It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skeletonbow: Top games by current player count
CURRENT PLAYERS PEAK TODAY GAME

550,897 819,583 Dota 2
135,067 398,728 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
37,513 61,796 Team Fortress 2
25,842 61,430 Football Manager 2015
18,905 37,741 Sid Meier's Civilization V
15,439 33,255 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
15,107 37,676 Garry's Mod
13,541 21,448 Warframe
12,498 31,522 Counter-Strike
11,504 17,952 H1Z1
FOOTBALL MANAGER
My rage knows no bounds!

Fact: I know people who buy a console and only one game a year.

That game is FIFA.
Looger23: It's a great game, you should try it out.

And it has almost no competition in it's genre, germany with it's strange taste being the notable exception.
ElTerprise: I played it but i don't have the time for it lately It is great but takes some time to get in it.

Germany doesn't seem to have any (good) football manager left after the end fo the EA Manager, does it?
Don't think so and honestly I found the EA Manager boring.

But I sometimes still play Anstoss 3...

Wohooo, only 3 Xenonauts left...
Post edited March 05, 2015 by Looger23
IwubCheeze: Keep in mind that sometimes how games are released isn't necessarily how they were intended, modding communities aren't under the same constraints as developers are so sometimes modding communities can make the games more like how they were intended.

Look at system shock 2 for example. In the vanilla game, the weapons are terribly imbalanced. There is no point in choosing any of the weapons other than "standard weapons" because you just didn't get any bang for your cybernetic modules for putting points in heavy, energy or exotic weapons. There are mods out there that deal with this issue. I can never play SS2 without mods again because I know there are mods with fix the broken parts.

Or Neverwinter Nights. The original campaigns for that game were terrible but user made modules can be much better. I can honestly say if you aren't thinking of mulitplayer or user modules, don't even consider purchasing Neverwinter Nights.
I can agree with that in principle of course. :)

The overall thought I have though is that whether a game is fun as-is, or is only fun with mods, or can be either of the two or both depending on the person, or if a game is fun with 100 mods for most people, nobody has any fun unless the game exists to begin with and buy it, and so regardless of whether someone mods their game or not either to enjoy it or to enhance the experience or give them more fun than the default game - the game in question itself is popular as a result and sells more copies and rakes in profit for the company that made it. The "why" someone plays it doesn't matter so much as the fact that they are actually playing it and contributing to its popularity. It's long been known also that games that have rich modding capabilities end up often becoming very popular with their gamer communities because people have a natural tendency to want to customize and create and share their creations. Someone can be of the opinion that an underlying game sucks and that is of course a perfectly valid opinion for someone to have, but if the game sells like wildfire and people play it modded or not - it may be highly popular and become a huge success either way.

I only wish that every game that came out was designed specifically with modding in mind and ended up developing rich communities around that, as such communities often develop some amazing stuff that can really extend gameplay for a long time whether or not the base game was considered awesome or not.
ElTerprise: I played it but i don't have the time for it lately It is great but takes some time to get in it.

Germany doesn't seem to have any (good) football manager left after the end fo the EA Manager, does it?
Looger23: Don't think so and honestly I found the EA Manager boring.

But I sometimes still play Anstoss 3...
Yeah Anstoss 3 was really great. I would be nice to have it on GOG.
xep624: I'm quite surprised that Xenonauts is not selling fast.... It's quite a good game, I haven't played it much (backlog....), but one day I will finish it.... Brings memories from X-COM (the classic one).
That's why I talked a little about it : I was very pleased with it, and I know well how hard it could be to purchase a game with a high price : I was hesitating a lot too before I buy it (and I looked at a lot of review before), but I'm glad to have bought it. They're planning a demo when the final version will be out : it'll be very useful (it's just sad that they actually still don't have an up to date one).
Post edited March 05, 2015 by Splatsch
Tarnicus: As it isn't fair to giveaway just Steam codes on these forums, especially for those who do not use Steam. Let's give away a couple of GOG codes. These I require answers from people, and the first to respond with the correct answer will get the code PMd to them. Please be patient as sometimes I get easily distracted by life, but I will definitely get to PMing the codes. I appreciate if the codes are used immediately, as it makes it easier to keep track of what I have given away. I'd hate to offer the same code twice without realising it! Obviously if you have the game, you cannot redeem the code unless you pass it onto someone else and they redeem it swiftly.

1/ Return to Krondor is based on the works of Raymond E. Feist. Name the two worlds that the Riftwar Cycle occurs on?

2/ Ultima 7 is one of my favourite nostalgic games of all time. What is the real name creator of the original games? 3/ Alternatively, what was his character name in the series? The correct answer to this question will get Ultima Underworld 1+2

4/ Name the company that developed Deponia for a copy of the game! - congrats Stg83
I beleive that Midkemia and Kelewan are the two worlds you are looking for.
Anomaly Defenders? This is not Shadowrun Dragonfall!!!!!!
Anomaly Defenders? NOOOOOOO.
That Anomoly game looks kind of cool. I always see that and think that it's a "shmup".
Tarnicus: Cheers Stg83 :) Given your location, you don't happen to watch cricket do you? :)
I used to watch a lot of cricket before when our Team was much better and capable of playing with the big boys but since the last World Cup my interest has waned significantly and I don't invest as much time in watching the matches since the 50 over ones take almost the entire day. I am now more interested in watching Football (soccer) instead as it requires less time and provides more excitement in good matches for me. :)
Tarnicus: As it isn't fair to giveaway just Steam codes on these forums, especially for those who do not use Steam. Let's give away a couple of GOG codes. These I require answers from people, and the first to respond with the correct answer will get the code PMd to them. Please be patient as sometimes I get easily distracted by life, but I will definitely get to PMing the codes. I appreciate if the codes are used immediately, as it makes it easier to keep track of what I have given away. I'd hate to offer the same code twice without realising it! Obviously if you have the game, you cannot redeem the code unless you pass it onto someone else and they redeem it swiftly.

1/ Return to Krondor is based on the works of Raymond E. Feist. Name the two worlds that the Riftwar Cycle occurs on?

2/ Ultima 7 is one of my favourite nostalgic games of all time. What is the real name creator of the original games? 3/ Alternatively, what was his character name in the series? The correct answer to this question will get Ultima Underworld 1+2

4/ Name the company that developed Deponia for a copy of the game! - congrats Stg83
hummer010: I beleive that Midkemia and Kelewan are the two worlds you are looking for.
Yes, me too! It`s the Saga about Pug, the magician, right?
Anomaly Defenders is going to be there forever.

hummer010: I beleive that Midkemia and Kelewan are the two worlds you are looking for.
2 is Richard Garriott / Lord British
stg83: Daedalic Entertainment is the German company that developed this adventure series. :
Tarnicus: Correct, code PMd!
Thanks a lot Tarnicus, it is much appreciated. :D
Tarnicus: 1/ Return to Krondor is based on the works of Raymond E. Feist. Name the two worlds that the Riftwar Cycle occurs on?
Thanks for the giveaway.

Answer for 1) : Midkemia and Kelewan.

I already have UW1+2 and Deponia, so I'll leave that to other people to solve even though I know the answers.

Edit: Damn, the ninjas are fast here. :-)
Post edited March 05, 2015 by Geralt_of_Rivia