It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ddickinson: I guess with it being quite a controversial war not many developers were keen to cover it due to it possibly not selling well. As much as I love a good old FPS, I will have to pass on today's release, but it is nice to see an older release.

Nope, we have to keep doing this until NOLF gets here. Besides, if we do this long enough we will have hit your head enough times to make your hair fall out, so then we can rub your head in between dropping you. :-)
True. WW2 isn't typically seen as controversial, like all of the US wars have been since then. And all the wars before that are usually seen as "not fun" for an FPS, I guess due to lack of portable automatic weapons and rocket launchers (it makes sense, but I thought Darkest of Days did a decent job with WW1 and the American Civil War.)

Ha... but I refuse to take my hat off. I'm too cold today *shiver*... So you still won't get to rub my bald head :-p
That moment when you realise you actually prefer music to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNibz1BpYA]this music.

Where did we go wrong? :D
ddickinson:
Honestly? At this point, turning Duke into a straight-up Call of Duty versus aliens game would be an improvement.

No, I hadn't seen that. The game looks interesting, but that box art is really, really bad. Very boring, no action to it whatsoever. Just the attempted invoking of nostalgia by giving the generic space marine the antiquated but iconic shotgun.

Agreed. Complicated tends to turn things into messes. Too much crap, too much stress, too much everything.

-laughs- It's increased perceived value as a means of sanity defense, an internal mechanism to keep people from realizing just how meaningless so much of it is, that they're largely throwing their lives away for nothing.
FearfulSymmetry: Ow. I really broke myself today. :| My sort-of ill is now full-blown miserable. *hides under blanket*
:'-(
*throws a dozen more blankets onto the poor Ms Metry*
That sucks... I'm really sorry to hear it. Keep hanging in there, Fearful. I hope you'll start feeling better really soon. (Owl will kill you if you don't :-p) In the meantime, if there is any way to cheer you up while you are feeling down (or anytime, really, not just when you are down), you know where I am.
*extra huge healing and comforting hugs*
Post edited February 09, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
ddickinson: *super big comforting hug*

Sorry to hear you are not feeling too well. What with everything you have on this is the last thing you needed. I wish there was something I could do to help, but sadly all I can do is offer lots of hugs and wishes that you get well soon.

*more big get well soon hugs*
*big thank you hug*

Yeah, the runny nose and the loud sneezes do not go well with my still-tender nose. :| Thanks for your sympathy, I appreciate it.

How are you doing yourself?
AgentBirdnest: :'-(
*throws a dozen more blankets onto the poor Ms Metry*
That sucks... I'm really sorry to hear it. Keep hanging in there, Fearful. I hope you'll start feeling better really soon. (Owl will kill you if you don't :-p) In the meantime, if there is any way to cheer you up while you are feeling down (or anytime, really, not just when you are down), you know where I am.
*extra huge healing and comforting hugs*
*huge thank you hug*

Thanks, Agent. Afraid there's not much to do but sit this one out and hope things get a bit better soon. I'm not sure how many more sneezes my stitches can take. :P How are you doing yourself?

At least the positive news is that my internship school seems to be very nice. My coach is very enthusiastic and friendly.
Post edited February 09, 2016 by FearfulSymmetry
Just a quick message to say hello... I hope you're all doing good ! :)
I'll read you later, I'm away for the moment... take care !! **big hugs**
AgentBirdnest: True. WW2 isn't typically seen as controversial, like all of the US wars have been since then. And all the wars before that are usually seen as "not fun" for an FPS, I guess due to lack of portable automatic weapons and rocket launchers (it makes sense, but I thought Darkest of Days did a decent job with WW1 and the American Civil War.)

Ha... but I refuse to take my hat off. I'm too cold today *shiver*... So you still won't get to rub my bald head :-p
*snatches Agent's hat just before he is thrown from the window again.*

We will see that bald head, whether you like it or not. We need that luck to get NOLF here, so don't be selfish. :-)

CarrionCrow: Honestly? At this point, turning Duke into a straight-up Call of Duty versus aliens game would be an improvement.

No, I hadn't seen that. The game looks interesting, but that box art is really, really bad. Very boring, no action to it whatsoever. Just the attempted invoking of nostalgia by giving the generic space marine the antiquated but iconic shotgun.

Agreed. Complicated tends to turn things into messes. Too much crap, too much stress, too much everything.

-laughs- It's increased perceived value as a means of sanity defense, an internal mechanism to keep people from realizing just how meaningless so much of it is, that they're largely throwing their lives away for nothing.
I am sure it would be given the last incarnation. But still, I think we have enough mindless FPS games as it is. At least the older games had some depth and originality.

I only ever played the older games, but the guy on the cover does not remind me of the old Doom heroes. Is it based on the third game perhaps?

Sadly that seems to be true, but to some extent people are not to blame, it is the world we live in. The media does its best to instil such silly notions on people, all in the name of capitalism and for the purpose of making the rich richer.

FearfulSymmetry: *big thank you hug*

Yeah, the runny nose and the loud sneezes do not go well with my still-tender nose. :| Thanks for your sympathy, I appreciate it.

How are you doing yourself?
I imagine that would be quite bad. How are you doing after your surgery, is everything healing as it should?

I am doing good, thank you. I finally got some good results a few days ago that put me out of the danger zone with my health, meaning I should not really be at risk of any fatal setbacks again. I still have some way to go, but it seems things are finally starting to look up.

*even more big comforting hugs with lots of get well soon wishes*

Empress_Owl: Just a quick message to say hello... I hope you're all doing good ! :)
*big epic hugs for Owl as she quickly passes thought while hopefully having a lovely holiday*
Post edited February 09, 2016 by ddickinson
ddickinson: I imagine that would be quite bad. How are you doing after your surgery, is everything healing as it should?

I am doing good, thank you. I finally got some good results a few days ago that put me out of the danger zone with my health, meaning I should not really be at risk of any fatal setbacks again. I still have some way to go, but it seems things are finally starting to look up.

*even more big comforting hugs with lots of get well soon wishes*
Seems to be going okay, although it's kind of hard to tell with the cold now. :P My nose is still quite tender and my stitches are a bit annoying. And sneezing too hard hurts. :P I still get tired easily as well.

Oh wow, that's really good news! *big happy hug* I'm super glad to hear you're finally out of the danger zone. Hopefully things will improve even more soon!

*mega thank you hug*
FearfulSymmetry: *huge thank you hug*

Thanks, Agent. Afraid there's not much to do but sit this one out and hope things get a bit better soon. I'm not sure how many more sneezes my stitches can take. :P How are you doing yourself?

At least the positive news is that my internship school seems to be very nice. My coach is very enthusiastic and friendly.
Hm... We need to get you some Hibernol. I think it might be the best idea for you ):-\
I'm doing okay, but seriously freaking cold (due to medication). I'm wearing two pairs of thick wool socks, and my favourite hat and mittens, and I'm still shaking. It's not even cold here. A comfortable 13ºC outside, and a way-too-warm 22º in the house. I keep my fingers crossed that this body temperature bullsh*t will blow over soon. Otherwise, I'm quite good, and as DD the stalker can tell you, I've been enjoying Shadowrun Dragonfall too much today :-p

Glad to hear about the school! Hopefully it turns out as nice, or even better than it seems :-)
*moar epic healing hugs*
FearfulSymmetry: Seems to be going okay, although it's kind of hard to tell with the cold now. :P My nose is still quite tender and my stitches are a bit annoying. And sneezing too hard hurts. :P I still get tired easily as well.

Oh wow, that's really good news! *big happy hug* I'm super glad to hear you're finally out of the danger zone. Hopefully things will improve even more soon!

*mega thank you hug*
Definitely not a good time to catch a cold. Are you at least getting over the cold, or is it just getting started? It is bound to take some time to get you back to being good as new, you just try to take it easy, which I know is not always a simple thing, but just try to take care of yourself.

Thank you. It has been a big weight of my mind, and hopefully now things can just start getting better and I can have a good year this year for a change.

*big return hug*
Empress_Owl: Just a quick message to say hello... I hope you're all doing good ! :)
**Big woolly hug** I hope you are taking care of yourself, Empress! Have a good day!
ddickinson: *snatches Agent's hat just before he is thrown from the window again.*

We will see that bald head, whether you like it or not. We need that luck to get NOLF here, so don't be selfish. :-)
Ugh, fine... But be quick about it! ):-|

... My hair will grow back, right? :-o I've noticed it getting a bit thinner over the last year ò__ó
AgentBirdnest: Hm... We need to get you some Hibernol. I think it might be the best idea for you ):-\
I'm doing okay, but seriously freaking cold (due to medication). I'm wearing two pairs of thick wool socks, and my favourite hat and mittens, and I'm still shaking. It's not even cold here. A comfortable 13ºC outside, and a way-too-warm 22º in the house. I keep my fingers crossed that this body temperature bullsh*t will blow over soon. Otherwise, I'm quite good, and as DD the stalker can tell you, I've been enjoying Shadowrun Dragonfall too much today :-p

Glad to hear about the school! Hopefully it turns out as nice, or even better than it seems :-)
*moar epic healing hugs*
Haha that seems excellent. :P Ow, that's really not fun! You're right about piling on all the clothing you can. Hopefully you'll get warm soon. :(

Our heating system broke today and it's only just been fixed so it's super cold here as well. Brrrr.

Nice, Dragonfall is an excellent game. I should replay that one soon. :) Good to hear you're enjoying it.
*big hug* :)

ddickinson: Definitely not a good time to catch a cold. Are you at least getting over the cold, or is it just getting started? It is bound to take some time to get you back to being good as new, you just try to take it easy, which I know is not always a simple thing, but just try to take care of yourself.

Thank you. It has been a big weight of my mind, and hopefully now things can just start getting better and I can have a good year this year for a change.

*big return hug*
I thought I was getting over it, but I guess I pushed myself too far and made things worse again. Oops. :P Unfortunately my internship related stuff is so important I just can't miss it, so I keep doing too much.

Definitely! I'm super glad for you. Here's to hoping this year will be a great one. :)

*more hugs*
Post edited February 09, 2016 by FearfulSymmetry
AgentBirdnest: Ugh, fine... But be quick about it! ):-|

... My hair will grow back, right? :-o I've noticed it getting a bit thinner over the last year ò__ó
Erm... Maybe? o_O
In fact no, it won't grow back. But I will give you your hat back if we get a few good old games. So it's not all bad. :-)

FearfulSymmetry: I thought I was getting over it, but I guess I pushed myself too far and made things worse again. Oops. :P Unfortunately my internship related stuff is so important I just can't miss it, so I keep doing too much.

Definitely! I'm super glad for you. Here's to hoping this year will be a great one. :)

*more hugs*
I know how that is, I have done that to myself a few times over the last few months. It is hard sometimes to not push ourselves when we have things we would like to do. Hopefully you will start to fell much better soon, especially with all your important things that need doing. Shall I untie Agent and let him come burn things to see if that helps? :-)

Thank you. I think it should be, which should not be hard given last year.

*bigger hug*
FearfulSymmetry: Haha that seems excellent. :P Ow, that's really not fun! You're right about piling on all the clothing you can. Hopefully you'll get warm soon. :(

Our heating system broke today and it's only just been fixed so it's super cold here as well. Brrrr.

Nice, Dragonfall is an excellent game. I should replay that one soon. :) Good to hear you're enjoying it.
Well, at least it gives me a really good occasion to wear the mitts and hat. I'll take any reason I can get, because they are too comfortable, and lovely as pluck :-)

So... 2nd nose surgery because the first one failed, during an already super-busy time, then you get the flu while trying to recover. And while having the flu, the heating breaks? :-| We need a badge for you...
Vnlr: That moment when you realise you actually prefer music to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNibz1BpYA]this music.

Where did we go wrong? :D
Both are quite nice, but I think I tend to prefer Mozart.

AgentBirdnest: ...
Pssst. It is called Sod's Law. Silly Americans using silly names. Who the hell is Murphy anyway? The guy from Robocop? :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod%27s_law