It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SimonG: But they still only do it for their "flagship titles". So basically when it comes to recent AAA EA titles Origin is pretty much like Steam. But for everything else it is like a "Gamersgate client" in form of DRM. Online to install and "original DRM" in place. So for some people that might be noticeable difference...

On the other hand, Steam by itself doesn't have always online DRM, which some EA titles have.
Well, since most new titles are going to be using it according to Origin's FAQ, that number of titles will just keep growing over time. I can use Steam to download DRM free titles and Dosbox games and forget about Steam after that but I doubt the people who 'hate the hell out of steam' see that as an excuse for what Steam is. Over time Origin is going to be the same thing.

I can see arguing using it *now* because it's not there yet, but 'supporting' it because now it's still different from Steam is backwards since it's obviously going to be the same thing in the future.

And yes, for those titles where it's already 'pretty much like Steam' that invalidates it alltogether for those people I'd imagine.

Basically, as i said, I really don't see any sense in the thinking that people who hate Steam for what it is should be supporting Origin, unless they really just want Origin to succeed to spite Steam, even if it's the same thing in the end. Which basically means that DRM really isn't the point behind it at all.
Post edited June 19, 2012 by Pheace
Spellforce 2 faith in destiny released today....
mshashankr: Spellforce 2 faith in destiny released today....
The feature list reads like they put all buzzwords in a blender.
Unepic(Indie of the year 2011) is 50% off on Gamersgate, costs 4.98 euros:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-UNEPIC/unepic?caff=5969452
Steam Midweek Madness: 75% off Men Of War Series.

Steam Daily Deal: 50% off Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. Although that's how much you'd pay anyway if you just bought the LucasArts Adventure Pack - Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, LOOM, The Dig.
ABH20: Steam Midweek Madness: 75% off Men Of War Series.

Steam Daily Deal: 50% off Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. Although that's how much you'd pay anyway if you just bought the LucasArts Adventure Pack - Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, LOOM, The Dig.
Also the Cube Pack - Bit.Trip Runner, Blocks That Matter, Critical Mass, EDGE, Q.U.B.E. and RUSH for $10.

I might go for that one.
Pheace: [...] that most new games by EA will be requiring Origin installed [...]
SimonG: That is the point. I asume StingingVelvet was talking about the older games that were releaesed before Origin came out . Those only need Origin to download the games, they do not need it to run the game. Many games can be installed with Origin and Origin can than be forgotten or even uninstalled.

The number of games that actually need Origin to run simultaniously is far and few between and affects only games released very recently.
This, I'm only aware of BF3 that requires this, I have at least a half dozen "Origin" games and none of them could give a shit if it's running or even installed. If it is running you can access the Origin "overlay" just like you can with Steam, unlike Steam, you don't need it (or need any convoluted set up to play in "offline mode").
SimonG: The number of games that actually need Origin to run simultaniously is far and few between and affects only games released very recently.
Pheace: True, but that doesn't change what Origin is or what it's trying to do. Supporting it is supporting what it does now, which is to have most of their new games linked to the Origin client. Supporting that is just backwards for anyone who opposes a client as DRM.
Anyone prognosticating the future of Origin has pretty much nothing to go on. Trust me, if they "win" this or even stay in the game what they envision now is likely to barely resemble what Origin actually is. If they steal Steam sales because their client is actually less intrusive they're not dumb, they'll consider that "value" and only cash it in for something of greater value. Right now marketshare means a lot to them.

So, you can either contribute to Steam which is DRM right now or contribute to Origin which is mostly bucking the trend, but may become DRM in the future.

You're basically punishing them right now for potential future bad behavior. This makes nearly as little sense as the common gamer practice of continuing to punish a big company for doing the right thing, because they've done the wrong thing in the past. It's the business equivalent of shoving your dog's nose in his shit pile outside in the yard because last week he shit in the house.
Post edited June 19, 2012 by orcishgamer
orcishgamer: Anyone prognosticating the future of Origin has pretty much nothing to go on. Trust me, if they "win" this or even stay in the game what they envision now is likely to barely resemble what Origin actually is. If they steal Steam sales because their client is actually less intrusive they're not dumb, they'll consider that "value" and only cash it in for something of greater value. Right now marketshare means a lot to them.

So, you can either contribute to Steam which is DRM right now or contribute to Origin which is mostly bucking the trend, but may become DRM in the future.

You're basically punishing them right now for potential future bad behavior. This makes nearly as little sense as the common gamer practice of continuing to punish a big company for doing the right thing, because they've done the wrong thing in the past. It's the business equivalent of shoving your dog's nose in his shit pile outside in the yard because last week he shit in the house.
Uh no. Colorful comparisons aside, I'm basically stating what the Origin FAQ already mentioned when they put out Origin. (you know, by the guys behind Origin). The fact that newer games (BF3, ME3) need Origin in one way or another already supports that fact. They also confirmed the new Sim City will need it.

You seem to be overlooking what's right in front of you just to make your own point stick, yet it's quite obvious EA is doing exactly the opposite of what you're praising it for, keeping Origin out of the games.

But yes, feel free to recommend 'supporting' Origin based on games coming out before it's implementation being free from it, despite the trend since then (ie: 'right now') showing they're doing their best to tie games into it. Rewarding them for hypothetical 'potential good behavior' despite doing wrong things in the present (and near future with SC)
Post edited June 19, 2012 by Pheace
orcishgamer: Anyone prognosticating the future of Origin has pretty much nothing to go on. Trust me, if they "win" this or even stay in the game what they envision now is likely to barely resemble what Origin actually is. If they steal Steam sales because their client is actually less intrusive they're not dumb, they'll consider that "value" and only cash it in for something of greater value. Right now marketshare means a lot to them.

Pheace: Uh no. Colorful comparisons aside, I'm basically stating what the Origin FAQ already mentioned when they put out Origin. (you know, by the guys behind Origin). The fact that newer games (BF3, ME3) need Origin in one way or another already supports that fact. They also confirmed the new Sim City will need it.

You seem to be overlooking what's right in front of you just to make your own point stick, yet it's quite obvious EA is doing exactly the opposite of what you're praising it for, keeping Origin out of the games.

But yes, feel free to recommend 'supporting' Origin based on games coming out before it's implementation being free from it, despite the trend since then (ie: 'right now') showing they're doing their best to tie games into it. Rewarding them for hypothetical 'potential good behavior' despite doing wrong things in the present (and near future with SC)
Unless they changed their mind (and they may have, I didn't buy ME3, but I could find no mention of what you said about Origin on the net) ME3 requires Origin to ACTIVATE, as in once, not always. That's a far cry from Steam.

Again, the only game I know for a fact requires Origin to be running in order to simply play your game is BF3. If you have a reference for any others I'd love to read them.

So no, as it stands, Origin doesn't seem to be quite as bad as Steam. Supporting Steam and refusing to support Origin is pretty damned silly. As you brought up the back catalog on Steam that doesn't actually require Steam, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out Origin's version of said catalog is as extensive and includes far newer games.
Mass Effect 3 requires origin to be running in order to play and not just activate/install so its pretty much the same as steam in that regard and I can only assume that more EA games will follow this example.
orcishgamer: Again, the only game I know for a fact requires Origin to be running in order to simply play your game is BF3. If you have a reference for any others I'd love to read them.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gaming_deals_thread/post27726
Etdn: Mass Effect 3 requires origin to be running in order to play and not just activate/install so its pretty much the same as steam in that regard and I can only assume that more EA games will follow this example.
orcishgamer: Again, the only game I know for a fact requires Origin to be running in order to simply play your game is BF3. If you have a reference for any others I'd love to read them.
Avogadro6: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gaming_deals_thread/post27726
Thank you, I stand corrected.
Post edited June 19, 2012 by orcishgamer
Hard Reset is the daily deal on GamersGate.

Hard Reset - $6.80 - £4.42 - €6.12

com link, co.uk link

It's a Steamworks title
gyokzoli: Hard Reset is the daily deal on GamersGate.

Hard Reset - $6.80 - £4.42 - €6.12

com link, co.uk link

It's a Steamworks title
This is actually a game for all those complaining that there are no more games like DOOM. That is a pure, awesome fast-paced shooter with loads of fun. Highly recommended!
Another small freebie on Desuara: Blogic