It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fyi, I haven't verified independently, but a fellow goger wrote this:

"The GOG release of XCOM2 is - at least the last release - suffering from their 2k launcher. Its launcher will crash if you forbid the phoning home.
Thats a 2K thing, not a GOG thing
For that reason, I have some .. backup versions of that game, that are working properly without that
( I own the game on Steam and GOG )"
Can someone who owns the GOG version of XCOM2 verify this? And then inform GOG and 2K of the (presumed) bug?
Lifthrasil: Can someone who owns the GOG version of XCOM2 verify this? And then inform GOG and 2K of the (presumed) bug?
That's incorrect. There's no launcher at all. I've already beaten the game with Gog version. I have even modded it with LWOTC mod and i always play offline. I played this game on linux and on windows, and without Gog Galaxy. Multiplayer is disabled.
Malkavilis: That's incorrect. There's no launcher at all. I've already beaten the game with Gog version. I have even modded it with LWOTC mod and i always play offline. I played this game on linux and on windows, and without Gog Galaxy. Multiplayer is disabled.
You've tried the latest GOG version? The suggestion seemed to be that the launcher was added in a recent update.
Malkavilis: That's incorrect. There's no launcher at all. I've already beaten the game with Gog version. I have even modded it with LWOTC mod and i always play offline. I played this game on linux and on windows, and without Gog Galaxy. Multiplayer is disabled.
Time4Tea: You've tried the latest GOG version? The suggestion seemed to be that the launcher was added in a recent update.
The version i used matches the version available to download on Gog site. And according to GOGdb (if this can be trusted), there's always had only one version on gog.

https://www.gogdb.org/product/1482002159#builds

Sure, i could redownload and reinstall everything again, but that would take a long time. If someone else could do that, it would be great.
Post edited July 03, 2024 by Malkavilis
Ok. If the game's never been updated, then it seems the report about the 2K launcher is probably bogus?
Maybe. Magnitus has to ask the person who wrote the original report. I couldn't find the quoted report even after googling
tiredliger: Maybe. Magnitus has to ask the person who wrote the original report. I couldn't find the quoted report even after googling
Does it still matter? We already have direct confirmation that the game does not crash when playing offline. So we have one person who says that it is crashing and another who says that it is not crashing. Maybe we should ask a third party to see who's correct?
Post edited July 05, 2024 by MarkoH01
ah the friendly MarkoH01. i was simply implying that the report doesn't exist
high rated
Ok, I finally had time to test Dungeon of the Endless, it took much longer than expected (had to play around 3-4 hours to really test it).

TL;DR; Yes I can confirm that, when, playing offline, killing monster doesn't give you any dust. And it is something the needs to be fixed.

For a more longer explanation and for people who don't know the game, Dust is one of the resource of the game which main use is the allow you to "turn on the light" in rooms of the dungeon, you need 10 dust per room. It's an important gameplay feature because rooms with the light on can be used to build structures and also prevents monster from spawning.

The main way to get Dust is actually by exploring, when opening a room, sometime you will get a variable amount of Dust, 6, 8, 10, etc... this works the same both online and offline.

Another way if by finding it in relics / objects in the room; this also works the same both online and offline.

You also have some merchant that uses Dust as currency so you can sell your objects in exchange for more Dust.

And finally, randomly, when killing monsters you might get 1 dust per monster. This is the part that doesn't work while offline. I tried for a long time, even at the easiest difficulty, and I never had any Dust drop while offline.

Does it make the game unplayable offline ?

I would say no, At least for what I have played I don't know at later level. At normal difficulty this drop doesn't happen very often, and it only happen on monster originally found inside rooms (i.e. monsters that were in said room when you open the door the first time), not for monsters that re-spawn or the endless spawning monsters while you run for the exit.

That said there are some object that increase the amount of dust dropped by monsters, sadly given the random nature of the game I wasn't able to obtain one of those objects and test if it really change the game or not. Also as mentioned earlier maybe in later levels the number of Dust drop per monster increase and become more important.
Lifthrasil: Can someone who owns the GOG version of XCOM2 verify this? And then inform GOG and 2K of the (presumed) bug?
I tested both XCOM and XCOM2, main game and extensions on both.

For XCom 1 there is a launcher that let you chose if you want to start the Main game or the extension, both works even offline and without Galaxy.

For XCom 2 there is two shortcut in the game folder, again one for the main game the other for the extension and both starts offline. The main game complain that it doesn't detect the Internet and therefore multiplayer will be disable but it starts anyway.
Gersen: I tested both XCOM and XCOM2, main game and extensions on both.

For XCom 1 there is a launcher that let you chose if you want to start the Main game or the extension, both works even offline and without Galaxy.

For XCom 2 there is two shortcut in the game folder, again one for the main game the other for the extension and both starts offline. The main game complain that it doesn't detect the Internet and therefore multiplayer will be disable but it starts anyway.
Thank you for checking!
Gersen: Ok, I finally had time to test Dungeon of the Endless, it took much longer than expected (had to play around 3-4 hours to really test it).

TL;DR; Yes I can confirm that, when, playing offline, killing monster doesn't give you any dust. And it is something the needs to be fixed.

For a more longer explanation and for people who don't know the game, Dust is one of the resource of the game which main use is the allow you to "turn on the light" in rooms of the dungeon, you need 10 dust per room. It's an important gameplay feature because rooms with the light on can be used to build structures and also prevents monster from spawning.

The main way to get Dust is actually by exploring, when opening a room, sometime you will get a variable amount of Dust, 6, 8, 10, etc... this works the same both online and offline.

Another way if by finding it in relics / objects in the room; this also works the same both online and offline.

You also have some merchant that uses Dust as currency so you can sell your objects in exchange for more Dust.

And finally, randomly, when killing monsters you might get 1 dust per monster. This is the part that doesn't work while offline. I tried for a long time, even at the easiest difficulty, and I never had any Dust drop while offline.

Does it make the game unplayable offline ?

I would say no, At least for what I have played I don't know at later level. At normal difficulty this drop doesn't happen very often, and it only happen on monster originally found inside rooms (i.e. monsters that were in said room when you open the door the first time), not for monsters that re-spawn or the endless spawning monsters while you run for the exit.

That said there are some object that increase the amount of dust dropped by monsters, sadly given the random nature of the game I wasn't able to obtain one of those objects and test if it really change the game or not. Also as mentioned earlier maybe in later levels the number of Dust drop per monster increase and become more important.
I was going to test this too, but it wasn't very possible for me and i got hospitalized this last week so not sure if I'll be able to test this in the short term, but given what you manage to test is easy to see that this is something we might need to ask the devs to fix.

Thanks for your service! I'll try to find a way we can all more collectively ask the devs for a fix.
tiredliger: ah the friendly MarkoH01. i was simply implying that the report doesn't exist
It is on Discord. As the person did not provide consent, I opted not to name them in the forum. I got into this habit about not naming people from work (other devs don't like to be put on the spot, it doesn't really foster team spirit so I try not to).

But thanks for checking folks. I'm glad the claim was bogus.

I was going through X-Com 1 as I wanted to finish it before I start playing X-Com 2. Might have taken a while before I got around to checking X-com 2.
Post edited July 10, 2024 by Magnitus
btw, apparently, Prison Architect has some kind of issue (see reviews and forum thread):

https://www.gog.com/en/game/prison_architect

https://www.gog.com/forum/prison_architect/is_it_possible_to_get_a_preparadox_version_of_the_game

I will have to check what the implications of this launcher are, but it doesn't bode well.

If my offline installer no longer works, I will never buy a Paradox game again. Between their insane dlc policies and this, f*ck them.
Post edited July 10, 2024 by Magnitus