It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fenixp: I couldn't for the life of me find a way to launch those outside of Steam ... Script ... Thing :-/ (for the record, those are the ones creating needed registry entries).

I suppose packaging SteamService.exe would do the trick, presuming it'll work without Steam being installed on the system.
Sometimes the file is created on first run, other times it's hidden in a sub-folder, e.g. the one with DX etc redistributables, third times it's called runasadmin.vdf, or maybe even something else. It really depends on the game.

Regardless, in the vast majority of cases these scripts merely deal with the redistributables. If and when there are registry entries, the game rarely actually depends on them. For each game, you can parse the file yourself, using any old text editor and see what's going on.

And FFS, stop with the pointless DRM discussion. The trolls will keep at what they do, no need to keep feeding them. Learning tidbits about how Steam installs things, like the one above, will be much more helpful to people in making up their minds on these things than all the demagoguery in the world.
JMich: Carmageddon 1. DosBox game, so after distribution, you can close Steam and play it. There's no installation in it. Same for X-Com: UFO Defense.
Your turn.
Just out of curiosity: after you download and install the said games are you able to move the game files to another PC and still be able to play them?
karnak1: Just out of curiosity: after you download and install the said games are you able to move the game files to another PC and still be able to play them?
Don't have a second PC to test them. But for Carmageddon, I run WinDiff comparing GOG and Steam versions. Results here. Binary files are identical.
Same holds true for every DosBox game, since they don't depend on anything other than DosBox itself.

Edit: And for DosBox games, there is no install step. Just distribution.
Post edited November 18, 2014 by JMich
realkman666: Fine, it's necessary. Happy now?
JMich: For distribution. Installation and execution may or may not require Steam. The distinction isn't on needed/necessary, it's on which stage needs it.
How do I check that on the store page?
Grargar: Shitstorm incoming?
The whole fecalfront should hit any minute now.
Grargar: Shitstorm incoming?
Titanium: The whole fecalfront should hit any minute now.
Poor fan.
Grargar: Poor fan.
I am sooo re-watching that movie tonight. Thanks.
Titanium: I am sooo re-watching that movie tonight. Thanks.
You can never go wrong with a classic. ;)
Grargar: Poor fan.
That made my day thanks
realkman666: How do I check that on the store page?
You don't. Stuff like Enhanced Steam may help you identify games with 3rd Party DRM, but I'm not sure if they show CEG or not. So your best bet would be the list of DRM-Free games on Steam, either , on [url=http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games]Steam wikia or PC Gaming Wiki.
If you don't want to risk getting a game that may possibly have DRM, then avoid getting any game on Steam, especially since the DRM status may change without notice (Skyrim got DRM'd, Half-Life 2 went DRM-Free).
Kristian: Atlantico, I think you are tacitly assuming that there is always an authentication step with Steam installations. You need to SHOW that that is the case.
Atlantico: No I don't, you have to show that it ISN'T the case.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/frontier_have_decided_to_make_elite_dangerous_online_only/post207
realkman666: How do I check that on the store page?
JMich: You don't. Stuff like Enhanced Steam may help you identify games with 3rd Party DRM, but I'm not sure if they show CEG or not. So your best bet would be the list of DRM-Free games on Steam, either , on [url=http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games]Steam wikia or PC Gaming Wiki.
If you don't want to risk getting a game that may possibly have DRM, then avoid getting any game on Steam, especially since the DRM status may change without notice (Skyrim got DRM'd, Half-Life 2 went DRM-Free).
I guess I'll just consider all Steam to be DRM.
JMich: You don't. Stuff like Enhanced Steam may help you identify games with 3rd Party DRM, but I'm not sure if they show CEG or not. So your best bet would be the list of DRM-Free games on Steam, either , on [url=http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games]Steam wikia or PC Gaming Wiki.
realkman666: I guess I'll just consider all Steam to be DRM.
Stubbornheadedly doing so despite knowing better is your own prerogative of course. Even if the store page doesn't tell you, it doesn't change the fact that there are DRM-free games distributed by Steam.
aluinie: I am so pissed now and feel like i wont be doing any more kickstarters in the future because of this.
Gersen: I received exactly the same response, not a similar response, exactly the same word by word...
I think this calls for a class action lawsuit, pronto!
mangamuscle: I think this calls for a class action lawsuit, pronto!
Well class action don't exists in Europe (nor in Switzerland for that matter...)