It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Saw a few:

<span class="bold">Purge (aka "Puhdistus") (2012)</span>

For the record, I haven't read the book, even though it got every available Finnish literature prize, and then some. I am not that much into feminist literature.

The movie: I lost interest halfway through. Yes yes yes, men are vicious monsters (especially Russian men) and women are mere victims, prostitution is the worst crime against humanity (=women) ever, etc. yadda yadda blaa blaa blaa, Echoes of "Lilya 4-ever", a fictitious movie after which one woman I know proclaimed she hates men and sex. Yeah, well... some people are easily affected by propaganda movies, i guess.

I read quite a lot of praise for the movie, but even the acting didn't really captivate me. A bleak propaganda movie. Not sure if the movie had gotten more interesting towards the end, but I decided to switch channel when a more interesting movie was about to start, below:

Man of Tai Chi (2013)

The trailer kicked ass. The movie not. I had hard time watching the movie to the finish, I just didn't see the point of it. Even though martial arts are a big part of my life, I guess I've grown out of the pure chop-socky movies. Pretty weak overall, and frankly Keanu Reeves wasn't a very good baddie. In The Gift</span> he was a pretty believable abusive husband, though.

<span class="bold">Skyline (2010)</span>

(May contain minor ***SPOILERS***, albeit I try to be as hazy as possible.)

Daaaamn... This was a true sleeper hit for me. The title sounded very familiar, it was as if I should be aware of the movie, maybe I've read some discussion about it. At first it didn't feel that special, another "technologically superior aliens come to Earth with bad intentions", haven't we seen this a few million times already?

At the same time though, the atmosphere and effects were quite interesting, starting from merely the way people's skin and eyes changed when they got into contact with The Light. When the action and special effects picked up, I really started liking it. I liked it how e.g. the human resistance wasn't explained that much; out of nowhere the army with its fighter jets etc, just appeared, like they should. Fortunately this wasn't a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich movie, otherwise there would have been an obligatory long and "touching" speech by the US president before the army arrives. The soldiers etc. were kept a bit distant and they were just trying to do their job the best they could, sometimes failing, sometimes succeeding with small victories.

And that ending... Judging by IMDB.com comments, it was apparently a great divider, some hated the ending with a passion, while others like me (and my wife) loved it. My head was spinning around when the movie ended and I was yearning for more, and yes I was delighted to find out there is a sequel in the making. I might even want to go to cinema to see it, partly to show my support for the first movie, which I understood didn't do that well financially (and that's why the sequel isn't coming out until now; I read somewhere this was supposed to be a trilogy originally?).

From IMDB.com, it was interesting to find out the movie cost only $500.000 to shoot, but on top of that the computer-generated effects cost $10 million. I think it was all money well spent.

Overall, somehow I found the movie a refreshing take on an overused theme, at least partly. Ok, most of it was pretty cliched and been-there-done-that, but some parts really shined. I'm thinking of buying a Blueray version of this movie if possible, even though I don't even have a Blueray player. Just as a sign of support etc. GOG could try to release the movie too, how about it? ;)
Post edited March 05, 2015 by timppu
Leviathan

Highlighting the criminal way of handling the justice system in modern day Russia and judging by how it was received by the Russian government, it was produced as intended. Great movie as well, I really enjoyed the details and how they handled certain aspects like the villain, human suffering and hypocrisy.

The Imitation Game

Following the life of a brilliant albeit sensitive and emotional unavailable mathematician during World War 2. I was really worried that it would be filled with cliché romance due to Keira Knightley's involvement but I must say, not only did it not have that but she also performed very well along with the overall story and how it ultimately ended. Superb movie.
Post edited November 14, 2018 by Nirth
Been thinking about my favorite movies, and checking my list. Broadening it a bit.

Le corps de mon ennemi, my favorite Verneuil movie. A non-action Belmondo movie about an ex-convict returning to the little town where he grew up, and investigating the circumstances that lead to his public shame and imprisonment. A highly political movie, like all Verneuil, but with an intensely nostalgic tone, childhood flashbacks exploring ambiguities of social class divides and dissolving ideals as the whole story of the main character unfolds touch by touch. Great music with that.

La soupe aux choux, a lovely adaptation of one of René Fallet's greatest novels, about an alien from an ascetic planet discovering the earthly joys of countryside cuisine at the end of two old peasants stranded by modernity. Both hilarious and melancholic, and wrongly reduced to the cheesiness of its farts-based interstellar communication system.

Coup de torchon, Tavernier's intense transposition of Jim Thompson's "Pop. 1280" to the french colonies in Africa. A dim-witted pushover policeman slowly turns into a manipulative megalomaniac, and exerts revenge upon a creepy corrupt town's proeminent figures. Beautiful and cynical, with a perfect cast, and a fittingly disturbing soundtrack.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the ultimate tale of friendship, cheerful denial, and irreductible rebellion against the society of grown-ups. Flawless cast and dialogues.

Cuisine et dépendances, a play by Jaoui and Bacri, about old childhood friends reunited for one evening when one of them has become a famous television star. A deconstruction of relations of powers and status, repressed dreams and bitterness, as the underlying truth of all the protagonists's mutual relationships get revealed by the circumstances. Fantastically dark and well written, like all their plays. Their Un air de famille is almost as good.

Jaws. It's Jaws. Can't get enough of it. It became a cliché, it has been redone and reredone each time more clumsily, but I just adore this tale and its narrative structure.

Life of Brian. Funniest movie ever, and just stuffed with immensely clever social, political, religious commentary. Best of Python movies.

Mad Detective. A crazy detective's method consists in visualizing people's true personalities, beyond what they look like. The way this movie describes us is frighteningly accurate.

Le cave se rebiffe, a loose adaptation of Simonin's novel (gangsters hire a honest artist to print false money), with dialogues by the notorious Michel Audiard, and acting by all the best actors of their generation. Each scene of it is anthologic.

Boulevard du rhum, a very weird film about a prohibition-era rum-running captain who falls in love with a movie star seen on the screen, and accidentally stumbles upon them, making their incompatible universes collide, as well as their own ways to be cunning and naive in their respective fields. Really laid back movie, that feels almost improvised, but heck, quite a twited joyous ride. Features the ever formidable Lino Ventura, and the surprisingly fitting Brigitte Bardot.

Ghostbusters. It's ghostbusters. What can I say. Wit, awesomeness, fantastic actors, fantastic tone, fantastic everything.

Alien. It's Alien. Creepy and bleak and down-to-earth as possible.

Fargo. Could mention many Coen movies, for their brand of almost surrealistic super-realism.

Angel heart. Terrifying devilish descent-to-hell tale into voodoo and satanism (linked because, hey, hollywood trope, but whatever). Alan Parker knows his craft. New Orleans is always a welcome setting.

Galaxy Quest. Top notch respectuous parody of Star Trek and star trek fandom, perfect movies for both those who hate and who love Star Trek.

Abre los ojos. Hard to talk about that one without spoiling the story. Apparently it's about a womanizer being disfigured in an accident, and hoping for plastic surgery to save his conveniently awesome face as he fell in love for real. The story goes a bit beyond that... To gut-wrenching depths.

Don't look now, the ultimate Venice movie. Glorious usage of its geography, in a surreal about a young couple being plagued by apparent glimpses of their recently deceased daughter, amongst other visions. Again, one of the most magnificent movie soundtracks of all times.

Lost highway is David Lynch at his best, as far as I am concerned.

Hotel du Nord, a gangster tries to hide from his past in a hotel where a couple of lovers decided to come to die. Things doesn't go as planned for anyone. A fantastic exemple of the dark poetry of old french cinema.

Le couperet. An unexpectedly recent Costa-Gavras masterpiece about a unemployed family man who decides to exterminate his potential rivals while seeking for a job in today's insanely competitive society. A well done fable on the world we live in, and an accurate exploration of the feeling of powerlessness and espair of long-term unemployment. Costa-Gavras' Z, about the historically real murder of a leftist deputy a little before the greek Colonels' junta, is also worth being mentionned here., but it's been too long I haven't rewatched it.

Bunker Palace Hotel, pure Enki Bilal. The leaders of a crumbling dictatorship have took refuge in a claustrophobic retro-scifi underground luxury shelter, and wait for the arrival of the President -and hopefully news of the revolution having been crushed on the surface- while keeping an eye on the stranded rebel and the unpredictable dissident that have joined them. Those familiar with Bilal's universe will feel at home. Great cast, awesome soundtrack.

Excalibur, the best -and most faithful- interpretation of the arthurian cycle that I've ever seen on the screen.

What about Bob : obnoxious psy vs obnoxious patient, Bill Murray vs Richard Dreyfuss, each second of it is delightful.

Kitchen Stories, a kitchen company sends an ethnographer or sorts to observe objectively, from some sort of tennis referee chair, the actual everyday kitchen usage of some remote village's inhabitant. Without interacting, of course, as this would completely distort the observation. Well, interaction happens. And I consider this weird movie as a nice little fable on outdated ethnographical practices.

Butterfly Kiss, a trashy version of Thelma and Louise (which I should have mentionned too), with a couple of serial killing lesbians, played by Amanda Plummer and Saskia Reeves. One of the few films to have brought me physical tears at the first vision. I should test this a second time.
Post edited April 16, 2015 by Telika
We just watched Slaughterhouse Five, again. So great!
drealmer7: We just watched Slaughterhouse Five, again. So great!
Have you read the original book? It's one of my favourites!
Love me some Kurt Vonnegut.
I saw Run all Night with Liam Neeson last night. I was very impressed (he has made some crap movies in his career), He plays an aging decrepit alcoholic hitman trying to protect his son.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2199571/

Very similar story to Road to Perdition and none the worse for that either, I really enjoyed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257044/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Kerchatin: Have you read the original book? It's one of my favourites!
Shamefully, no, I haven't! Eeep! I have sooo many books to read, it's ridiculous really. But it's definitely one I have and one I intend to read before too long!

I just watched Quest For Fire, again. So great.
Pride and Glory

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482572/

Kinda like Blue Bloods, Dad and kids are all cops, but there are good cops and bad cops.
Just saw Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)... An overload of awesome. And so is Edge of Tomorrow (2014). Don't miss these.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/

Jurassic World. Just saw this and enjoyed it thoroughly, great family film, stock up on the popcorn (extra buttery) and have fun :)
Just saw Seraphim Falls. The beginning was excellent, but I felt it ran out of steam around the halfway mark.
En Solitaire.

Very, hm, "french" ? Very François Cluzet (he systematically fails to render any character sympathic to me), very social-wannabe, very couple-family-relations-based... So, very typical of the french cinema of these last decades. And, given the setting, I expected something at last a bit different.

Basically, it's two better films merged together. The very decent and the pretty cool [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_6]All is Lost. Both of them are worth watching. En Solitaire can be skipped with no real loss, unless you're looking for a lighter version of any of these two.
Filth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1450321/

A cops downward spiral of drugs and debauchery as he tries to get a promotion.

Well acted and never predictable, worth waiting for the ending..
Telika: Excalibur, the best -and most faithful- interpretation of the arthurian cycle that I've ever seen on the screen.
IF I YIELD TO THE SWORD OF POWER, WHAT WILL YOU YIELD!!!
Telika: What about Bob : obnoxious psy vs obnoxious patient, Bill Murray vs Richard Dreyfuss, each second of it is delightful.
I love your list, but really? Really? I F@%#-ing HATE this movie. I barely made it through once and despite really loving Richard Dreyfuss (and to a less extent Murray - he has his ups and downs for me) this one sucks. It's like it's trying to make a brilliantly awful movie and constantly reminding you of the fact of how brilliantly awful and annoying it is. It's like a hipster wearing a fedora on top of a steamboat captain's hat, holding a sign that says "I'm a hipster." Suspended from his waxed steampunk beard and mustache. While "What's steeeeeeeeeampunk?" oozes disdainfully from his mouth. I can't stand it.

Kerchatin: Have you read the original book? It's one of my favourites!
I had a chance to meet him and didn't. To this day ever since his death it depresses me to no end because he was a (at the time) living literary master in whose presence I had a brief chance to bask... and didn't. I'm fairly certain, one hundred (two hundred? more?) years from now people will remember his name as they do other greats. The late 20th century was a bit deprived of authors of that renown, and most of them died well before the '70s and were most prolific 30 - 50 years before that (a few good poets, but as far as authors go...). The 21st so far really hasn't had a single one surface yet (though we're still a bit new ;) ). So yeah.

I also always wanted to meet Salinger, who also died fairly recently (10 - 15 years). Catcher in the Rye is in my Top 3 but I read (and loved!) Shoeless Joe at a young age. So despite the fact that he lived fairly close to me, I decided I best leave the man alone ;)