It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

LordCephy: What I really don't get though is people go into a shop they profess to hate then waste energy letting everyone know how much they hate the shop when they probably wouldn't do this in real life. I mean, why not just find a shop they do like, buy their games and go play them.
Which would no doubt be the expected response from a rational person, but the internet harbours a great deal of irrational people...
high rated
GOG could be better, they still have a few things to improve. But on the whole, yes I actually like GOG.
LordCephy: What I really don't get though is people go into a shop they profess to hate then waste energy letting everyone know how much they hate the shop when they probably wouldn't do this in real life. I mean, why not just find a shop they do like, buy their games and go play them.
Trooper1270: Which would no doubt be the expected response from a rational person, but the internet harbours a great deal of irrational people...
You aren't wrong. Could you imagine if people did this shit for real? Like, they went to Target and just complained about how horrible Target was?
karnak1: If not for GOG how the hell would I manage to play so many good games (without any client attached) on my offline Intel 1.33GHz Atom laptop with only 2GB RAM?
Good heavens!
I like them.

I've already purchased a lot of DRM free games here, a lot of them completed, a lot of them bought for cents to play someday, the same as some unread books in my home library. I try to use my money wisely, to make world a bit better place, which means supporting those who are worth my support. And I believe GOG is still a great platform fighting to deliver games the way I want them to be delivered. I don't like how things look today, gaming subscriptions, closed OSes/platforms/ecosystems. GOG is different. I feel I own my games here, I have freedom and full control. I like it and because of that I still like GOG. They're not perfect, the same as Linux is not perfect, some of newspapers I read are not perfect and some services I pay for are not perfect, but they're still those "good ones" and without them I'd probably stopped purchasing/playing games.
Trooper1270: Which would no doubt be the expected response from a rational person, but the internet harbours a great deal of irrational people...
RawSteelUT: You aren't wrong. Could you imagine if people did this shit for real? Like, they went to Target and just complained about how horrible Target was?
People do that though.

The point of saying what I like and what I don't like here at least for me...means I'm hope to give feedback to the people who run the store.

I will still buy from GOG, there are just a lot of things they have done that I don't like and things they really need to focus their energies on fixing like bringing back the easy offline download program and as I mentioned it's DRM free....so I'd rather support my games here then another platform.
RawSteelUT: You aren't wrong. Could you imagine if people did this shit for real? Like, they went to Target and just complained about how horrible Target was?
Although around here, it's Walmart that gives off the probably has a meth lab in one of the aisles vibe. The last time I was there, I was looking for cat litter. Rather than complain in the store about the store being dirty with more merchandise on the floor than the shelves and that some of the aisles seemed a bit sketchy, I decided that there's plenty of other places that I can buy stuff for my cat to piss on.
I do like them, actually. Maybe not as much as I did ten years ago, But GOG is still my preferred game store. I'll happily buy elsewhere if a game is cheaper or better serviced, though. (or, like Skyrim and other games, never gonna be here).

I'll bitch loudly when they screw up on my stuff, just like I would at any retailer, other than that life is too full of real problems to worry about how GOG runs their business, I'm a happy customer most of the time.
Yeah, this place is fine, I really like it, good people, good service, I even like to spend time in the forum and I'm not often a forum guy.
Indeed, hardly any store does everything perfect. Nor do they have to. As long as they at least do what they promise.

So: no. I do not like GOG. Yes, their support people are a friendly bunch, but so are the support people at other stores.

It's GOG and its policies, which are pretentious and sometimes downright dishonest. I can go into detail but that doesn't seem to be the purpose of this question. (Are you familiar with the (Dutch?) proverb: "Trust arrives walking and departs riding"?) Lets just say GOG is very good at make believe; windowdressing. Just read the bulk of the comments to this post.

It is the main reason GOG stopped to be my preferred place to buy games though at first and helped to decide to no longer buy games from a little over a year ago.
Post edited March 10, 2022 by petitmal
low rated
LordCephy: Although around here, it's Walmart that gives off the probably has a meth lab in one of the aisles vibe. The last time I was there, I was looking for cat litter. Rather than complain in the store about the store being dirty with more merchandise on the floor than the shelves and that some of the aisles seemed a bit sketchy, I decided that there's plenty of other places that I can buy stuff for my cat to piss on.
Damn, sounds like the Walmart by you is right horrible. The ones by me are clean (thankfully), but good luck getting help for anything. You can never find anyone who speaks English, and even then, good luck getting anyone to unlock the game closet or help you pick up something on a high shelf, and no one knows what the products even are, let alone where they are.

I SO prefer Target.
LordCephy: Although around here, it's Walmart that gives off the probably has a meth lab in one of the aisles vibe. The last time I was there, I was looking for cat litter. Rather than complain in the store about the store being dirty with more merchandise on the floor than the shelves and that some of the aisles seemed a bit sketchy, I decided that there's plenty of other places that I can buy stuff for my cat to piss on.
RawSteelUT: Damn, sounds like the Walmart by you is right horrible. The ones by me are clean (thankfully), but good luck getting help for anything. You can never find anyone who speaks English, and even then, good luck getting anyone to unlock the game closet or help you pick up something on a high shelf, and no one knows what the products even are, let alone where they are.

I SO prefer Target.
The worst was seeing food merchandise on a dirty floor. Nobody should be buying or eating that. It also makes you wonder as to exactly what does a business that carries food merchandise have to do in order to not pass the retail food inspections.
petitmal: Indeed, hardly any store does everything perfect. Nor do they have to. As long as they at least do what they promise.

So: no. I do not like GOG. Yes, their support people are a friendly bunch, but so are the support people at other stores.

It's GOG and its policies, which are pretentious and sometimes downright dishonest. I can go into detail but that doesn't seem to be the purpose of this question. (Are you familiar with the (Dutch?) proverb: "Trust arrives walking and departs riding"?) Lets just say GOG is very good at make believe; windowdressing. Just read the bulk of the comments to this post.

It is the main reason GOG stopped to be my preferred place to buy games though at first and helped to decide to no longer buy games from a little over a year ago.
This raises the question why you are here if you don't like it.
If I don't like something, I don't waste my time being angry about it and do something else instead. But that's just me.
But I'm trying to understand: Why are you here?
petitmal: Indeed, hardly any store does everything perfect. Nor do they have to. As long as they at least do what they promise.

neumi5694: This raises the question why you are here if you don't like it.
If I don't like something, I don't waste my time being angry about it and do something else instead. But that's just me.
But I'm trying to understand: Why are you here?
Such a friendly question, thanks! I am here because I own several games, perhaps? Because I sometimes visit these forums? Because someone asked a general question about GOG I felt I should answer?

Now, I would like to know why you ask me this particular question in a thread that handles the sublect: "Does anyone actually LIKE GOG?"

Didn't you like my reply?
low rated
I actually really like GoG and can overlook 90% of their follies. I'm still an advocate for DRM-free gaming, and this is probably about as good as it gets in that aspect. The prices are cheap, and the sales are numerous. However, they really do have some serious management and quality issues at hand that defeat the purpose of DRM-free. Take for instance the fact that many offline installers are not up-to-date, users are forced to use Galaxy oftentimes because that is the only way to be up-to-date, patches are sometimes mismatched forcing a complete redownload to update, etc, etc, etc. It really is a mess tbh.

At the end of the day, I can usually overlook all those aforementioned things because of the cost. There is an old adage though, "You get what you pay for."