It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

neumi5694: This raises the question why you are here if you don't like it.
If I don't like something, I don't waste my time being angry about it and do something else instead. But that's just me.
But I'm trying to understand: Why are you here?
petitmal: Such a friendly question, thanks! I am here because I own several games, perhaps? Because I sometimes visit these forums? Because someone asked a general question about GOG I felt I should answer?

Now, I would like to know why you ask me this particular question in a thread that handles the sublect: "Does anyone actually LIKE GOG?"

Didn't you like my reply?
So you like it at least partially, that's good :)
No, your reply was fine, I have nothing to complain about. I just don't understand why some people go to places they don't like. So I ask them once in a while.
Some go to several forums just to be angry and complain, trying to annoy others and/or make their life miserable. You don't seem the type (judging from that one post, I didn't read any others), so you were one of those I asked.
JoaoPauloZA: Take for instance the fact that many offline installers are not up-to-date, users are forced to use Galaxy oftentimes because that is the only way to be up-to-date
Which games do that? I've not had those problems here.

LordCephy: The worst was seeing food merchandise on a dirty floor. Nobody should be buying or eating that. It also makes you wonder as to exactly what does a business that carries food merchandise have to do in order to not pass the retail food inspections.
Ugh. Thankfully I've never seen that, though the produce tends to be of a lower quality than what you'd get at a grocery store like Publix or Winn Dixie. I honestly don't get why anyone would choose to go to a department store like Walmart for produce....
RawSteelUT: Which games do that? I've not had those problems here.
See here.
JoaoPauloZA: Take for instance the fact that many offline installers are not up-to-date, users are forced to use Galaxy oftentimes because that is the only way to be up-to-date, patches are sometimes mismatched forcing a complete redownload to update, etc, etc, etc. It really is a mess tbh.
Yeah, I defend GOG for the most part but missing patches... even for Galaxy versions sometimes... is definitely a big negative. Hopefully as the pandemic fades away they can put more staff on these issues.
low rated
Yes! Mostly DRM-free. Lots of games on sale. Up to YOU to do your homework before buying. GOG is ethical when it comes to charging VAT on sales, which as a Bora Bora resident 1/2 a globe away, we appreciate and respect. We are, after all, a Polish peasant at heart. ;-))
StingingVelvet: missing patches... even for Galaxy versions sometimes... is definitely a big negative
I think that should be GOG's biggest concern.
I like the idea of GOG better than GOG itself.
If there were another DRM free store with anything close to a comparable catalog I'd be over there. In the meantime, if those few other stores do have a game I want I'll get it there over GOG.
low rated
RawSteelUT: Which games do that? I've not had those problems here.
Cavalary: See here.
I cannot speak to the rest of the games as I don't have them, but the list is wrong about X: Tension. The offline installer is also version 2.3

EDIT: Ah, saw System Shock 2 there, and yeah, it's still 2.48. What does update-2 even do, anyway? For all we know, it could be related to Galaxy integration.
Attachments:
Post edited March 11, 2022 by RawSteelUT
low rated
As I said, even with these missing patches, mismatched versions, and Galaxy nonsense, they really are about as good as it gets for the DRM-free consumer. So at the end of the day, I still prefer them over Epic, Steam, Microsoft, etc. I don't think fixing these issues is really all that intellectually challenging, but rather it is stymied due to mismanagement, lack of resources (both monetary and human), and really the desire to rapidly expand the catalog without regard to what has already been established as their foundational user base.

In other words, they have been trying to keep up with the Joneses. That means trying to be like the competitors. I have faith they can fix it though. You see that many times they (GOG) try to publish titles as soon as they are released. This is probably even costly for them, as most companies aren't aboard the DRM-free bandwagon for obvious financial reasons. However, GOG feels as though this makes them viable competitors in the gaming industry, but they forgot what their market share really was. GOG needs to focus on their curation of older titles. As a natural progression of time when these newer titles become older titles, then GOG can please us by adding them.

However, that's my opinion, and opinions are like assholes. Most people have them, but they often stink.
Post edited March 11, 2022 by JoaoPauloZA
GOG obviously has flaws. Some of the issues are things GOG could fix, whereas some other depend on widespread cultural trends out of GOGs control.

In any case GOG is my favourite source of computer games. Being DRM free is important; and having an easy way to keep games up to date is pretty important too. GOG does both of those things reasonably well.

As for some games not getting expansion packs on GOG or whatever; I don't really blame GOG for that. I'm sure that GOG is providing users with all updates that are supplied to them. If a developer choices not to release their game or expansion pack on GOG; that sucks for us, but its the developer's choice.
low rated
blind3rdeye: GOG obviously has flaws. Some of the issues are things GOG could fix, whereas some other depend on widespread cultural trends out of GOGs control.

In any case GOG is my favourite source of computer games. Being DRM free is important; and having an easy way to keep games up to date is pretty important too. GOG does both of those things reasonably well.

As for some games not getting expansion packs on GOG or whatever; I don't really blame GOG for that. I'm sure that GOG is providing users with all updates that are supplied to them. If a developer choices not to release their game or expansion pack on GOG; that sucks for us, but its the developer's choice.
That's an important thing, yeah, GOG can't force publishers to give them something.

JoaoPauloZA: However, GOG feels as though this makes them viable competitors in the gaming industry, but they forgot what their market share really was. GOG needs to focus on their curation of older titles. As a natural progression of time when these newer titles become older titles, then GOG can please us by adding them.
Pretty much. GOG's built this place up to the point where they can get more sales of CDPR's own games on here than on Steam, and that's a huge accomplishment. However, given how niche PC gaming is, it's going to be very hard to topple the 800-lb gorilla that is Steam. GOG's better off taking the Nintendo approach and just doing what they're best at - in GOG's case being older games, indies, games that aren't as big, maybe more of the arcade and console stuff. There's plenty out there without trying to be all things to all people, which I think has been GOG's REAL issue. It's impossible to be all things to all people, but it's very easy to be the right things for your audience, as Nintendo has been proving for years now. It's clear that they're trying to right the ship (I still can't believe they got Legacy of Kain!), though it'll probably take some time.

If GOG can stick to what brought them to the dance, they'll be fine. If that means we have to wait a wile for certain games or just miss out on them on the PC, so be it, but GOG is better off defining itself on what IS here than what isn't.
low rated
RawSteelUT: Not a troll question.

It seems that every single time anything happens here, at all, 50,000 threads of doom and gloom show up on this forum. While it's certainly gone up to 11 with the whole Russia/Belarus thing, it seems that nearly everything that happens here is hate. Not thoughtful criticism, not trying to make things better. Pure, unadulterated venom. Hell, people kept complaining after GoG took down the Hitman game that shouldn't have been on here in the first place. It's a wonder GoG listens to us at all. Lord knows I have trouble holding willing myself to come here sometimes. You'd think a DRM-Free store with the single most lenient refund policy for a shop of its type would have people giving SOME benefit of the doubt.

Not that GoG is perfect, mind. Only one example of perfection has ever existed upon the earth, and He died on the cross for us. However, there just seems to be constant doom and gloom on this site, and it makes it really hard to sort out the thoughtful debate from the boycott threads and Putin sympathizers.

So, I ask again; does anyone actually LIKE GoG? Like, not begrudgingly?
Only a minority is doing that. Frustrated, job and wifeless manchildren. For some reason they don’t leave so there i answered your question
NijinskyV: Yes! Mostly DRM-free. Lots of games on sale. Up to YOU to do your homework before buying. GOG is ethical when it comes to charging VAT on sales, which as a Bora Bora resident 1/2 a globe away, we appreciate and respect. We are, after all, a Polish peasant at heart. ;-))
Good answer
Post edited March 11, 2022 by Wheezyyyy
Yes I like GoG

My direct interaction with GoG staff has always been pleasant, and on the whole I feel the Store and its sister company are trying to be good companies.

Have they made mistakes? absolutely, but mostly apologised and tried to fix the issues. Could they do better? of course.

For me the worst part of GoG is "that" part of its community. Gaming has an unpleasant, deep rooted and often very vocal toxic component, so it should be little surprise they exist here.
low rated
Yes I did originally like gog.
The reasons being were:-
The add value of sound tracks, artwork and manuals on their old titles.
I liked how their free games introduced me to some things that I had not been exposed to before and would normally not buy; which influenced me to think their curation was good.
Their community seemed quite peppy and helpful.
They had strong stances that were egalitarian; no tracking, no drm (aside from the old games that had it built in that referenced manuals etc.), their international pricing parity.
I also liked how they seemed to put in work to get old titles to work not only on new hardware, but simplicity (now it seems they are throwing out bug riddled messes from what people are saying in reviews).
I liked and still like the games library page that has retail-esque boxed art on shelving style adequately spaced; though i would prefer to have all of my titles on the one page instead of over multiple pages).

Now they are little more than a pack of corporate wolves for all it seems; but with other alternatives still only in a fledgling state we can only remind them of their niche and hold them accountable to their own actions in the hope they improve before others become viable or the market shifts to snuff them out (as steam is likely too with it's move to support linux eating one of GOG's prior to available market shares it could of dominated in).

If you love something you don't let it trample your heart to it's own ends, you remind it that care is a mutual exchange and if a simple word is not enough; then you leave it to it's consequences.

BTW with the Hitman debacle the reason people still complain is because from it's historic lesson GOG has not learnt to put a safeguard in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Until it can show it is learning it's lessons current backlash is something to be tolerated and weathered upon it's slippery slope; a frog slowly brought back to boil time and again to continue the corporate push.
Personally I don't see why the gwent loot box gambling system hasn't continued to be rallied against.
If you are not outraged beyond reason it's because all of us who have insisted on reason and gently tried to guide GOG away from this state have been pushed to a state of fervent anger already; to poison GOG's money well as obviously our own personal impacts haven't sent the message strongly enough.

You will get there eventually as all effort is wasted on the deaf ears of fools, without the where withall to take the temperature of their own niche & client base, and whence you are rewarded by repeated taunts by their advertisers and antagonism by their feign statements.
Post edited March 11, 2022 by illiousintahl
As you can see by responses in this thread, most who inhabit the forum like GOG.

It is just that those who dislike GOG the most, are generally the most vocal and most negative, with very little or no positivity, and if you aren't paying enough attention, they can give the wrong impression of the general sentiment here toward GOG.

That's not to say those of us who like GOG, don't have complaints about certain aspects of GOG, many of us do from what I have read ... we have quite a number of issues.

Some folk, especially a good number of the older ones, seem to see GOG as a bunch of folk who have or had a set of DRM-Free etc values, who just happen to have a store that sells games.

Whereas in reality, GOG is a store first and foremost, created to sell games that are DRM-Free, inline with a bunch of ideals that their owners have or had, but are subject to change according to conditions on the ground.

The last thing GOG wants to do is fail. That helps no-one and does nothing for the DRM-Free movement.

Some feel GOG are not living up to its duty of care or past standards. If GOG fail and don't survive, then that is an even bigger letdown for all of us who care about DRM-Free, and I seriously doubt there will be a second chance, as DRM-Free is not the way of the world, and the world is ever moving closer to more subscription models.