It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tomimt: I think Frontier might have avoided this whole current shitstorm they're in right now if they would just have made to offline single player anouncements like this:

"We are sorry, but offline is not going to happen. We are refunding for everyone this is a dealbreaker."

I do think had they announced it like that they would have far less people asking for refunds than they have now, as I do believe some people are asking it because Frontier has managed to come out from this looking like total asses.

Now how the things are turning out they are doing more damage to themselves by not agreeing to those refunds. Everywhere I've seen news about this the discussion is very negative towards Frontier and the situation right now is such a PR disaster for them that it could potentially drive the whole company down.
To be honest I think Frontier might have avoided all this mess altogether if they had mantained an offline mode. Regardless of their excuses I don't think it would be so hard to create.
In fact, in my humble opinion, it probably wouldn't be too different a gameplay than that which we can see in Elite 2.

I think Braben (who, in the past has proven to be an asshole in certain matters) is just stubbornly refusing to have it offline, "because he can".
MaGo72: I remember a time when developers where looking for Beta players and had to employ people for stress tests of the servers and to find bugs.

So people played the game to help the developers and this is the rope that prevents them from getting a refund...nice FD.
Better yet, I remember a time when game developpers used to distribute free playable demos of their games on gaming magazines.
Nowadays, they sell the demos on Steam and call it "early access".
Post edited November 20, 2014 by karnak1
karnak1: Better yet, I remember a time when game developpers used to distribute free playable demos of their games on gaming magazines.
I have to disagree on this, I think it's more correct to call that "You pay for alpha/beta testing games instead the other way around"
karnak1: Better yet, I remember a time when game developpers used to distribute free playable demos of their games on gaming magazines.
joriandrake: I have to disagree on this, I think it's more correct to call that "You pay for alpha/beta testing games instead the other way around"
You're absolutely correct. Nowadays one's a full part of a game's development process. I remember that, in some games the final credits used to list the beta-testers.

Now you pay, you work and your reward is... a game that you've already paid. :P
joriandrake: I have to disagree on this, I think it's more correct to call that "You pay for alpha/beta testing games instead the other way around"
karnak1: You're absolutely correct. Nowadays one's a full part of a game's development process. I remember that, in some games the final credits used to list the beta-testers.

Now you pay, you work and your reward is... a game that you've already paid. :P
The trend is worse than that.

Pay for early access. -> Developers say they're tired of the project, tell gamers to have fun with the beta and please buy their upcoming sequel too.
Anyone still remembers Star Command?

It was one of Kickstarter's first gaming fiasco/fraud.

I remember that a friend of mine was jumping all over the place because he was expecting the game to be the next step in space-exploration-combat gaming. Now he pretends that the game never existed. eh eh eh

I suppose the same thing will happen with the "Brabenites" when E:D bombs. Everyone will move on, look at the side, whistle and pretend nothing ever happened.
karnak1: Anyone still remembers Star Command?

It was one of Kickstarter's first gaming fiasco/fraud.

I remember that a friend of mine was jumping all over the place because he was expecting the game to be the next step in space-exploration-combat gaming. Now he pretends that the game never existed. eh eh eh

I suppose the same thing will happen with the "Brabenites" when E:D bombs. Everyone will move on, look at the side, whistle and pretend nothing ever happened.
Nah. I've been reading the threads on the E: D forum, it got locked when it reached 10,000 posts, a new was started that's quickly coming up to 1,000 posts and I think E: D is heading for a MOBA/MMO death. A few fanatical players (Brabenites.) hanging on to the last server that's on life support for years.

Personally I'm not angry or surprised even though Elite may very well be my most favourite game ever and I'm pining for another in the series that's like the first.
I knew Braben could be a prick and online have been constantly mentioned as the focus during news so I didn't back it.
Link to petition on change.org for reinstating single player:

https://www.change.org/p/frontier-developments-david-braben-please-re-instate-offline-mode-of-elite-dangerous-either-before-official-release-or-at-least-as-an-update-within-good-time-after-the-release-date
Will not be done. They have most probably developed E: D solely with online in mind for a long time. Maybe, just maybe they'll do it within a year but that I think is a slim chance.

They'll put adverts in the game. Companies totally love online adverts as a money generator so getting them to let go off that will be a epic battle. Probably it's a big part of their business plan so they've calculated with it in mind.
Man, just hurry up and give me my refund.
I have better things to spend my money on now.
Getcomposted: Man, just hurry up and give me my refund.
I have better things to spend my money on now.
If you've played it I'll say you've got a 50% chance.

It was pretty clear that the following is more or less how E: D was developed.
E: D needed nostalgic and curious gamers to get it started with a kickstarter. When development was up and running they did a business decision to dump the "old customers" because many of them would pay the game once and play offline and instead concentrate on younger and online oriented mmo/etc gamers that are fine with things like adverts and payment schemes like DLC.

It's all about how many refund requests they get. If those reach a critical number for the business they'll cave and provide refunds. The current shitstorm doesn't bother them much because their targeted customers are totally fine with always online and the like.
Post edited November 20, 2014 by Tarm
I just a received a mail from the Elite store telling me that my ticket has been re-opened and that they are investigation my request.

However they did say in the mail that the reason why they originally denied my refund request was because their records showed that I played the game on-line... which is wrong, I never even downloaded the game.
Tarm: If you've played it I'll say you've got a 50% chance.

E: D needed nostalgic and curious gamers to get it started with a kickstarter. When development was up and running they did a business decision to dump the "old customers" because many of them would pay the game once and play offline and instead concentrate on younger and online oriented mmo/etc gamers that's fine with things like adverts and payment schemes like DLC.

It's all about how many refund requests they get. If those reach a critical number for the business they'll cave and provide refunds. The current shitstorm doesn't bother them much because their targeted customers are totally fine with always online and the like.
I was too late for the Kickstarter, so I pre-ordered the Beta from their website, but I never got around to playing it. I downloaded the file, but I never installed it. And at no time have I ever been online with it.
So I should hopefully get my refund?
I'll pledge for Thimbleweed Park instead.
Tarm: If you've played it I'll say you've got a 50% chance.

E: D needed nostalgic and curious gamers to get it started with a kickstarter. When development was up and running they did a business decision to dump the "old customers" because many of them would pay the game once and play offline and instead concentrate on younger and online oriented mmo/etc gamers that's fine with things like adverts and payment schemes like DLC.

Getcomposted: I was too late for the Kickstarter, so I pre-ordered the Beta from their website, but I never got around to playing it. I downloaded the file, but I never installed it. And at no time have I ever been online with it.
So I should hopefully get my refund?
I'll pledge for Thimbleweed Park instead.
Hm. Going by what I've read I honestly don't know.
What I've seen is that those that have bought it from the E: D store are getting refunds.
Backers I don't know if they get anything.
Those that have played the beta or any other version are refused and here's the question mark. Gersen in the post above yours seem to be in a similar situation as you. Do they refund Beta versions that haven't been played? My guess is they do not. Yet at least.
Post edited November 20, 2014 by Tarm
Tarm: Personally I'm not angry or surprised even though Elite may very well be my most favourite game ever and I'm pining for another in the series that's like the first.
Did you enjoy Elite 2?
Man, I loved the game (even though it really had no plot, like the first Elite). One could really feel that we were on a virtual Cosmos.

Too bad that the game was too advanced for its time and had no legacy to speak of (except for the meh Elite 3).
Post edited November 20, 2014 by karnak1
Tarm: Personally I'm not angry or surprised even though Elite may very well be my most favourite game ever and I'm pining for another in the series that's like the first.
karnak1: Did you enjoy Elite 2?
Man, I loved the game (even though it really had no plot, like the first Elite). One could really feel that we were on a virtual Cosmos.

Too bad that the game was too advanced for its time and had no legacy to speak of (except for the meh Elite 3).
Not really. I could never get used to the Newtonian Physics. Elite + and Wing Commander: Privateer are right up my alley though. :)