It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

j0ekerr: People seem to have a love bordering on the unhealthy for Arcanum.

What's so great about it?
If you dig the old Fallout/Infinity Engine era CRPG games, Arcanum is right up there with them. The story is fantastic, and the RPG mechanics are just solid all around. Great world building... Just a great game, period. At $1.49, that's a STEAL!

Its world!
Repeat Fresh deal: Dreamfall Chapters Season Pass - Special Edition (-60%) [350]
Oh man. Dreamfall Chapters, I really WANT to buy you, but you just don't fit into the budget. = (
toxicTom: It's not the graphics.
No, definitely not the graphics.

yogsloth: Unique style, great characters, fun story, great character variety. Just a great RPG all around.
Ok, then I'll just take a leap of faith and... there we have it.

Let's see when I find the time to play it.

yogsloth: Unique style, great characters, fun story, great character variety. Just a great RPG all around.
Also the fact that a lot of your decisions and actions/inactions help determine the outcome. It has a lot of replayability too since there are multiple ways to get past most areas (i.e. not everything requires combat). It has its flaws as some of the reviews note, but it's otherwise a well-constructed rpg.
jakob187: ARCANUM! YEEEEEEEEES!
genkicolleen: *giggles* Is it that good? I like the graphics ^__^
Kind of a Steampunk crossover of Torment and Fallout. If you like any of these, take it.

Steampunk RPG (perhaps an underserved niche?), with an interesting story premise and tons of character customization options.

The knock is that half of builds supposedly won't work, but when I bought it at the Xmas sale I spent like 2-3 hours just enjoying building different characters before really venturing out into the world.
jakob187: Oh man. Dreamfall Chapters, I really WANT to buy you, but you just don't fit into the budget. = (
I feel your pain. Oh well, need to finish playing the first two anyway >_>
Repeat Seasoned deal: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (-50%) [800]
low rated
can somebody who don't need give me a code for dreamfall? thank you
Let's see if Dreamfall Chapters have a freebie for me...

.... .... ....

Nope, just some store credit should I buy it.
deleted
Post edited March 03, 2015 by the_voivod
INFERNO.COP: Had to do some research since I neither smoke nor visit McDonald's but a pack of smokes is around 3.5 to 4.5 dollars for a normal brand, a McDonalds cheeseburger goes for .75 dollars and a happy meal for 2.5 dollars.
toxicTom: Interesting. I always would have thought that was a lot of money in Romania. But maybe I just terribly lag behind. In Germany Romania still has the the repute of a poor country (like third world poor).
It ain't that bad to be fair but there is a lower class and it ain't a minority. Yet at the same time the wealthy aren't that scarce either. You keep hearing around the news about some famous gypsy that had a wedding worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with gifts to match or politicians getting tens of thousands in bribes yet at the same time you see that old couple living in a one room apartment with 100-200 dollars a month pension they have to use to pay for not only necessities like heat/water/food but necessary medication as well. It's a land of contrasts really.
FearfulSymmetry: Thanks! I'm new to Tex Murphy, but if this turns out well I'll probably get the other ones too. And thanks for the recommendation, but I'll probably be fine without subtitles. :)
If you should like the style and characters of the game but should not like the relatively short playtime or few puzzles be assured that the old games have far more puzzles to solve and especially pandora directive (imo the best) has a pretty long playtime. Of course the FMVs in the older games are not that great as they are in this game but I love all of them. Oh, and since you are new to Tex a short list: of all the games:

Mean Streets + Martian Memorandum (oldschool Adventures without much FMV)
Under A Killing Moon (First "real" Tex game with FMVs and Chris Jones playing Tex Murphy)
Tex Murphy: Overseer (Pretty much a retold FMV version of Mean Streets but continuing the story of UAKM)
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (resolves the brutal Cliffhnager of Overseer but strangely works without even knowing any of the previous games)

To experience the best of Tex it would probably be enough to start with Under A Killing Moon since Mean Streets is retold in Overseer and Martian Memorandum has not much to do with the later games.

If you REALLY should fall in love with the characters I strongly recomment to read the books written by Aaron Conners who also wrote a Tesla Effect Book.

Happy investigating :)