It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Leonard03: ...
HypersomniacLive: Just drawing your attention - who are #9 and #11 supposed to be?
drat.
The idea was this would never have to be asked.
#9 is trentonlf
#11 is JMich
Leonard03: drat.
#9 is trentonlf
#11 is JMich
what is below the dog in number 9?
#9 is trentonlf
#11 is JMich
trentonlf: what is below the dog in number 9?
That would be a "P" and an "M" hiding behind something.
Leonard03: ...
HypersomniacLive: Just drawing your attention - who are #9 and #11 supposed to be?
I understood (mostly)! Yay!
#9 is trentonlf
#11 is JMich
Yay, never mind, after a more careful look, I figured it out.
yogsloth: Totally true story:

Last night, all done for the day, in bed and dropping slowly off to sleep, my wife suddenly turns to me and asks:

"Honey, have you ever headlamp sausage?"

I panicked. This is the type of question for which there is simply so suitable response. There is absolutely no set of experiences in my nearly forty years of life which have adequately prepared me to handle such a question. Is this a metaphor? A hypothetical? Is she talking about coal miners' breakfasts? Do I play it cool? Play it dumb? Just ignore it entirely and hope the questions just crawls off and dies quietly on its own? What does one do?

I finally settled on the "eloquent" response:

"What the fuck is a headlamp sausage?"

As it turns out, she was actually asking me if I had ever had lamb sausage, but truth be told, I really didn't think that question was any more sensible than the first version.
This is the funniest thing I read all night. xD Cheers!
I'm alive, and I actually know what the issue is, more or less. Perhaps TMI (and better not in the game thread) but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

Shortish version, your body has the "voluntary nervous system" which controls muscles like your biceps, and the autonomic nervous system which controls all the stuff that falls more or less under involuntary response - heartbeat, digestion, etc.

And the autonomic system has two general functions - ramping up ("sympathetic" adrenaline, etc.) and cooling down (parasympathetic). In certain conditions my brain just tells the arteries/veins in my lower body to dilate, and whoosh, all the blood goes down into that space. With insufficient blood in the heart to pump, the heart stops - the survival mechanism being that passing out brings all the blood level and it can flow back into the heart and to the brain.

When you pee you feel relaxed, right? That's parasympathetic. My brain just tells my system to relax too much sometimes in conjunction with certain secondary triggers.

Happened for the first time when I was 24 or so and I ended up in the hospital for 2-3 days. At the time some enterprising surgeon wanted to put me on a pacemaker, but I pointed out the real issue is the lack of blood in the heart. He really just wanted to do the surgery, I think, so he conceded but noted that, while my heart is young it can probably keep restarting on its own. Eventually, it won't. Or I'll fall and seriously hurt myself. Or get stuck collapsed in an upright position and seize over and over (that happened once the night I tore my ACL) because the heart/brain can't get enough blood back north to restart properly.

Before I had a child I never really worried about it. It freaks the shit out of my spouse. Haven't decided whether to tell her.

The combination of shock and urination is a double-whammy for me. Other people have slightly different triggers which the wiki goes into, but they all tend to involve some aspect of the parasympathetic system. The nyquil made me dizzy/nauseous (doesn't usually), and that was enough. What was scary last night was both how fast it happened, how hard that bleepin' floor is, and how I still couldn't sleep afterwards.

But at least in current medicine there's really nothing they can do for me, either as prevention or after the fact. If I'd gone in to the ER it would have been mostly for them to knock me out so I could sleep and perhaps give me stitches.

Pretty sure I didn't get a concussion - I've had them before from sports. Neck hurts, though, and have a pretty decent lump on my forehead - think that's where most of the blood came from. Think I chipped a tooth slightly. I think I'm going to rest a few more hours before trying to either go out to forage for food or make it to my conference.

Gonna have to give the maids a good tip, though.
bler144: I'm alive, and I actually know what the issue is, more or less. [...]
Glad to hear you're still with us, and doing a tad better, you really scared us. Hope you can get a good rest, and be back on your feet soon.

Take care.
bler144: snip
Yikes.

Hope you're ok..
Look after yourself!
bler144: snip
It sucks there's nothing they can do :(
bler144:
Hope you're feeling better, bler.
I wish you speedy recovery too, bler! It sucks when you have something medicine is powerless against... but carry on and take care of yourself!
I too will chime in with best wishes for your speedy recovery.
Damn. My energy and thoughts are with you, bler.
Thanks all, I appreciate it. They pretty much confirmed what I knew already, and gave me two tylenol and a bandaid for $140 and 3+ hours of time.

But better safe than sorry. Was good to hear they didn't think it needed stitches, at least. Need to clean up and go off to train for the afternoon.