It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

toxicTom: Holy fuck! Source ports! Bookmarked - Can't wait to get home and try it.
I know, isn't that great? Exciting to see what folks are doing. If you try out one of the ports, let us know which one and your impressions. It would be swell to have a seamless DM experience on a modern OS!
Dang, y'all got me so nostalgic for dungeon crawlers that I went ahead and bought the Land of Lore series. Make sure GOG sends you your commissions. :)
IAmSinistar: Oh, and lest we forget, we have another dungeon crawling classic here as well - Stonekeep. Good for old EotB fans (like me) and Dungeon Master fans alike, assuming one isn't put off by the graphic style.
I was looking at that myself a while ago - but got put off by the graphics. However, I may at some point give it a whirl - once I've beaten anvil of dawn at least.
Sachys: I was looking at that myself a while ago - but got put off by the graphics. However, I may at some point give it a whirl - once I've beaten anvil of dawn at least.
It's a bit of an acquired taste, but not bad. Been so long since I last played it that it will be practically new to me again.
IAmSinistar: Been so long since I last played it that it will be practically new to me again.
are you sure it aint just early onset dementia? - you played it this morning! O_____o
Sachys: are you sure it aint just early onset dementia? - you played it this morning! O_____o
Ah, that also explains why I had breakfast four times today.
IAmSinistar: Dang, y'all got me so nostalgic for dungeon crawlers that I went ahead and bought the Land of Lore series. Make sure GOG sends you your commissions. :)
LOL
Sachys: are you sure it aint just early onset dementia? - you played it this morning! O_____o
IAmSinistar: Ah, that also explains why I had breakfast four times today.
that... and the shovel in your hand labelled "breakfast spoon"
Good morning / afternoon / evening, I hope you are all well-rested. I have been trying to catch up on some work, so haven't had time for games, sadly. I'm hoping to get stuck into Banished this weekend, Sinistar, so will let you know how it goes. :-)

Wasn't sure where to ask about games in the latest sale, but this seems to be the goto thread, so...

What are your opinions on Populous? I already own quite a few of the games on sale this time, but I wondered if anyone had played Populous and could recommend it, or not? I do like Molyneux.
I see that Syndicate is up, as Syndicate Plus. It's available free at Origins, but probably without the expansion, and I prefer to play DRM free, of course. I picked up the second game last year, can't recall how, but I think it was a GOG giveaway of some kind. Haven't played it, tho'.

I am still hoping that Baldur's Gate will turn up in a sale, or Icewind Dale, or Meridian, or..

enough wishing and hoping, if they all turned up, I'd never be able to afford them. Still need to buy a new mouse first. Some good recommendations from this group, that I'm checking out.
IAmSinistar: I know, isn't that great? Exciting to see what folks are doing. If you try out one of the ports, let us know which one and your impressions. It would be swell to have a seamless DM experience on a modern OS!
Ok, I gave the CSBwin version a quick try. Only drawback is, that there is no real fullscreen mode, but you can upscale the screen, on a 1080p screen it's ok, but I guess on a 4k monitor it would still be tiny.

Other than that... what can I say. I think I played Dungeon Master for the last time 20 years ago. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm sitting here right now having tears in my eyes.
But I have to admit, that someone not having grown up with this granddad of all dungeon crawlers and trying this thing now it might have a hard time to understand it. :-)

Sadly I'm out of time right now. I will probably give the Return to Chaos version a try tomorrow, although it's still beta. Those two looked the most promising. I'll probably stick with CSBwin.
Post edited March 13, 2015 by toxicTom
zenwan: <snip>

I am still hoping that Baldur's Gate will turn up in a sale, or Icewind Dale, or Meridian, or..

<snip>
Don't worry. the D&D games will show up in a sale at some point this year. Probably in some of the big sales. Most likely as a bundle.
DeMignon: LOL
LoL, actually. ;)

Sachys: that... and the shovel in your hand labelled "breakfast spoon"
It's the quickest way to get to the prize at the bottom of the box.

zenwan: What are your opinions on Populous? I already own quite a few of the games on sale this time, but I wondered if anyone had played Populous and could recommend it, or not? I do like Molyneux.
Populous is freaking brilliant, as is the sequel. Clever and addictive and easily worth the money. Would be nice to eventually get Powermonger on here as well. And if you end up liking Populous, I also recommend the loving tribute game here Reprisal Universe.

toxicTom: Other than that... what can I say. I think I played Dungeon Master for the last time 20 years ago. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm sitting here right now having tears in my eyes.
That's good enough for me. Shall download, and that one does seem to be the most developed of the engines that I looked over on there.
IAmSinistar: It's the quickest way to get to the prize at the bottom of the box.
so... you never opened the box at the bottom before?
Sachys: so... you never opened the box at the bottom before?
I have to have a grown-up do that.
Sachys: so... you never opened the box at the bottom before?
IAmSinistar: I have to have a grown-up do that.
this explains the velcro fasteners and the crash helmet at least...