It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FearfulSymmetry: Because we're students of English Language & Culture and as such speaking anything but English is sacrilege. :P Also, we have a fair number of international students who cannot speak Dutch, so they would get lost very quickly. The only time some Dutch is allowed is when studying Middle English, because it's rather similar to some Dutch words/pronounciations.

There was a big to do here a while ago because the government shut down some prostitution boats. (Yes, we have specially designated prostitution boats ... :P) The prostitutes were not pleased at all because they liked the boats as it enabled them to have their own space rather than moving around a lot.

I know right? Revolutionary. :P

Sounds good! I'm curious to hear it. :)
I guess that makes sense. I did not know if it was some university wide rule. It does seem strange that rather than expect the international students to speak Dutch they expect the Dutch people to be able to speak English. But I guess it makes sense as well in a way.

So you have real life Love Boats? Is that what the old US TV series is about? I knew those 'mericans were just as weird as the Europeans. :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_Boat

*big revolutionary hug*
It's somewhat odd reading the process of a ninja-attack on yourself... but it doesn't make the smile any smaller. Please +1 the living hell out of our Battle Sister for me :-)

ddickinson: Okay, but since you are hiding at home I will just have to fire the laser through the roof. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJTHVF4Mwgg
n__o ... What is it with you people always destroying are White House? >:-| ... Let us do it next time \o/
ddickinson: I guess that makes sense. I did not know if it was some university wide rule. It does seem strange that rather than expect the international students to speak Dutch they expect the Dutch people to be able to speak English. But I guess it makes sense as well in a way.

So you have real life Love Boats? Is that what the old US TV series is about? I knew those 'mericans were just as weird as the Europeans. :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_Boat

*big revolutionary hug*
It's not university wide, but there has definitely been an increase in the number of studies that use English as the main language. It's partly an effort to be more international, but it also has to do with the study materials available. Dutch is a small language and as such the good books have not always been translated, and there sometimes is no alternative for the English text. You can see what studies my university offers solely in English here. A fair amount, and the number is increasing all the time. Some other courses are also taught in Dutch but do use English materials.

Whahahaha. I'm guessing that love boat stuff is rather more romantic than the prostitution boats are, though. :P

*huge hug*
AgentBirdnest: It's somewhat odd reading the process of a ninja-attack on yourself... but it doesn't make the smile any smaller. Please +1 the living hell out of our Battle Sister for me :-)

n__o ... What is it with you people always destroying are White House? >:-| ... Let us do it next time \o/
Do movies and games still destroy American landmarks? They seemed to stop quite a bit after the 2001 terrorist attacks? I thought that is why everything disastrous always seems to happen to London now, or other places the US would possibly recognise?

Disclaimer: I don't really watch TV or movies, so it's possible none of what I said is true. If so then please ignore. :-)

Oh, and we do it because it is fun. Besides, I thought we agreed it was the Moomins who burned it down in the 1812 war? :-)
AgentBirdnest: It's somewhat odd reading the process of a ninja-attack on yourself... but it doesn't make the smile any smaller. Please +1 the living hell out of our Battle Sister for me :-)
I've been doing so already. ;)
FearfulSymmetry: It's not university wide, but there has definitely been an increase in the number of studies that use English as the main language. It's partly an effort to be more international, but it also has to do with the study materials available. Dutch is a small language and as such the good books have not always been translated, and there sometimes is no alternative for the English text. You can see what studies my university offers solely in English here. A fair amount, and the number is increasing all the time. Some other courses are also taught in Dutch but do use English materials.

Whahahaha. I'm guessing that love boat stuff is rather more romantic than the prostitution boats are, though. :P

*huge hug*
I did not considered the study material, I guess with Dutch being a small language there would be more information available that is not in Dutch. I do find it a little sad that many countries are dropping their own language elements for English. I read recently that France is dropping the diacritic elements from thousands of their words and making other changes. China has banned many words in an attempt to stop English seeping into their language. Italy has posters and things in all English, as do many places. It is one thing to have a second language, but a bit sad that it effects the use of your own so much.

But some of those books and movies with prostitutes makes it seem so romantic and heartfelt. Don't tell me they make it all up. :-)

*big giant hug*
Post edited February 10, 2016 by ddickinson
ddickinson: Some of the academic stuff I am working on includes theology in the US during the 18th and 19th century, so I can always give you some quotes by Americans who would argue against that (I am currently reading some of my notes on a Robert G. Ingersoll, who had some interesting things to say about religion, and very well presented some of his arguments were). :-)

Not all DLC is bad, some add reasonable content and things to the game, but looking on Steam you mostly see games chopped up into pieces and resold, or silly DLCs that are there just to milk money from a commercial game. At least free games have a reason for it.
You could quote me if you'd like. I have plenty of "lovely" words to say about that topic ;-)

Things like character skins don't really bother me too much, because I'm not really missing anything. What I really hate is day-one DLC. Which means that the content was already available, but has been cut from the game to be sold separately >:-/ That is so annoying. And it seems to happen more and more.
But yes, there are always good ones. The newer Fallout games had some really great DLC. Some of them were absolutely huge, almost like playing an entire second game. What a long way Bethesda has come since the "horse armour" DLC for Oblivion :-)
Good evening guys *hugs and waves!

Just came back from school. Just watching some videos on Youtube and then I will do my homework! :)
ddickinson: I did not considered the study material, I guess with Dutch being a small language there would be more information available that is not in Dutch. I do find it a little sad that many countries are dropping their own language elements for English. I read recently that France is dropping the diacritic elements from thousands of their words and making other changes. China has banned many words in an attempt to stop English seeping into their language. Italy has posters and things in all English, as do many places. It is one thing to have a second language, but a bit sad that it effects the use of your own so much.

But some of those books and movies with prostitutes makes it seem so romantic and heartfelt. Don't tell me they make it all up. :-)

*big giant hug*
Maybe so, but you have to take into account that with a small country like ours we have to be very focused on our international relationships. Mastering the English language goes a long way towards accomplishing that, which is why we put so much emphasis on it. English is even taught in primary schools here.

I don't see it as a bad movement, but maybe that's because of my attitude towards linguistic changes in general. I tend to be of the opinion that if a language wants to evolve, you should just let it. It's a natural thing, and I do not think that curbing it through excessive rules makes for a succesful practice in the long run. (Although I'll be the first to say we definitely need things like spelling rules. :P)

Haha, sorry for shattering your world view. ;)

*big huge mega giant super hug*
AgentBirdnest: You could quote me if you'd like. I have plenty of "lovely" words to say about that topic ;-)

Things like character skins don't really bother me too much, because I'm not really missing anything. What I really hate is day-one DLC. Which means that the content was already available, but has been cut from the game to be sold separately >:-/ That is so annoying. And it seems to happen more and more.
But yes, there are always good ones. The newer Fallout games had some really great DLC. Some of them were absolutely huge, almost like playing an entire second game. What a long way Bethesda has come since the "horse armour" DLC for Oblivion :-)
"I like peanut butter." ~ Agent, speaking on US religion during the 18th and 19th Century. :-)

It is sad that many games charge full price and then sell parts of the game separately. But sadly people keep supporting this or they would not keep doing it. I don't think I have bought many DLCs. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Outlast DLC, which was an expansion.
FearfulSymmetry: Haha, good one, hadn't thought about that pun yet. :P Yeah, I've been taking lukewarm showers. Washing my hair hasn't been too much fun.
Uff -__- ... I'd almost rather not shower at all than take a lukewarm one. (Why is it called "lukewarm" anyway? Who was Luke, and why wasn't he warm enough? o__O) I'll never feel clean unless it is hot :-\ I dunno if there is some science behind that, or if I'm just obsessive :-p
AgentBirdnest: Uff -__- ... I'd almost rather not shower at all than take a lukewarm one. (Why is it called "lukewarm" anyway? Who was Luke, and why wasn't he warm enough? o__O) I'll never feel clean unless it is hot :-\ I dunno if there is some science behind that, or if I'm just obsessive :-p
Agreed ... Shame society tends to look down on those who don't shower. ;) But I do really miss those nice hot showers. Hopefully I'll be able to take them again sometime next week or so. I tend to take super hot showers as well, I guess it's just a personal preference. :P

I don't know, I think lukewarm is a weird word as well. Not sure about its origins though, maybe it makes sense in some way? In Dutch we call it 'lauw'. :)
FearfulSymmetry: Maybe so, but you have to take into account that with a small country like ours we have to be very focused on our international relationships. Mastering the English language goes a long way towards accomplishing that, which is why we put so much emphasis on it. English is even taught in primary schools here.

I don't see it as a bad movement, but maybe that's because of my attitude towards linguistic changes in general. I tend to be of the opinion that if a language wants to evolve, you should just let it. It's a natural thing, and I do not think that curbing it through excessive rules makes for a succesful practice in the long run. (Although I'll be the first to say we definitely need things like spelling rules. :P)

Haha, sorry for shattering your world view. ;)

*big huge mega giant super hug*
I guess I tend to be more historical with things, and would like to see the languages preserved a little and not just passed up for US English, which is what many seem to be adopting. I know what you mean about language evolving, English itself is evidence of that, but it does not seem right that some countries are having it forced on them in many ways.

You should be, I was only going to Amsterdam for the sexy romantic and heartfelt prostitution culture, now what will I do. I guess I will just have to see what else there is to do there. :-)

*big silly hug*
ddickinson: I guess I tend to be more historical with things, and would like to see the languages preserved a little and not just passed up for US English, which is what many seem to be adopting. I know what you mean about language evolving, English itself is evidence of that, but it does not seem right that some countries are having it forced on them in many ways.

You should be, I was only going to Amsterdam for the sexy romantic and heartfelt prostitution culture, now what will I do. I guess I will just have to see what else there is to do there. :-)

*big silly hug*
I can see your side of things, but especially here it's hard to shield yourself from that. You have to take into account that like 90% of the entertainment we consume here is in English as well. Movies? Mostly English. Music? Mostly English. TV-series? Most English. movies and TV-series get Dutch subtitles but we can't afford to dub them over (which is a practice I abhor anyway). Given that it's not strange that English has made its mark on our language. But if it's any consolation, we do still speak Dutch in our day-to-day life. ;)

Oops, I feel so terrible now. ;) Maybe we can find some extra-nice prostitutes who are willing to pretend?

*return silly hug*
ddickinson: Do movies and games still destroy American landmarks? They seemed to stop quite a bit after the 2001 terrorist attacks? I thought that is why everything disastrous always seems to happen to London now, or other places the US would possibly recognise?

Disclaimer: I don't really watch TV or movies, so it's possible none of what I said is true. If so then please ignore. :-)

Oh, and we do it because it is fun. Besides, I thought we agreed it was the Moomins who burned it down in the 1812 war? :-)
I haven't seen many movies lately either. But it doesn't seem like it's changed much. About 5 years after 9/11, a movie called Cloverfield came out that features the Statue of Liberty being destroyed :-p It's still a pretty common practice, for both US and foreign landmarks. The Golden Gate Bridge seems to fall down about once a year lately :-p
I've always thought it was so silly. I watched Armageddon recently. It's amazing how the asteroids know to hit New York (specifically the World Trade Center), Paris, and Shanghai :-p

Ha right, those darn Moomins! Don't be fooled by the cuteness. They are evil >:-|
ddickinson: "I like peanut butter." ~ Agent, speaking on US religion during the 18th and 19th Century. :-)

It is sad that many games charge full price and then sell parts of the game separately. But sadly people keep supporting this or they would not keep doing it. I don't think I have bought many DLCs. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Outlast DLC, which was an expansion.
Exactly! What isn't lovely about peanut butter? (I just ate some a few minutes ago. Which I can say about 26 times a day n__n)

I've only bought a few myself. I count 6. Half of them were great, and half of them sucked. Which averages out to be 6 very "okay" ones :-p
Post edited February 10, 2016 by AgentBirdnest