It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HereForTheBeer: I'm waiting for someone to write a friendly virus that - once it infects a machine - turns on Windows Firewall, activates facebook privacy settings, and disables browser add-on toolbars.

"Shit - my PC got infected and has never run better!"
You read my mind. I was going to say the same thing. There should be viruses that only do good things, like the stuff you said above, and cleaning out junk, optimizing various things. But now my mind is going off on a mischievous tangent and I'm thinking of viruses that do things that one might argue are good (such as myself), but others would likely not, like one that erases all copies of Fifty Shades of Gray ebooks, or one that blocks the infected computer from accessing any cat videos.
ymerejsasnak: You read my mind. I was going to say the same thing. There should be viruses that only do good things, like the stuff you said above, and cleaning out junk, optimizing various things. But now my mind is going off on a mischievous tangent and I'm thinking of viruses that do things that one might argue are good (such as myself), but others would likely not, like one that erases all copies of Fifty Shades of Gray ebooks, or one that blocks the infected computer from accessing any cat videos.
The Amiga had a pretty infamous virus called "Lamer Exterminator". It was aimed at software pirates, especially people who amass a large amount of pirated games without ever giving something back to "the scene". Kind of like the notorious leechers nowadays.
Tarnicus: Speaking of AI, consciousness and "humanity", I'd highly recommend the movie Chappie. Thea and I saw it yesterday and loved it :) It is written and directed by Neill Blomkamp, the guy who wrote and directed District 9.
Interesting, and glad to see he made another movie, District 9 was pretty good (even if not perfect).
HereForTheBeer: I'm waiting for someone to write a friendly virus that - once it infects a machine - turns on Windows Firewall, activates facebook privacy settings, and disables browser add-on toolbars.

"Shit - my PC got infected and has never run better!"
That's such a great idea ! Never thought about it ! (and there would be a lot of computers who would need it ^^")

It reminds me a good short science-fiction novel which talks about something like this, but with humans : an extraterrestrial virus which touch earth and turns all people into "good, honest, humble and kind" people (not sheep, only good people), but one of the human is immune.
toxicTom: Today's viruses with self-mutating code and rootkits that put the whole OS into a VM - very fascinating stuff.
Fascinating, I agree. Scary for people like me : I mean for people who don't know a lot about computers and viruses. I never heard it was going so far (self-mutating codes ? That's impressive).
What does mean VM ?
Post edited March 17, 2015 by Splatsch
Splatsch: <snip>
What does mean VM ?
If i'm not mistaken it means "Vritual machine". See here.
Splatsch: <snip>
What does mean VM ?
ElTerprise: If i'm not mistaken it means "Vritual machine". See here.
Oh, I see now ! Thanks !
high rated
Splatsch: Interesting, and glad to see he made another movie, District 9 was pretty good (even if not perfect).

[...]
Then you must have missed Elysium.
Splatsch: Interesting, and glad to see he made another movie, District 9 was pretty good (even if not perfect).

[...]
HypersomniacLive: Then you must have missed Elysium.
Damit XD (I'm not following a lot the movies who are out, because I can't afford cinema ^^")
But that's a good news for me, it's a new (and hopefully good) movie to see :D Thanks for the info !
Splatsch: Damit XD (I'm not following a lot the movies who are out, because I can't afford cinema ^^")
But that's a good news for me, it's a new (and hopefully good) movie to see :D Thanks for the info !
Having watched Elysium, I can say that you haven't really missed much in my opinion. It was an okay movie, definitely a step down from District 9 which was by far the superior one. :)
Post edited March 17, 2015 by stg83
ElTerprise: If i'm not mistaken it means "Vritual machine". See here.
Splatsch: Oh, I see now ! Thanks !
The interesting thing is, that through this method (the root actually running outside the operating system, effectively "hosting" the OS (like running DOS in DOSbox), it becomes extremely hard for malware scanners to detect. The OS is practically living in the Matrix, and the root kit "bends" all direct access to RAM, HDD to prevent detection.
Splatsch: Damit XD (I'm not following a lot the movies who are out, because I can't afford cinema ^^")
stg83: Having watched Elysium, I can say that you haven't really missed much in my opinion. It was an okay movie, definitely a step down from District 9 which was by far the superior one. :)
That's sad, I really enjoyed District 9 : it was a smart and good mix of several things which was well conducted, despite imperfections. I hoped a lot for his next movie because good science-fiction movies are rare XD (or at least, science-fiction movies I like ;) )

If I can, I'll still try to watch it :) I'm curious to see his evolution.
toxicTom: The interesting thing is, that through this method (the root actually running outside the operating system, effectively "hosting" the OS (like running DOS in DOSbox), it becomes extremely hard for malware scanners to detect. The OS is practically living in the Matrix, and the root kit "bends" all direct access to RAM, HDD to prevent detection.
That's really smart and interesting. Is this a often used way to work now ? Or does it concerns only very few viruses ?
And what kind of things this viruses/malwares try to do ?
Splatsch: That's sad, I really enjoyed District 9 : it was a smart and good mix of several things which was well conducted, despite imperfections. I hoped a lot for his next movie because good science-fiction movies are rare XD (or at least, science-fiction movies I like ;) )

If I can, I'll still try to watch it :) I'm curious to see his evolution.
That's really smart and interesting. Is this a often used way to work now ? Or does it concerns only very few viruses ?
And what kind of things this viruses/malwares try to do ?
No it's pretty rare. Usually used in intelligence and espionage environments.
high rated
That's ok, I didn't watch it in a movie theatre either.
IMHO, it's nth to write home about, and having watched District 9 it sure fails to make the same impression, but it has some interesting ideas (like District 9 had), so I think you won't feel like you wasted your time to watch it.
toxicTom: No it's pretty rare. Usually used in intelligence and espionage environments.
Very interesting. And that's why I never heard about it before !

HypersomniacLive: That's ok, I didn't watch it in a movie theatre either.
IMHO, it's nth to write home about, and having watched District 9 it sure fails to make the same impression, but it has some interesting ideas (like District 9 had), so I think you won't feel like you wasted your time to watch it.
That seems not "that bad" :) I only hope he didn't fall into the "big movie" trap (and/or more "universal" filming), but what you say (" I think you won't feel like you wasted your time to watch it")make me think it deserves one luck, at least to see it one time !
Splatsch: That seems not "that bad" :) I only hope he didn't fall into the "big movie" trap (and/or more "universal" filming), but what you say (" I think you won't feel like you wasted your time to watch it")make me think it deserves one luck, at least to see it one time !
Any time an author/musician/filmmaker has a surprise breakaway success, there is pressure to repeat that with another of the same kind. The law of diminishing returns pretty much guarantees that it won't work as well the next time. But because of the money at stake, the backers want a "sure thing" and a "safe bet". Hollywood, pop music, and bestsellers are where you see this enervating dynamic most strongly at work.

Sometimes you do get a master of the craft who can work in the same genre and consistently produce brilliant results (such as Alfred Hitchcock), but often a genius is best served by being allowed to pursue whatever project most interests her/him and which leads to a strongly varied output (such as with the oeuvre of Stanley Kubrick).
HypersomniacLive: IMHO, it's nth to write home about, and having watched District 9 it sure fails to make the same impression, but it has some interesting ideas (like District 9 had), so I think you won't feel like you wasted your time to watch it.
I refused to go see "Elysium" due to it stealing the bulk of its plot from the manga series "Battle Angel Alita" (a.k.a. "Gunnm"). If some of you aren't aware, James Cameron has been wanting to make a "Battle Angel Alita" movie for almost 20 years. At the time, he envisioned it as a 3D film that combined CG and live actors. "Avatar" was actually the proof-of-concept for this. Unfortunately, "Avatar" did so well that it's now being made into a quadrilogy (thanks, Hollywood). At this rate, "Battle Angel Alita" won't get made until somewhere near 2020. And, thanks to "Elysium", once it does come out, people will just think Cameron is ripping off that movie. >_<;

As for "Chappie", it is a brilliant film that really affected me mentally and emotionally. The spirit of what made "District 9" such a great film is alive and well in this movie. For those who may care, the film does prominently feature Ninja and Yolandi from the band Die Antwoord. I was not aware of who they were and my experience with the film was not sullied in any way. However, my sister strongly dislikes their music and was a bit turned off by their heavy involvement in the film. So, take that as a friendly potential warning.