It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CarrionCrow: I would love to see a poll concerning how many people run Skyrim with mods, versus those who run it without.

I think Skyrim as Bethesda made it is a frequent clunky game with a lot of repetition and the potential for tens of hours of wasted time on inventory management.

Every single person I see talk about Skyrim invariably mentions the 1 to 5 mods that they feel are essential for full enjoyment of the game.
To me, that says I should send kudos to the modders who made something much better on their own out of the mediocrity that Bethesda presented.
j0ekerr: I would run that poll through a particular sieve to get significant data and not just a bunch of worthless statistics.

How many of the total players, know how to install mods.

Believe it or not, there IS a bunch of people who play on PC who don't even know how to access their administration panel.

Pony mod is best mod.
----
Btw Crow, are you taking over tracking duties while Gragar and Sinistar are unconscious?
More in-depth information in general regarding that would be interesting, including the info regarding people's ineptitude. -laughs-

I'm just keeping stuff up to date for the time being. A few more hours and Sinistar will be up, I'm sure.
Tarnicus: And given how slowly things are moving with the sale, keep an eye on this thread. I have 2 posts to write and 1 PM to respond to, and then I'll get the ball moving with some trivia giveaways :) Games will be from GOG, Steam and Desura. You guys can help me clean out my list of spare codes! GOG games are not limited to this sale but also include ones acquired in the past :)
That is very generous of you. :p
skeletonbow: Skyrim is the 6th most popular game on Steam right now
Maxvorstadt: What are the first 5 most popular games on Steam?
1. Dota 2
2. Counterstrike Global Offensive
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Football Manager 2015
5. Sid Meier's Civilzation 5
6. Skyrim
Post edited March 05, 2015 by Matruchus
Early Access Zombie Survival games probably, that should tell you why the list is not indicative of a game's quality. ;)
CarrionCrow: I would love to see a poll concerning how many people run Skyrim with mods, versus those who run it without.

I think Skyrim as Bethesda made it is a frequent clunky game with a lot of repetition and the potential for tens of hours of wasted time on inventory management.

Every single person I see talk about Skyrim invariably mentions the 1 to 5 mods that they feel are essential for full enjoyment of the game.
To me, that says I should send kudos to the modders who made something much better on their own out of the mediocrity that Bethesda presented.
j0ekerr: I would run that poll through a particular sieve to get significant data and not just a bunch of worthless statistics.

<snip>
I played Skyrim for about 45 days without any mods I believe. I prefer pristine games for the most part and didn't want to ruin the game in terms of how it was intended to be by the publisher. I was interested in mods but figured I'd wait until I finished the game at least once before putting any in, but one say I perused the Steam workshop and found some interesting mods that did not alter gameplay which I deemed to be reasonably safe to install as they were entirely aesthetic such as Pure Water and a couple that increase texture resolution. Since then I added the one that makes unread books glow and one that improves the map to make the roads more visible. Other than light visual/aesthetic mods like this though I haven't touched any and personally I'd be just as happy to remove all the mods I have installed and play it completely pristine as I started. I think the game is fun enough for my own tastes that it'd be just as enjoyable with an older 3D game engine with even lower quality graphics etc. It is nice though to fiddle with some mods that make things look nicer also, I don't consider it necessary for fun mind you but it has a fun of it's own also.

Part of the fun of modding games though is that it very much is an individual thing and that gives games their charm by letting the gamer decide what they want to add to the game (or not). Either way though, whether someone plays Skyrim stock or modded, Bethesda sold them a copy for them to get their entertainment value however they choose to do so. (or they sold someone else a copy that was gifted or whatnot, etc.) :)
arxon: after three days of closely following Double Insomnia I was struggling to believe there is a freebie somewhere for me, but GoG you just made my day with freebie of Xenonauts :0
Talk about luck! :D
Matruchus: Dota 2
Counterstrike Global Offensive
Team Fortress 2
Football Manager 2015
Sid Meier's Civilzation 5
Skyrim
Dota? What is Dota?
Matruchus: Dota 2
Counterstrike Global Offensive
Team Fortress 2
Football Manager 2015
Sid Meier's Civilzation 5
Skyrim
Maxvorstadt: Dota? What is Dota?
Its like League of Legends if you played that before. Dota and Team Fortress are both free to play games made by Valve.

Dota 2 is a steam only game being a Valve game: http://blog.dota2.com/?l=english
Post edited March 05, 2015 by Matruchus

<snip>
skeletonbow: I played Skyrim for about 45 days without any mods I believe. I prefer pristine games for the most part and didn't want to ruin the game in terms of how it was intended to be by the publisher. I was interested in mods but figured I'd wait until I finished the game at least once before putting any in, but one say I perused the Steam workshop and found some interesting mods that did not alter gameplay which I deemed to be reasonably safe to install as they were entirely aesthetic such as Pure Water and a couple that increase texture resolution. Since then I added the one that makes unread books glow and one that improves the map to make the roads more visible. Other than light visual/aesthetic mods like this though I haven't touched any and personally I'd be just as happy to remove all the mods I have installed and play it completely pristine as I started. I think the game is fun enough for my own tastes that it'd be just as enjoyable with an older 3D game engine with even lower quality graphics etc. It is nice though to fiddle with some mods that make things look nicer also, I don't consider it necessary for fun mind you but it has a fun of it's own also.

Part of the fun of modding games though is that it very much is an individual thing and that gives games their charm by letting the gamer decide what they want to add to the game (or not). Either way though, whether someone plays Skyrim stock or modded, Bethesda sold them a copy for them to get their entertainment value however they choose to do so. (or they sold someone else a copy that was gifted or whatnot, etc.) :)
To me, it's the difference between making a good game, and making a good shell.

I would say Skyrim's continued popularity is largely based on the latter.
arxon: after three days of closely following Double Insomnia I was struggling to believe there is a freebie somewhere for me, but GoG you just made my day with freebie of Xenonauts :0
Vythonaut: Talk about luck! :D
yeah, I've spend the last hour trying to decide wheter to buy this game or not being an old x-com fan...A freebie would have solved that problem easily
Vythonaut: Talk about luck! :D
bronxbobby: yeah, I've spend the last hour trying to decide wheter to buy this game or not being an old x-com fan...A freebie would have solved that problem easily
I guess it is you & everyone else in here! :D
CarrionCrow: To me, it's the difference between making a good game, and making a good shell.

I would say Skyrim's continued popularity is largely based on the latter.
Skyrim instantly becomes 200% cooler with the Zoidberg mod.
Klumpen0815: Wizardry is sadistic, Bard's Tale is a wizardry rip-off that is superior in some ways and Nox is just one of the best action RPGs available, I finished it 3 times.
Ugh... ok... so despite the backlog of 342342 RPGs in my catalogue, Nox isn't one of them, but I threw it on my wishlist for it to help my pile reach the clouds at a future date. :)
bronxbobby: yeah, I've spend the last hour trying to decide wheter to buy this game or not being an old x-com fan...A freebie would have solved that problem easily
Vythonaut: I guess it is you & everyone else in here! :D
It appears so:)
Post edited March 05, 2015 by bronxbobby
Good morning all, I'm here again :)
So how are things going ? Hum... at this pace, the fresh games will never do a third round XD (and I was hoping for a third round for one game).
Post edited March 05, 2015 by Splatsch