It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FearfulSymmetry: I can see your side of things, but especially here it's hard to shield yourself from that. You have to take into account that like 90% of the entertainment we consume here is in English as well. Movies? Mostly English. Music? Mostly English. TV-series? Most English. movies and TV-series get Dutch subtitles but we can't afford to dub them over (which is a practice I abhor anyway). Given that it's not strange that English has made its mark on our language. But if it's any consolation, we do still speak Dutch in our day-to-day life. ;)

Oops, I feel so terrible now. ;) Maybe we can find some extra-nice prostitutes who are willing to pretend?

*return silly hug*
i did not realise it would be as high as 90% of things. I figures at most 50/50. I guess it shows how out of touch I am at the moment with such things. :-)

No, it's okay. Who wants fake romance with prostitutes. :-)

*even sillier hug*

AgentBirdnest: I haven't seen many movies lately either. But it doesn't seem like it's changed much. About 5 years after 9/11, a movie called Cloverfield came out that features the Statue of Liberty being destroyed :-p It's still a pretty common practice, for both US and foreign landmarks. The Golden Gate Bridge seems to fall down about once a year lately :-p
I've always thought it was so silly. I watched Armageddon recently. It's amazing how the asteroids know to hit New York (specifically the World Trade Center), Paris, and Shanghai :-p

Ha right, those darn Moomins! Don't be fooled by the cuteness. They are evil >:-|
I see, as I said I am not really up on it all, I was just basing it on the little I have seen. I did notice on Command and Conquer that on the Red Alert 2 game you could destroy many American landmarks, including the White House, yet on Command and Conquer 3 you could not destroy the White House, but you could destroy London landmarks.

Luckily most of them are kept secure in Moomin valley. But every so often one escapes and writes horrible books about vampires. :-)
FearfulSymmetry: Agreed ... Shame society tends to look down on those who don't shower. ;) But I do really miss those nice hot showers. Hopefully I'll be able to take them again sometime next week or so. I tend to take super hot showers as well, I guess it's just a personal preference. :P

I don't know, I think lukewarm is a weird word as well. Not sure about its origins though, maybe it makes sense in some way? In Dutch we call it 'lauw'. :)
Sometimes I like to take ice-cold showers in the winter, just to mix things up :-) It can actually be pretty helpful if I'm in certain moods. A nice little freezing cold "shock" that makes my brain reboot. I'm also insane though :-)

Well, anytime I heard the name "Luke", I always think of Star Wars. So when I hear "Lukewarm" I imagine Luke stranded out in the snow and using Tauntaun guts to stay warm. Maybe that is what it means :-p
Random quote I found while reading through some of my old theology notes:

"One thing I do know, and that is, that neither hope, nor fear, belief, nor denial, can change the fact. It is as it is, and it will be as it must be.

We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know. We can tell the truth, and we can enjoy the blessed freedom that the brave have won. We can destroy the monsters of superstition, the hissing snakes of ignorance and fear. We can drive from our minds the frightful things that tear and wound with beak and fang. We can civilise our fellow-men. We can fill our lives with generous deeds, with loving words, with art and song, and all the ecstasies of love. We can flood our years with sunshine — with the divine climate of kindness, and we can drain to the last drop the golden cup of joy.”
Post edited February 10, 2016 by ddickinson
ddickinson: i did not realise it would be as high as 90% of things. I figures at most 50/50. I guess it shows how out of touch I am at the moment with such things. :-)

No, it's okay. Who wants fake romance with prostitutes. :-)

*even sillier hug*
Maybe that estimate is a little high, but there's definitely more English stuff than Dutch, especially on the TV/movie front. Over here we just don't have the budget to produce as many of those, and they don't tend to be as popular either.

Better have a real romance. :P
ddickinson: I see, as I said I am not really up on it all, I was just basing it on the little I have seen. I did notice on Command and Conquer that on the Red Alert 2 game you could destroy many American landmarks, including the White House, yet on Command and Conquer 3 you could not destroy the White House, but you could destroy London landmarks.

Luckily most of them are kept secure in Moomin valley. But every so often one escapes and writes horrible books about vampires. :-)
Red Alert 2 had a lot of landmarks... I remember destroying the Pentagon in the first few levels, using the Eiffel Tower as a giant Tesla coil, and many more. It certainly didn't disappoint if you were looking for something silly and cheesy :-p
I think C&C 3 also featured the Pentagon, but it could only be protected, not destroyed. I could be wrong though, it's been a long time since I played it.
ddickinson: I see, as I said I am not really up on it all, I was just basing it on the little I have seen. I did notice on Command and Conquer that on the Red Alert 2 game you could destroy many American landmarks, including the White House, yet on Command and Conquer 3 you could not destroy the White House, but you could destroy London landmarks.

AgentBirdnest: Red Alert 2 had a lot of landmarks... I remember destroying the Pentagon in the first few levels, using the Eiffel Tower as a giant Tesla coil, and many more. It certainly didn't disappoint if you were looking for something silly and cheesy :-p
I think C&C 3 also featured the Pentagon, but it could only be protected, not destroyed. I could be wrong though, it's been a long time since I played it.
Best part of the game for me was the parody Arnold Schwarzenegger character gunning down communists with a mini-gun!
AgentBirdnest: Sometimes I like to take ice-cold showers in the winter, just to mix things up :-) It can actually be pretty helpful if I'm in certain moods. A nice little freezing cold "shock" that makes my brain reboot. I'm also insane though :-)

Well, anytime I heard the name "Luke", I always think of Star Wars. So when I hear "Lukewarm" I imagine Luke stranded out in the snow and using Tauntaun guts to stay warm. Maybe that is what it means :-p
A short freezing cold shock is pretty okay, but washing my hair is a long process, and so whenever I have to do that these past few days I've been chilled to the bone. :P

Hahahaha yes. Excellent association, I approve. :P

Well, I did some googling, and apparently 'luke' comes from Middle English 'lew' and Old English 'hlēow'. 'Lew' is pretty close to Dutch 'lauw'. Don't know when it t urned into 'luke', though. :P
AgentBirdnest: Red Alert 2 had a lot of landmarks... I remember destroying the Pentagon in the first few levels, using the Eiffel Tower as a giant Tesla coil, and many more. It certainly didn't disappoint if you were looking for something silly and cheesy :-p
Oh my, good times. It's been ages since I played Red Alert 2 ...
Post edited February 10, 2016 by FearfulSymmetry
Qz501: Best part of the game for me was the parody Arnold Schwarzenegger character gunning down communists with a mini-gun!
You mean Arnnie Frankenfurter, along with Flint Westwood and Sammy Stallion? :-)
But in the first patch for the game, their names and some of their dialogue were removed :-(
FearfulSymmetry: Maybe that estimate is a little high, but there's definitely more English stuff than Dutch, especially on the TV/movie front. Over here we just don't have the budget to produce as many of those, and they don't tend to be as popular either.

Better have a real romance. :P
I can see how that would be a problem in this day and age.

I have, I have had one since I was in college with the most wonderful woman on earth. :-)

*big silly hug*

You can destroy the Trade Centres as well on Red Alert 2. It seemed that they allowed you to destroy any building really, which was fun. Some of the buildings had a nice crumbling animation. You also destroy Russian monuments and buildings towards the end.

You do defend it. But you never get to be the one attacking or destroying it. It seems they made sure no US landmark would be destroyable.
Qz501: Best part of the game for me was the parody Arnold Schwarzenegger character gunning down communists with a mini-gun!
AgentBirdnest: You mean Arnnie Frankenfurter, along with Flint Westwood and Sammy Stallion? :-)
But in the first patch for the game, their names and some of their dialogue were removed :-(
I hated that! When I was growing up that made me furious replaying those levels!
AgentBirdnest: You mean Arnnie Frankenfurter, along with Flint Westwood and Sammy Stallion? :-)
I think my version still has those names, and the dialogues. But I can't be too sure.
FearfulSymmetry: A short freezing cold shock is pretty okay, but washing my hair is a long process, and so whenever I have to do that these past few days I've been chilled to the bone. :P

Hahahaha yes. Excellent association, I approve. :P

Well, I did some googling, and apparently 'luke' comes from Middle English 'lew' and Old English 'hlēow'. 'Lew' is pretty close to Dutch 'lauw'. Don't know when it t urned into 'luke', though. :P
Ha, right. Ridiculously long hair. I don't know how your girls do it. It's already uncomfortable when my hair gets beyond about 5cm :-p

Well, maybe it isn't "lukewarm", but "lew-kwarm" instead. Maybe we need to oogle "kwarm" and see where that comes from :-p
ddickinson: You can destroy the Trade Centres as well on Red Alert 2. It seemed that they allowed you to destroy any building really, which was fun. Some of the buildings had a nice crumbling animation. You also destroy Russian monuments and buildings towards the end.

You do defend it. But you never get to be the one attacking or destroying it. It seems they made sure no US landmark would be destroyable.
Yeah, I remember that now! I don't think it was an objective to capture or destroy the World Trade Center, but it could be garrisoned or destroyed. I think they were at the very top of the map, so only the bottoms of the towers were showing... because I guess it would be kinda difficult to include the full towers without poking the camera ;-)
And let's not forget the Space Needle in Seattle that let you see the entire map when you garrisoned it. I think it was the same level where you had to save the MassiveSoft CEO :-)
Good memories indeed...
Post edited February 10, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
AgentBirdnest: Yeah, I remember that now! I don't think it was an objective to capture or destroy the World Trade Center, but it could be garrisoned or destroyed. I think they were at the very top of the map, so only the bottoms of the towers were showing... because I guess it would be kinda difficult to include the full towers without poking the camera ;-)
And let's not forget the Space Needle in Seattle that let you see the entire map when you garrisoned it. I think it was the same level where you had to save the MassiveSoft CEO :-)
Good memories indeed...
I think it was just a bit of fun, although in hindsight not the most appropriate. I liked that you could destroy everything, it added to the crazy fun feel Red Alert 2 had.

I think it is the same lever where you see MassiveSoft. Who in no way is supposed to be Bill Gates. :-)
Sadly games we will likely never see on here.
ddickinson: And Tom, sorry to hear you are not having the best of times with your health and the weather. Hopefully you can keep wrapped up warm while working from home, and I am sure Owl left some frog and snail soup somewhere around here that will make you feel better in no time.

*hugs, waves, and funny looks*
*disinfecting* *big hugs*

Actually I'm in for frogs and snails soup, as long as it's hot *shivering*
toxicTom: *disinfecting* *big hugs*

Actually I'm in for frogs and snails soup, as long as it's hot *shivering*
Ewwww. You must be hallucinating if you would eat that. :-)

*gives Tom some of Agent's spare blankets to keep him from shivering*

*big get well soon hug*