It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

keeveek: How about Fallout: Nev Vegas GOTY? I'm asking in advance
What about Fallout? Everything by Bethesda and Id is not available here at all, because some idiot signed exclusive distribution with one ass (1C). I'll be trading for it myself most likely using the shitload of stuff I've accumulated at GG.
So it's similar to how it is in Poland. We can't buy Skyrim directly on steam...
keeveek: So it's similar to how it is in Poland. We can't buy Skyrim directly on steam...
We can't either, so I'm guessing it's for most of Eastern Europe.
Balazs: We can't either, so I'm guessing it's for most of Eastern Europe.
Yes. 1C has very long fingers, unfortunately.
Balazs: We can't either, so I'm guessing it's for most of Eastern Europe.
bazilisek: Yes. 1C has very long fingers, unfortunately.
But why would they do this? I mean, who benefits from not allowing us to buy certain games?
Balazs: But why would they do this? I mean, who benefits from not allowing us to buy certain games?
Nobody. I dug around in this because of New Vegas and its inexplicably delayed DLC, and it's all a bit of a mystery. Bethesda, Valve and 1C keep pointing fingers at each other, and all swear they would amend the situation in an instant if it weren't for the other parties.

The exclusive distribution contract between 1C and Bethesda probably wasn't entirely kosher, that's what it seems to boil down to. Who knows what's actually in it.
Post edited July 02, 2012 by bazilisek
Lithuania can't get Skyrim from Steam either, but it's all over the retail stores, so I guess that's the people who win.
bazilisek: The exclusive distribution contract between 1C and Bethesda probably wasn't entirely kosher, that's what it seems to boil down to. Who knows what's actually in it.
It probably is a combination of "exclusivity deals" a publishing deal can be sold a lot bigger if you are the "only one". That is what 1C got for eastern Europe/Russia (which was, until Steam cracked it, a very undesirable market anyway. So most bigger pubs were probably happy to see at least some money from there). Now 1C on the otherhand probably has a few distribution deals that infer with digital releases. I don't know if there are any big electronic retail chains in Russia, but they probably had a clause somewhere that said "no digital releases" to protect electronic retailers. Which from my experience really doesn't make sense either, because for the most time "retail" in Russia meant pirated games. But my trips to Russia were "stopovers" at best, so I don't really know the local market structure.

But those contracts will probably run out soon anyway, and with Steams success, 1C dominance with probably crumble.
Profanity: Lithuania can't get Skyrim from Steam either, but it's all over the retail stores, so I guess that's the people who win.
Ah, ninja confirmed! Thanks!
Post edited July 02, 2012 by SimonG
Balazs: But why would they do this? I mean, who benefits from not allowing us to buy certain games?
bazilisek: Nobody. I dug around in this because of New Vegas and its inexplicably delayed DLC, and it's all a bit of a mystery. Bethesda, Valve and 1C keep pointing fingers at each other, and all swear they would amend the situation in an instant if it weren't for the other parties.

The exclusive distribution contract between 1C and Bethesda probably wasn't entirely kosher, that's what it seems to boil down to. Who knows what's actually in it.
Well, this is pretty weird in this case. I just hope this will get resolved at some point, because it's really annoying. :|
Balazs: Well, this is pretty weird in this case. I just hope this will get resolved at some point, because it's really annoying. :|
I suspect it will only get resolved when the contract expires. If there's a clause preventing Zenimax/Bethesda from selling digital copies of their games in the territories covered by 1C and its subsidiaries, there isn't a whole lot anyone can do about that.

(Though it's probably much more complicated than that – I can buy New Vegas here, for example, even though only in the Eastern European version, and the Id catalogue is actually fully available in the Czech Republic, unlike in Russia. In other words, it's a mess.)
Post edited July 02, 2012 by bazilisek
Guys, Lithuania isn't Russia. :<

Oh, and about the retail only Skyrim - I'm pretty sure we still have to activate the thing on Steam, as it comes with a code. Maybe they don't value Steam as a good money maker in eastern Europe (pretty much what Simon said with the whole exclusivity selling better) though, they seem to value it only as a DRM for those blocked out games.
Post edited July 02, 2012 by Profanity
The pirates.
What? You don't want my money? Ok... free suits me just fine thank you!
Profanity: Lithuania can't get Skyrim from Steam either, but it's all over the retail stores, so I guess that's the people who win.
Pirates win :P

I won't buy a retail game for 140 PLN , when I could have bought it for less on Steam, but the publisher wouldn't let me. Screw them both - I will pirate that game.

Well, I don't, because I am not interested in Skyrim enough to download dozen gigabytes of data, unpack it, burn it, crack it, etc. But you know the point.
Post edited July 02, 2012 by keeveek
SimonG: It probably is a combination of "exclusivity deals" a publishing deal can be sold a lot bigger if you are the "only one". That is what 1C got for eastern Europe/Russia (which was, until Steam cracked it, a very undesirable market anyway.
I see what you did there :))
GameStop / Impulse

Wastelands Strategy Bundle $23.99

includes :

Strategic War in Europe
World War 2: Time of Wrath
Storm Over the Pacific

Empire & Napoleon Total War™ - GotYE $7.49
Section 8® - Prejudice $7.49
Post edited July 02, 2012 by ne_zavarj