It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CarrionCrow: That's just silly, I'd never let them get ahold of a GOG-

Um, I mean....nevermind.
PRECIOUS!

Edit: this un sums you up better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs_TZFjbJ8
Post edited March 09, 2015 by Sachys
Alright folks, it's resting time for me. I will make a guess that when I wake up, the Insomnia won't be over yet, even if there is just a paltry number of deals remaining (7 games and 2 movies). Good morning/afternoon/night/whatever to everyone!
Dalthnock: It's a lose-lose situation. The most we, as customers, can hope is that it keeps growing steadily, but not enough. But for that to happen, you have to give it space. Otherwise you'll kill it by being over-protective. It happens.
It's the same thing that IRC users on the Internet felt when AOL announced they were going to allow their users access to IRC.

When you open the 'floodgates' and let everyone in, you're going to have to deal with quite a number of people who are not going to be honest and cause problems.

On the same token, you're going to find new people who are really an asset to the community.

It will always grow steadily, but you can't put a cap on it.
The_Blog: Got it to work.
To anybody who want's to install Anno 1503 on Windows 8. Use this:
http://www.anno-zone.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=247407#post247407
It is still a bit slow but better than nothing.
Thanks for the tip, I've got ANNO 1404 but don't play it much because I believe it now requires being loaded through UPLAY. Same reason I don't play my copy of Assassin's Creed 2.
Grargar: Alright folks, it's resting time for me. I will make a guess that when I wake up, the Insomnia won't be over yet, even if there is just a paltry number of deals remaining (7 games and 2 movies). Good morning/afternoon/night/whatever to everyone!
Good evening... :)
Dalthnock: - If GOG stagnates, or even worse, declines, it'll close a deal with the DRM devil.

- If GOG grows enough to seriously compete with Steam, it'll shed its old customer base, possibly most of the current personnel, including management, that fought to keep it the way it is to this day & will conform to the corporate mandates of the business world, including DRM.
Geralt_of_Rivia: That does not make any sense at all.

In the first case, if GOG isn't doing well and they eliminate the only thing that separates them from the store that must not be named here they will lose most of their customers over night. Why buy on GOG when you can buy there directly?

And in the second case: If GOG can prove that DRM-free distribution works by growing into a serious competitor for the big boys without giving up on DRM-free why should they get rid of it? If they do they become just another shop. If they don't they have a USP that nobody else has.
It does make sense.

In the first case, if they're already declining, they won't have anything to lose. Declining sales have ALWAYS changed business practices. Always.

In the second case, when something becomes too big, it attracts potential buyers. If it's acquired, staff changes aren't uncommon. Which translates into a different mentality, ultimately ending in the all-powerful corporation mantra: Maximize short-term profit by any means necessary. You may know it as "bleeding a company dry, then throwing away the dried up husk".

Believe me - the best way to safeguard your interests in GOG is allowing it to keep growing just enough. Any other scenario spells doom.
Dalthnock: - If GOG stagnates, or even worse, declines, it'll close a deal with the DRM devil.

- If GOG grows enough to seriously compete with Steam, it'll shed its old customer base, possibly most of the current personnel, including management, that fought to keep it the way it is to this day & will conform to the corporate mandates of the business world, including DRM.
Geralt_of_Rivia: That does not make any sense at all.

In the first case, if GOG isn't doing well and they eliminate the only thing that separates them from the store that must not be named here they will lose most of their customers over night. Why buy on GOG when you can buy there directly?

And in the second case: If GOG can prove that DRM-free distribution works by growing into a serious competitor for the big boys without giving up on DRM-free why should they get rid of it? If they do they become just another shop. If they don't they have a USP that nobody else has.
GOG.com HAS TO STICK to DRM-FREE policy - otherwise 80% of its customers will go away... to Steam - or Steam selling vendors (Gamersgate.com, greenmangaming.com, humble bundle and others smaller ones). Geralt_of_Rivia is right - GOG.com has to have USP to stick around in this industry. Steam was a monopolist and I remeber ages ago when GOG.com goal was to become number 2 in digital games distribution. To become number one that is a task that looks impossible - the whole industry would have to change....
Sachys: "It puts the gog game in the basket, unless it wants the hose again"

o____O?
CarrionCrow: That's just silly, I'd never let them get ahold of a GOG-

Um, I mean....nevermind.
jackster79: Methinks thou dost protest too much... LOL

Wow, that bad huh? Not even one of those with a jackhammer attached to the end would get through?
CarrionCrow: Not sure about that, but I know a standard model wasn't able to do the job. Just ended up with a very pissed off backhoe owner.
It wouldn't be one of those "fiber-seeking backhoe" models would it?
Grargar: Good morning/afternoon/night/whatever to everyone!
Same to you!
Grargar: Good morning/afternoon/night/whatever to everyone!
jackster79: Same to you!
Hello!
xep624: Hello!
Hello! (or is it Good morning?)
I owe, I owe, well, you know the banal rhetoric. Sleepy time for me, all of you have a good one and may you all survive this insomnia.
Dalthnock: It's a lose-lose situation. The most we, as customers, can hope is that it keeps growing steadily, but not enough. But for that to happen, you have to give it space. Otherwise you'll kill it by being over-protective. It happens.
JDelekto: It's the same thing that IRC users on the Internet felt when AOL announced they were going to allow their users access to IRC.

When you open the 'floodgates' and let everyone in, you're going to have to deal with quite a number of people who are not going to be honest and cause problems.

On the same token, you're going to find new people who are really an asset to the community.

It will always grow steadily, but you can't put a cap on it.
Be that as it may, you can't keep a stagnating business nowadays. It's just not how things work any more.

In the olden days, you could do that with a small shop. You had your bills all paid, regular customers, you made end's meet, everything hunky-dory.

When was the last time you saw a business operating like that?
The_Blog: Got it to work.
To anybody who want's to install Anno 1503 on Windows 8. Use this:
http://www.anno-zone.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=247407#post247407
It is still a bit slow but better than nothing.
Ragnarblackmane: Thanks for the tip, I've got ANNO 1404 but don't play it much because I believe it now requires being loaded through UPLAY. Same reason I don't play my copy of Assassin's Creed 2.
I have a Disc version of Anno 1404 and Addon and it has no DRM whatssoever. The Tages DRM even got removed through a patch. So you do not have to register the copy. I recommend searching for a disc copy if you don't like Uplay.
Post edited March 09, 2015 by The_Blog
JDelekto: I owe, I owe, well, you know the banal rhetoric. Sleepy time for me, all of you have a good one and may you all survive this insomnia.
Good night!

And with that, I think it is time I bowed out myself. With the hour change, now I need to work on going to sleep EARLIER than I did yesterday.

Farewell everyone still in the hunt!