It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ariaspi: Hey guys, I have some questions for you. When you do backups for your GOG games, you save just the installers, or the bonus content too (movies, artwork, music etc.)? Do you make checksum/hash files for them?

Also, for some games, it seems to be big discrepancies between the listed installer size and the downloaded size. For example: Jagged Alliance 2 - listed 546 MB, downloaded 412 MB; Deus Ex GOTY - listed 431 MB, downloaded 364.
I'm downloading the Windows versions from the browser, not using the GOG Downloader. I don't think it's about corrupted downloads because I downloaded them twice and the connection is stable between 2-4 MB/s.
Here is a discussion about backup behavior.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/do_you_trust_your_library_or_backup_your_collection/?search=trust
simonm197: As I am completly new to the Shadowrun universe, will I be able to understand/enjoy the storyline without any background knowledge?
It's a cyberpunk world, with the twist that magic started coming back, having people turn into dwarves, orks, elves, et cetera spontaneously as the returning magic activated their latent heritage. Now you have megacorps hiring rat shamans to steal AI research from a dragon and similar insanity.
The moment when you realise you haven't forgotten when the first hidden health kit was placed in the very first level of the very first Tomb Raider QQ Priceless!!
Post edited March 07, 2015 by Prohzac
MarkoH01: Oh you people with your "yes, I buy it twice to have it DRM-free", "I did this several times" blablablablabla
When I asked you, I expected you to shake your head and ask me if I am crazy or sth.

Did just buy Alan Wake AN the second time. Now have to wait for Alan Wake original to have both games DRM-free.
And of course still waiting for Mind since I've seen a Let's play and was blown away by the style of it (I love surealism).
In general if I have a working copy of something on Steam I wont buy it again anywhere unless I am getting something out of it that is worth spending the extra money which is not likely in most cases. One exception are if it is a GOG bundle where you have to buy all of the games to get the biggest discount, but avoiding the game or games I have loses the discount and I'd actually end up paying more for just the games I want than if I bought all of them including the ones I already have. I do rebuy on GOG some games I have on CD/DVD, but it depends on the game and my perception of convenience for that particular game. If a game is on like 90 CDs for example, I will attach my money to the CDs and throw them like frisbees to poland to pay for the GOG version for the convenience it provides.

HEY TEX MURPHY! YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU!

:oP
high rated
budejovice: As merely pro-town, I can neither confirm nor deny the freshness of the game. I did more than enough by eliminating trenton's list from contention. ;)

EDIT: And thanks everyone re: 500!
Ok, you think that you crawled out of answering the question, but I can tell you that you failed to do so in a quite legendary way.
toxicTom: Check your PM.
Bit late cause of dinner but thank you so very much!

And since you said you didn't want the Wizardry 6+7 key I gift it to whomever wants to have it :) (Without riddle because I suck at riddles)
Post edited March 07, 2015 by Ruixi
Alright! A critical .... ahhhh crap. Swing and a miss.

Anyone else had this roller coaster ride?
high rated
ariaspi:
The listed size is often wrong and should rarely relate to a corrupted download. I would definitely advise you to backup all extras as well. A few games have had issues with extra content being removed due to issues likely beyond GOG's control (copyright).
budejovice: As merely pro-town, I can neither confirm nor deny the freshness of the game. I did more than enough by eliminating trenton's list from contention. ;)

EDIT: And thanks everyone re: 500!
HypersomniacLive: Ok, you think that you crawled out of answering the question, but I can tell you that you failed to do so in a quite legendary way.
*power-lurking mode on* hat tip to CSPVG. :)
Post edited March 07, 2015 by budejovice
bler144: As the sale goes on the forums are eating more and more of my posts.
As the sale goes on, the trolls are down-repping more and more posts *wry look* I'm not sure what the point is. Silly trolls :p
hummer010: Alright! A critical .... ahhhh crap. Swing and a miss.

every time XD
MarkoH01: Oh you people with your "yes, I buy it twice to have it DRM-free", "I did this several times" blablablablabla
When I asked you, I expected you to shake your head and ask me if I am crazy or sth.

Did just buy Alan Wake AN the second time. Now have to wait for Alan Wake original to have both games DRM-free.
And of course still waiting for Mind since I've seen a Let's play and was blown away by the style of it (I love surealism).
skeletonbow: In general if I have a working copy of something on Steam I wont buy it again anywhere unless I am getting something out of it that is worth spending the extra money which is not likely in most cases. One exception are if it is a GOG bundle where you have to buy all of the games to get the biggest discount, but avoiding the game or games I have loses the discount and I'd actually end up paying more for just the games I want than if I bought all of them including the ones I already have. I do rebuy on GOG some games I have on CD/DVD, but it depends on the game and my perception of convenience for that particular game. If a game is on like 90 CDs for example, I will attach my money to the CDs and throw them like frisbees to poland to pay for the GOG version for the convenience it provides.

HEY TEX MURPHY! YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU!

:oP
And where were you 30 minutes ago?
hummer010: Alright! A critical .... ahhhh crap. Swing and a miss.

Yeah, we're all on the same train.
Dalthnock: Yeah, it's a mess. Like everything in life, you have to weigh the pros & cons of what you are about to decide, accept that you're going to get the good with the bad & select the option least likely to cause you trouble in the future.

And then fail miserably.

But seriously, I know it's risky putting all my games here, no matter how much I trust this site - which is a lot.

But the alternatives & all the hassle attached to them simply aren't worth it.

At the end of the day, they're just games. I'd prefer to have my mind free to track other things & have my time free to do something else than keeping a list.
wizardofid: I don't have a problem with, I lost content I got way back in 2000 recently, and a such I now have back ups of every thing. and that costs money, gog just makes it easy download the game, throw in a folder, and get around to it when it suits you.

With steam, there is also a few DRM free games, I have a such gone through them all and copied them to over to my digital folder and removed them from steam.It's a work in process but I like my folders neat and tidy, and stuff backed up as I go along.

I haven't backed up any stuff in the last 4 weeks, been swamped with other projects it's starting to eat at me how messy the folders are. I have file directory OCD
I used to have the same backup OCD. But I finally decided that it was completely unnecessary and all that time could be wasted on playing games or something else.

In the very unlikely event that GOG and/or Steam go out of business, AND don't have a backup plan for customers, then:

1 - They're just games.
2 - Every bit of the stuff that I used to waste backup tapes and Zip disks and external HDs on is out there on the Internet. If I need it I'll find it.
bler144: As the sale goes on the forums are eating more and more of my posts.
genkicolleen: As the sale goes on, the trolls are down-repping more and more posts *wry look* I'm not sure what the point is. Silly trolls :p
Wich posts are downrepped and how can I see this?
toxicTom: Check your PM.
Ruixi: Bit late cause of dinner but thank you so very much!

And since you said you didn't want the Wizardry 6+7 key I gift it to whomever wants to have it :) (Without riddle because I suck at riddles)
I can't think of anything good off the top of my head either. Perhaps see who knows what major international holiday is coming up next week?