It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

karnak1: Just out of curiosity: after you download and install the said games are you able to move the game files to another PC and still be able to play them?
JMich: Don't have a second PC to test them. But for Carmageddon, I run WinDiff comparing GOG and Steam versions. Results here. Binary files are identical.
Same holds true for every DosBox game, since they don't depend on anything other than DosBox itself.

Edit: And for DosBox games, there is no install step. Just distribution.
Well, in that case, if those games are fully executable and workable in any PC then my guess is that they are DRM-Free.

Interesting...

After all this time only today did I manage to discover that GOG already has a game by Frontier Developments. :P
Post edited November 18, 2014 by karnak1
aluinie: Well got a response back on my ticket which says the following

Hi Philip,

Kickstarter pledges are an investment into a project, with the understanding that elements of the initial pitch may change or be removed as development progresses.

The cancellations and returns policy on our site states that digital products are non-refundable once they are downloaded and played by the customer. As such, we are unable to offer you a refund on this purchase.

I’m sorry that we cannot assist you further in this instance.

Sincerely,

I am so pissed now and feel like i wont be doing any more kickstarters in the future because of this.
I just got the same message. Well, that is the last time I back any of these Kickstarter type projects.
getlogan: I just got the same message. Well, that is the last time I back any of these Kickstarter type projects.
The sad thing is that Kickstarter is getting collateral damage from all this Braben shenanigans.

Let's not forget that many great games (Faster Than Light, Wasteland 2, Paper Sorceror, Divinity 3, etc) were funded through KS and they managed to deliver.

Let's not punish the innocent, folks.
karnak1: The sad thing is that Kickstarter is getting collateral damage from all this Braben shenanigans.

How innocent are they, if their TOS are so wishy washy that Frontier can get away with this kind of stunt? What are they doing right now to pressure Frontier into refunding the money?
realkman666: I guess I'll just consider all Steam to be DRM.
Pheace: Stubbornheadedly doing so despite knowing better is your own prerogative of course. Even if the store page doesn't tell you, it doesn't change the fact that there are DRM-free games distributed by Steam.
They can tell me about it themselves if that's the case.
Atlantico: No I don't, you have to show that it ISN'T the case.
Wow, not only did you ask people to prove a lack of existence of something, which is a logical fallacy all by itself, JMich with amok ran and actually proved it. And you still failed to bring any actual arguments to the discussion, aside from 'because I say so'.

realkman666: You'll find a few of these around here. Don't worry about them too much.
Yes, you'll find a fair share of people who bother to check their facts and to not spread misinformation around here. That's why I still frequent the boards. I don't have to rely on blind bias and information I get around here are usually surprisingly reliable.

realkman666: He doesn't need arguments. Did you ever find out if copying files around with using Steam is respecting the terms of service.
He doesn't need arguments ... In a discussion? Well that's a new one. I'm also fairly sure that in the last discussion, we have figured that it all comes down to local laws of software licensing, which you conveniently forgot. There's nothing in Steam's EULA which would prevent this behaviour.

realkman666: They can tell me about it themselves if that's the case.
Look, you can plug your ears and yell 'LALALALA', but you can't change facts. What, mostly JMich, presents here is not an argument - it's a series of factual information. Banging your head against the wall is your choice, but it will not change reality in any way - there are games, on Steam, which use DRMed distribution method (just as GOG), but offer DRM-free games. Even worse, insistance on lying and spreading misinformation instead of just ... You know, presenting the facts, actively harms the 'DRM-free' revolution GOG keeps preaching.

The moment Steam users find that there are games more convenient to use even on their preferred platform, and the moment they realize this is the better way, we get closer and closer towards reality where DRM does not need to be a factor. Of course, if you act in the same manner as Steam fanatics, you're only going to strenghten their resolve.

Extremism and insistance that a single way is the only way to do things is how Steam got its position on the market, pointless loyalty is how it remains in prominence. How can anyone hope to fix any of these issues by joining the underlaying problem is beyond me.

aluinie: I am so pissed now and feel like i wont be doing any more kickstarters in the future because of this.
Well that's a load of crap... I know all too well how can software development spin, but you should never make promises that you cannot keep. Every time I see a promise of DRM-free on kickstarter, I see an empty marketing trick to lure more people in - at least say 'We will do our best to bring a DRM-free release'
Post edited November 19, 2014 by Fenixp
Well, I didn't get any message back for my refund request for now, but I didn't download, nor play the beta. So that might be it.

But if the first part of the answer is worth for every kickstarter backer, I don't think I have much hope of seeing my money back...

I feel like a bad clone of Thatcher right now :)
mangamuscle: I think this calls for a class action lawsuit, pronto!
Gersen: Well class action don't exists in Europe (nor in Switzerland for that matter...)
There are civil procedures rules in England (where David Braben lives):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action#United_Kingdom

here is the specific rule:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part19#19.6

All you people need is a representative who does the procedings in the UK.
karnak1: The sad thing is that Kickstarter is getting collateral damage from all this Braben shenanigans.

jamotide: How innocent are they, if their TOS are so wishy washy that Frontier can get away with this kind of stunt? What are they doing right now to pressure Frontier into refunding the money?
By "innocent" I don't mean the Kickstarter company.
I'm talking about the serious folk who use it in order to materialize their projects.
So it's a single-player game that relies on data from a remote server in order to play? Interesting design decision. I can understand if they wanted the player to be able to experience a dynamic world affected by other players without actually having to deal with other players (to avoid griefing, for instance), but it should be completely possible to make an offline bit of code that still provides that dynamic experience - just maybe not quite as dynamic as one affected by human players.
HereForTheBeer: So it's a single-player game that relies on data from a remote server in order to play? Interesting design decision. I can understand if they wanted the player to be able to experience a dynamic world affected by other players without actually having to deal with other players (to avoid griefing, for instance), but it should be completely possible to make an offline bit of code that still provides that dynamic experience - just maybe not quite as dynamic as one affected by human players.
Those were mostly my thoughts as well, but I don't know how far the 'dynamic' part of the game goes - nonetheless, if it's just players passively changing in which direction the universe evolves, it would be possible to design the game around the idea of periodically synchronizing with the server as opposed to 100% connection time? Unless it's to prevent some sort of cheating?
high rated
MaGo72: 6. In-Game Advertising

"The Software Product may incorporate technology (which may be provided by Frontier or third party service providers engaged by Frontier (each a "Dynamic Advertising Provider")) which enables advertising to be uploaded into the Software Product on your PC, and changed while the Software Product is being played on-line. In order that the Dynamic Advertising Provider is able to direct advertising appropriate to your Software Product and geographic region, as well as to the correct location within the computer game, certain non-personally identifiable data and information may be retrieved and retained by the Dynamic Advertising Provider including your I.P. address, geographic location, in-game position, and information concerning the appearance of advertising visible during your gameplay (for example, the length of time an item of advertising was visible, the dimensions of the advertisements). In addition, the Dynamic Advertising Provider may assign a unique identification number which is stored on your PC and which is used to monitor and calculate the number of views of dynamic advertising during gameplay. None of the information collected for this purpose including the identification number can be used to identify you.

The technology employed by Dynamic Advertising Providers may be located outside your country of residence (including outside of the European Union).

Where a Software Product incorporates dynamic advertising technology, the technology which serves the provision of dynamic in-game advertising is integrated within the Software Product. This means that if you do not want to receive dynamic advertising, you should only play the game when you are not connected to the Internet. "

In my opinion, depending on the scale of the the advertising and the if the advertisers are third parties, it would for me get to the point, where they have to pay me to play it or make it accessible for free.
WHAT THE FUCK!

So in the end it has fuck all to do with 'providing a better experience' and everything to do with selling targeted advertising space.

Christ on a bike, this just gets worse.

Fuck these guys, fuck them right in the ear. It's now officially worse than herpes.
Post edited November 19, 2014 by Tormentfan
I don't see how advertising would be anything other than offensively anachronistic. This game is set in the year 3300. Just about any product sold today would either no longer exist or have changed into an unrecognisable form.
Arkose: I don't see how advertising would be anything other than offensively anachronistic. This game is set in the year 3300. Just about any product sold today would either no longer exist or have changed into an unrecognisable form.
Exactly, it will just be too jarring seeing products from today advertising. A Star Citizen ad would be funny though.
Post edited November 19, 2014 by Ravenvolf
jamotide: They denied everyones refunds! What a rip!
As I mentioned before, if possible request a chargeback from your card provider (although for many too much time may have passed for this to be an option). For those in Europe I'd also recommend submitting complaints to any relevant consumer protection bodies (this goes doubly so for anyone in the UK, as they'll have the most bite with Frontier being UK based). Basically do everything possible to make this a very, very expensive misstep for them.