invite them for a few rounds of Guilty Gear.
I also thought keyboard is fine for fighting games, but then I tried those special moves in the PC version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo where you are supposed to spin the stick around 360 degrees (or was it even 720 degrees?) in a circular motion. Quite hard with the keyboard buttons. :)

Other than that though, I presume keyboard is probably doable.
Post edited October 25, 2015 by timppu

checkpoint saves
tammerwhisk: A necessity to avoid save-scumming.
I get that devs might not want people to save-scum, but checkpointing blows for those of with busy lives and small kids. Fitting in game time is already hard enough without losing progress because something urgent comes up in the middle of a session.
KoreaBeat: I get that devs might not want people to save-scum, but checkpointing blows for those of with busy lives and small kids. Fitting in game time is already hard enough without losing progress because something urgent comes up in the middle of a session.
AMEN!
KoreaBeat: I get that devs might not want people to save-scum, but checkpointing blows for those of with busy lives and small kids. Fitting in game time is already hard enough without losing progress because something urgent comes up in the middle of a session.
Yes, its one of those annoying buzz words now for those too bone idle to manage their own savegames. Me I find it one of the most annoying things in gaming, just moving between predefined saves, I mean what if I want to try different tactics or have different outcomes and haven't got two or three days to get back to that point. Anyways, I am the one playing the game, I should be able to play it as I like.
I started off listing games that I hated but figured that wasnt really fair as others seemed to love them and it was just a personal opinion, but what I really truly regret are games that I bought into the hype and paid full price for. Some were very very good games but I am learning to resist that compulsion and just wait for them to come on sale which they inevitably do, sometimes pretty fast. I have such a backlog of games still waiting to play that I can afford to wait. For that same 60-100 bucks I could have gotten a buttload of just as fun games here on Gog or elsewhere. doh!

micro transaction games, although I try not to rag on myself for it, telling myself that at the time I spent that money on digital goods it was worth it entertainment wise, but naturally looking back when I think of all the cash I spent on silly stuff for an mmo I no longer play I cringe. I really learned my lesson tho, and avoid f2p games like the plague.

a programmable gaming mouse its not that bad but it was an online purchase. I never thought that the thing wouldnt fit my apparently tiny hands, my fingers couldnt even reach most of the programmable buttons. lol another lesson learned, try it on first.
tinyE: AMEN!
I agree with that as well, however, because I'm running windows, using the 'sleep' feature does that in a pinch. It pretty much saves the state of the computer where you left it.

However, micro-saves in games would be freaking awesome.
OK, while responding in this thread, I forgot to mention one of the VR headsets I purchased in the past, the VFX-1 VR headset.

While it was pretty cool for its time, playing games with it really sucked. It had low-resolution and the motion tracking would make one dizzy. The only think I really found it best at was watching movies, because it was like being in a theater.

I still have the gear BTW, but my computer doesn't have the classic "COM" port it needs to connect to.
Post edited October 26, 2015 by JDelekto
Actually I regret nothing. There were games that turned out a disappointment and hardware that broke far sooner than expected (mostly joysticks in my Amiga time, killed a lot of those). But I can chalk off every one of those as "experience".

I mean I was really mad about some (German version) games being censored (like, ie. Turok, which was also not a very good game on PC), but it just made aware of the issue and more careful - and a more avid speaker against censorship.
I've bought a few games I ended up not really playing, even at full price when I still was on my parent's allowance - so yeah, it hurt. But in retrospect I can't say I regret buying those games. I'm still proud of my copy of Bandit Kings of Ancient China, even if I've not played it a lot and never beaten it.

I can't even say I regret the lost time playing through Rise of the Triad - a (IMO ) really bland and boring game if you look beyond the excessive display of guts and gore. But that one is off-topic anyway since I've never spend any money on it (it was the "hot shit" at the time because, you know, Germany...)
Gog8: Nothing.
Probably because you haven't ever bought anything yourself.

www.gog.com/forum/general/gogs_general_trading_thread?search=gog8
stg83: Probably because you haven't ever bought anything yourself.

www.gog.com/forum/general/gogs_general_trading_thread?search=gog8
So what unpopular opinion killed your rep?
timppu: I also thought keyboard is fine for fighting games, but then I tried those special moves in the PC version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo where you are supposed to spin the stick around 360 degrees (or was it even 720 degrees?) in a circular motion. Quite hard with the keyboard buttons. :)

Other than that though, I presume keyboard is probably doable.
Fighting games are better on consoles. It's just easier to play local multiplayer sitting on couch and looking at big screen TV than crowding around a computer.
I spent 3 grand on an early plasma flatscreen tv for use with my ps2 and xbox way back in the day. Tv wasn't too bad, and it's still working, but... 3 thousand dollars. 3 thousand dollars can buy a lot of things, least of which should be a plasma television.

Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.
onarliog: I am a big time shmup player, and used to play fighters a lot too. A few years ago I custom made an arcade stick, more expensive than I would want to admit, with so much excitement, only to find out that I had long become a 'keyboard guy' over the years. Now the stick's collecting dust somewhere in my basement.

PS. Every time I tell this story some idiot feels obligated to make a snarky comment about how keyboard players suck, and all the rest of it... Then I invite them for a few rounds of Guilty Gear.
Darvond: Fightsticks seem to be big regrets for everyone.
My buddy got a Sega Turbo Touch back in the day.

It collected dust faster Than the Sega CD
Attachments:
Post edited October 26, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
ScotchMonkey: My buddy got a Sega Turbo Touch back in the day.

It collected dust faster Than the Sega CD
At least the CD has Panic, Snatcher, Ecco and other not terrible games.

Oh, one of those. How did those work anyway? Terrible membranes?
Post edited October 26, 2015 by Darvond
Gnostic: Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect. Tiberium sun 4, cause it become Always Online DRM
Punkoinyc: That's why I got Diablo 3, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age on Playstation and Xbox instead of PC.
Damming stuff, maybe I should download the superior crack version since I already paid for it, then again, there are lots of amazing DRM free games in my backlog, so just cut off all future purchase from such company, which I did 3 years ago.