It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ddickinson: Perfect, so we have the dress and the wig. Now we just need to get him a fully body wax and he will be all set. :-)
:-O
I'm afraid I wouldn't survive the procedure. I have far too much hair. I'd die from shock mid-waxing.
It's the worst part of having blood drawn - pulling off the bandage after everything is over :-p
AgentBirdnest: Thanks :-)

Ugh... That is the worst! Why can't bodies just pick a temperature and stick with it? >:-/ Switching from cold to hot gets old fast.
(I've been complaining about being cold a lot lately, but the truth is, I prefer it over being hot, so I guess I oughtta shut the hell up :-p)
Exactly! Dumb bodies. They never know what they want. :P

I do find it's easier to do something about feeling cold than about feeling hot. It's easy to put on some extra clothes or grab a blanket, but cooling down when you're feeling very warm is quite difficult. :P
AgentBirdnest: :-O
I'm afraid I wouldn't survive the procedure. I have far too much hair. I'd die from shock mid-waxing.
It's the worst part of having blood drawn - pulling off the bandage after everything is over :-p
I can't take waxing myself either. We should try a gentler alternative, like hair removal cream. ;)
Post edited February 10, 2016 by FearfulSymmetry
FearfulSymmetry: Haha, poor Agent. :) I can just about see him in that dress ...

Yes, I'd love to hear that. :) Haha, well, there's a fair chance you'll run into some of that, since the prostitution and the drugs are very tourist-oriented as well. Makes for a thrilling story, though. :)

I usually tend to visit the Hague (the seat of our government) rather than Amsterdam, because it feels slightly less touristic while still being a big and important city. Maybe you'll get to see that too someday?
Don't forge the cute lady voice he will have to put on as well. I just hope they don't notice he is only speaking American English and not Dutch. :-)

I read an article a while ago about Amsterdam stopping the prostitution for a trial period some time ago. Sadly this lead to a huge increase in the percentage of rape in the city over just one weekend. I guess if they want to stop it it needs to be more gradual. Is prostitution a normal thing in the Netherlands, or is it something the average person would like to see stopped?

Maybe, I would like to visit more of the less tourist areas. I am sure I will find some great things in Amsterdam as well, I was told about a nice Human Body exhibition currently there, which would be interesting to see if it is still there when I go.
ddickinson: Sadly that is how capitalism works, it seems to go hand in hand with corruption, so the rich get richer and make sure they stay that way while not caring for anyone else.

But imagine if the US had to pay 10-20% more for some of their games, would they complain then and not buy as many games, especially given that there is some uncertainty over the validity of the whole regional pricing thing?

I think having a big backlog many of us feel like that. Digital games and big sales are great, but they do leave us with hundreds of games, and for many of us they are still unplayed games for the most part.
Yep... Pretty sad. There are always plenty of politicians who want to eliminate loopholes so billionaires and corporations will actually pay their share... but the billionaires and corporations also have quite a lot of control over who gets elected, and what gets accomplished in congress, so nothing ever really happens.

I think people would complain a lot if they had to pay more for games. But I don't think it would stop many people from buying them. Too many people are sheep. They just go with the flow. People like to say "I won't buy X if this happens" but they never follow through (to be fair, I'm the same way sometimes. Some things just tempt me too damn much :-p)

But... our backlogs never have enough space games :-)
AgentBirdnest: :-O
Okay. I guess we will just have to laser it off. :-)

Now just hold still, I just need to get the satellite in the correct orbit for the Ion hair removal laser....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u-MaNNDnU
Post edited February 10, 2016 by ddickinson
FearfulSymmetry: I do find it's easier to do something about feeling cold than about feeling hot. It's easy to put on some extra clothes or grab a blanket, but cooling down when you're feeling very warm is quite difficult. :P
When you are hot, you need to rely on technology and electricity to cool off. Ice, refrigeration, air conditioning, fans.
When you are cold, grab a blanket like you said, and maybe start a fire >:-) It's much easier. And (for me) it is always so comfy and cozy to have warm and fluffy clothes and blankets (and hot chocolate)... much more cozy than taking clothes off and pointing fans at you :-p
ddickinson: Okay. I guess we will just have to laser it off. :-)

Now just hold still, I just need to get the satellite in the correct orbit for the Ion hair removal laser....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u-MaNNDnU
*laughing hard* XD

Alright, now do the left leg n__o
Post edited February 10, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
I plan to stop by a bit later today and Actually Interact with some of you lovely folks, but for now, another quick hello before I zombie walk to take Sarge outside for a bit. It's been so rainy, windy and cold lately that he hasn't gotten to spend much time outside. This morning, it's just cold, which is the best of the three. The grass has dried enough that we can go play without coming back inside all muddy, so it's time for an outdoor session.

I hope those of you who aren't feeling well get to feeling better soon! Love, sugar and caffeine to you all.

*hugs and waves all around*
AgentBirdnest: Yep... Pretty sad. There are always plenty of politicians who want to eliminate loopholes so billionaires and corporations will actually pay their share... but the billionaires and corporations also have quite a lot of control over who gets elected, and what gets accomplished in congress, so nothing ever really happens.

I think people would complain a lot if they had to pay more for games. But I don't think it would stop many people from buying them. Too many people are sheep. They just go with the flow. People like to say "I won't buy X if this happens" but they never follow through (to be fair, I'm the same way sometimes. Some things just tempt me too damn much :-p)

But... our backlogs never have enough space games :-)
Sadly true, but that is nothing new. Rome fell partly due to corruption, so did many empires and nations. Power corrupts, as the old saying goes. And power and money often go hand in hand.

True, that is how we ended up with incomplete game being sold (early access and episodic), terrible DLC, micro-tansactions, and of course, DRM.

Never enough space games... ;-)

Edit: Well that failed. I tried to get you a sneaky space gift, and it took my money but no game. So I guess I will have to see if support can help. :-(
ddickinson: Don't forge the cute lady voice he will have to put on as well. I just hope they don't notice he is only speaking American English and not Dutch. :-)

I read an article a while ago about Amsterdam stopping the prostitution for a trial period some time ago. Sadly this lead to a huge increase in the percentage of rape in the city over just one weekend. I guess if they want to stop it it needs to be more gradual. Is prostitution a normal thing in the Netherlands, or is it something the average person would like to see stopped?

Maybe, I would like to visit more of the less tourist areas. I am sure I will find some great things in Amsterdam as well, I was told about a nice Human Body exhibition currently there, which would be interesting to see if it is still there when I go.
Luckily for Agent my voice is quite low, so that should be easy enough to fake. :P Don't worry about the Dutch, we're not allowed to speak that in class anyway. :P He'd have to tone down on any American accent, though, because my English is not very distinct in terms of accent. Still, I've had this particular professor for a while and in a class of 10 people he's quite likely to notice I'm not me ... :P

Yeah, it's quite normal here, at least in the bigger cities. I don't think it bothers too many people, and the prostitutes themselves are often quite vocal about their rights. Still, there are certainly shady practices here as well, and those are not always as visible as they should be.

Where I live the prostitutes used to be located quite close to the city center (they moved recently) so when I would walk to the train station at night I could sometimes see them in action, as it were. :P Can't say it ever caused any problems for me, though. I was never harrassed walking around there at night.

I actually heard someone say once you should park your bicycle in sight of the prostitution windows because it's less likely to get stolen with so many people looking out on the street all the time. :P

Oh yes, there are usually some good exhibitions on. Definitely a good idea to check that out and visit some of the museums.
AgentBirdnest: When you are hot, you need to rely on technology and electricity to cool off. Ice, refrigeration, air conditioning, fans.
When you are cold, grab a blanket like you said, and maybe start a fire >:-) It's much easier. And (for me) it is always so comfy and cozy to have warm and fluffy clothes and blankets (and hot chocolate)... much more cozy than taking clothes off and pointing fans at you :-p
Yep, excellent points! I totally agree. :) And yep, warm clothes and hot chocolate are the best ... I still have some trouble with warm liquids (I'm not allowed to inhale too much steam) and I've really been missing my nice cups of tea and hot chocolate ... :P

akhliber: I plan to stop by a bit later today and Actually Interact with some of you lovely folks, but for now, another quick hello before I zombie walk to take Sarge outside for a bit. It's been so rainy, windy and cold lately that he hasn't gotten to spend much time outside. This morning, it's just cold, which is the best of the three. The grass has dried enough that we can go play without coming back inside all muddy, so it's time for an outdoor session.

I hope those of you who aren't feeling well get to feeling better soon! Love, sugar and caffeine to you all.

Hi! *hug* The weather over at your place sounds more or less the same as it is here. Really not fun. :| Hope you have a good day, and have fun walking Sarge!
Post edited February 10, 2016 by FearfulSymmetry
akhliber: I plan to stop by a bit later today and Actually Interact with some of you lovely folks, but for now, another quick hello before I zombie walk to take Sarge outside for a bit. It's been so rainy, windy and cold lately that he hasn't gotten to spend much time outside. This morning, it's just cold, which is the best of the three. The grass has dried enough that we can go play without coming back inside all muddy, so it's time for an outdoor session.

Hey there, Mr Liber!
I actually really like the rain. Going out for a nice rainwalk is always really fun for me. The smell and the sight of everything is so lovely. And the idea that everything suddenly feels more fresh and clean makes me smile. Plus, it's a free outdoor shower ;-) Only downside is the muddy shoes, but that can be fixed by not wearing shoes! :-)

*takes the love and sugar, but passes on the caffeine* Thanks, and I hope you are doing well today! *big hug*
Wow. I know some people complain about GOG support, but I tried to gift Agent, it failed. The order took payment but did not give me the gift code. I sent a support ticket at 12:53, and it was resolved by 12:57. Which is very nice. :-)
ddickinson: Wow. I know some people complain about GOG support, but I tried to gift Agent, it failed. The order took payment but did not give me the gift code. I sent a support ticket at 12:53, and it was resolved by 12:57. Which is very nice. :-)
A while ago I forgot to check the gift box for a game I was buying, and when I contacted support I was also answered within a few minutes, just like with you. The entire matter was resolved within one afternoon. :) So my experience has definitely been good as well.

So, now there's nothing standing in the way of the big ninja gifter anymore? ;)
ddickinson: Sadly true, but that is nothing new. Rome fell partly due to corruption, so did many empires and nations. Power corrupts, as the old saying goes. And power and money often go hand in hand.

True, that is how we ended up with incomplete game being sold (early access and episodic), terrible DLC, micro-tansactions, and of course, DRM.

Never enough space games... ;-)

Edit: Well that failed. I tried to get you a sneaky space gift, and it took my money but no game. So I guess I will have to see if support can help. :-(
But the United States was founded by God, so it can't fail! :-)

Yep... I've eliminated most of those shady practices from my gaming diet, but I still occasionally cave and take part. I will buy DLC if I really enjoyed the game, and the DLC looks like it is actually worth the cost, but most DLC seems to be new weapons, or new character skins, and sometimes even a new difficulty mode that takes things out of the game (Metro: Last Light) o__O
However, I did give into peer pressure and buy the in-dev game Starbound :-p (mostly just because I want to try the multiplayer mode with others here who already bought it, but it turns out that I am really enjoying the game.)

Hmm... Maybe the universe has enforced a "no more gifting Agent" rule, since he has been hit pretty hard over the last month or so :-)
Seriously though, that is incredibly sweet of you, and I'm sorry that GOG messed things up. I hope support gets everything sorted out for you. Now... [insert line here about how you shouldn't worry and don't need to gift me anything, because really, it is getting ridiculous :-p]
FearfulSymmetry: Yep, excellent points! I totally agree. :) And yep, warm clothes and hot chocolate are the best ... I still have some trouble with warm liquids (I'm not allowed to inhale too much steam) and I've really been missing my nice cups of tea and hot chocolate ... :P
Well, you've come to the right place if you are not allowed to have Steam ;-p Does it mean that you can't even take a hot shower?
Well, I hope you recover extra fast, because life without hot chocolate is really not life at all! :-)
Post edited February 10, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
AgentBirdnest: *laughing hard* XD

Alright, now do the left leg n__o
Okay, but since you are hiding at home I will just have to fire the laser through the roof. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJTHVF4Mwgg

I hope you have a lovely walk with Sarge, and I hope you have a really nice day. *big hug*

FearfulSymmetry: Luckily for Agent my voice is quite low, so that should be easy enough to fake. :P Don't worry about the Dutch, we're not allowed to speak that in class anyway. :P He'd have to tone down on any American accent, though, because my English is not very distinct in terms of accent. Still, I've had this particular professor for a while and in a class of 10 people he's quite likely to notice I'm not me ... :P

Yeah, it's quite normal here, at least in the bigger cities. I don't think it bothers too many people, and the prostitutes themselves are often quite vocal about their rights. Still, there are certainly shady practices here as well, and those are not always as visible as they should be.

Where I live the prostitutes used to be located quite close to the city center (they moved recently) so when I would walk to the train station at night I could sometimes see them in action, as it were. :P Can't say it ever caused any problems for me, though. I was never harrassed walking around there at night.

I actually heard someone say once you should park your bicycle in sight of the prostitution windows because it's less likely to get stolen with so many people looking out on the street all the time. :P

Oh yes, there are usually some good exhibitions on. Definitely a good idea to check that out and visit some of the museums.
Why can you not speak Dutch in class? o_O

It is interesting how different countries view things and how they cope with them. I know in some parts or Europe they have built shelters for the prostitutes to use and thing things like that.

So that is why there is so much prostitution, to help keep bike theft at a minimum. What a brilliant idea. :-)

I will try to find out where we are planning to go and let you know.
FearfulSymmetry: A while ago I forgot to check the gift box for a game I was buying, and when I contacted support I was also answered within a few minutes, just like with you. The entire matter was resolved within one afternoon. :) So my experience has definitely been good as well.

So, now there's nothing standing in the way of the big ninja gifter anymore? ;)
That is good. I guess since I never needed to use support before and hearing all the people complain I expected it to take a few days at least.

And the gift has been delivered. Luckily I got some others done last night with no problem. :-)

AgentBirdnest: But the United States was founded by God, so it can't fail! :-)

Yep... I've eliminated most of those shady practices from my gaming diet, but I still occasionally cave and take part. I will buy DLC if I really enjoyed the game, and the DLC looks like it is actually worth the cost, but most DLC seems to be new weapons, or new character skins, and sometimes even a new difficulty mode that takes things out of the game (Metro: Last Light) o__O
However, I did give into peer pressure and buy the in-dev game Starbound :-p (mostly just because I want to try the multiplayer mode with others here who already bought it, but it turns out that I am really enjoying the game.)

Hmm... Maybe the universe has enforced a "no more gifting Agent" rule, since he has been hit pretty hard over the last month or so :-)
Seriously though, that is incredibly sweet of you, and I'm sorry that GOG messed things up. I hope support gets everything sorted out for you. Now... [insert line here about how you shouldn't worry and don't need to gift me anything, because really, it is getting ridiculous :-p]
Some of the academic stuff I am working on includes theology in the US during the 18th and 19th century, so I can always give you some quotes by Americans who would argue against that (I am currently reading some of my notes on a Robert G. Ingersoll, who had some interesting things to say about religion, and very well presented some of his arguments were). :-)

Not all DLC is bad, some add reasonable content and things to the game, but looking on Steam you mostly see games chopped up into pieces and resold, or silly DLCs that are there just to milk money from a commercial game. At least free games have a reason for it.

Well you need to check your chat about that one. :-)

*big hug*
Post edited February 10, 2016 by ddickinson
AgentBirdnest: Well, you've come to the right place if you are not allowed to have Steam ;-p Does it mean that you can't even take a hot shower?
Well, I hope you recover extra fast, because life without hot chocolate is really not life at all! :-)
Haha, good one, hadn't thought about that pun yet. :P Yeah, I've been taking lukewarm showers. Washing my hair hasn't been too much fun.

Agreed! I tried some hot chocolate a few days ago but it was too soon and things didn't work out. :P

ddickinson: Why can you not speak Dutch in class? o_O

It is interesting how different countries view things and how they cope with them. I know in some parts or Europe they have built shelters for the prostitutes to use and thing things like that.

So that is why there is so much prostitution, to help keep bike theft at a minimum. What a brilliant idea. :-)

I will try to find out where we are planning to go and let you know.
Because we're students of English Language & Culture and as such speaking anything but English is sacrilege. :P Also, we have a fair number of international students who cannot speak Dutch, so they would get lost very quickly. The only time some Dutch is allowed is when studying Middle English, because it's rather similar to some Dutch words/pronounciations.

There was a big to do here a while ago because the government shut down some prostitution boats. (Yes, we have specially designated prostitution boats ... :P) The prostitutes were not pleased at all because they liked the boats as it enabled them to have their own space rather than moving around a lot.

I know right? Revolutionary. :P

Sounds good! I'm curious to hear it. :)