It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

moonshineshadow: It is never empty here, we just enjoyed the silence :P
*big hug*
Oh i see, I guess I should just go sit in the corner then and be quiet like everyone else...

*sits quietly in the corner and looks at the others who are sitting there looking just as bored.* :-)

*big silly hug*

Soccorro: *raises white flag out of crushed bin*
*watches as the refuge collector picks up the bin and throws it into the back of the truck, ready to take to the incinerator*
Post edited February 09, 2016 by ddickinson
ddickinson: Awwww, poor Jiminy. :-)

Good morning, Mr Crow! Did you have a good sleep?

I am doing okay, a few things causing some problems, but nothing too bad. I am just taking a break from writing an academic paper I have been asked to possibly present to a conference at sometime later in the year if I am up to it, if not I will just send the paper and someone else will present it. I don't think I am really up to it at the moment, what with my mind still a bit of a mess, but there is no rush to finish it, and I get to feel like I am doing something productive.
Now I'm thinking of Disney movies...-hits the cricket a few more times on general principle-

Yes, I did, thank you. =) Finally beat Duke Nukem Forever, after that experience I didn't have much will to do anything but pass out and try to forget.
(Highlight of that time spent - a side character with all the charm and personality of a pile of dog vomit dies, at which point Duke says, "Well, I guess they won't be in the sequel."
I almost cracked at that point, immediately screaming, "Sequel!? SEQUEL!?!?!?!")

That's very cool. Whether you present it yourself or not, your expertise was specifically requested.
CarrionCrow: Now I'm thinking of Disney movies...-hits the cricket a few more times on general principle-

Yes, I did, thank you. =) Finally beat Duke Nukem Forever, after that experience I didn't have much will to do anything but pass out and try to forget.
(Highlight of that time spent - a side character with all the charm and personality of a pile of dog vomit dies, at which point Duke says, "Well, I guess they won't be in the sequel."
I almost cracked at that point, immediately screaming, "Sequel!? SEQUEL!?!?!?!")

That's very cool. Whether you present it yourself or not, your expertise was specifically requested.
Good point. I don't remember if the cricket had a name in the original story, so I went with the one people would most likely know.

Is that the Duke Nukem that took ages to be released and it was just a mess and just a shadow of how Duke 3D was?

It is nice to do. I have been offered some work a few times back in my academic field. While I sadly had to put a stop to my doctorate due to me being attacked and some other family things I was still very close to getting a first grade doctorate, so some of my former class mates and lectures have offered me work from time to time. I do have a few offers of fill time work as an historian (providing I finish my doctorate, which I can do while working and which they would pay for), which I would love, but I am not sure if that kind of thing is for me anymore, at least not full time. Not that it would not be great, history is one of my biggest passions, but I think I have changed someone since I had to abandon that career path. I think I prefer working outdoors more and just enjoying my life in a quiet rural area in the English countryside with my wonderful wife. I guess I am just a simple farm girl at heart. Which I am totally fine with.
*Leaves some special bread for Moon the quiet lurker*

http://pre15.deviantart.net/3d89/th/pre/i/2013/199/9/7/panda_bread_by_skythewolfdog9-d6e2tbx.jpg
ddickinson:
Works for me. Makes the thought of hitting it that much better.

That's the one. Haven't cleared 3D, which is probably for the best. It would've been worse seeing the full extent to which they wrecked the series. I just know that if I'd paid full price for that game, I would've been very, very upset.

So long as you're happy overall with the place you're at now. You can do both, have the life you prefer while still loving what you studied initially and getting involved on an academic level to whatever degree you want when you feel like it.
The level of self-awareness you have on the subject is commendable. Some people would try to force themselves back in whether it was still the right thing to do overall or not.
Post edited February 09, 2016 by CarrionCrow
CarrionCrow: Works for me. Makes the thought of hitting it that much better.

That's the one. Haven't cleared 3D, which is probably for the best. It would've been worse seeing the full extent to which they wrecked the series. I just know that if I'd paid full price for that game, I would've been very, very upset.

So long as you're happy overall with the place you're at now. You can do both, have the life you prefer while still loving what you studied initially and getting involved on an academic level to whatever degree you want when you feel like it.
The level of self-awareness you have on the subject is commendable. Some people would try to force themselves back in whether it was still the right thing to do overall or not.
I really used to love Duke 3D, there were so many hidden places and even full alternative paths that could skip some of the level. For its age I thought it was very good. I saw a picture comparing the map design of 3D and Duke Forever, which kind of highlights how stripped down creatively modern gaming is.

I am indeed quite happy with things, not the health issues and things, but you know what I mean. :-)
It is tempted to go into the field that I worked hard for for so long, but I just don't think that is for me anymore, at least not as a full time professional job. As I said, I am just a simple girl at heart, I have my wonderful and loving wife, a beautiful home, and a job I really love, so what else could I want. I guess I could want a bigger career with a lot more money, but I don't need that. I have what I need already, in fact I have had what I need in my life for a long time now. Anything else is just icing on the cake. :-)
(Sorry for rambling and probably sounding silly, as I said my head is all over the place at the moment due to my health and some other things. So feel free just to ignore me. :-))
ddickinson: *Leaves some special bread for Moon the quiet lurker*

http://pre15.deviantart.net/3d89/th/pre/i/2013/199/9/7/panda_bread_by_skythewolfdog9-d6e2tbx.jpg
*sneaks up to the bread basket and steals one of the special breads*

Panda! <3 *happy sigh*
Yezemin: *sneaks up to the bread basket and steals one of the special breads*

Panda! <3 *happy sigh*
Help yourself, just make sure you save some for Moonshine. She will be mad if everyone eats all the Panda bread before she get here. :-)

*panda hug*
Hallo everybody!

Doing fine I hope? *many many tight cuddly hugs*

And if not, you have my best wishes for getting well soon!

I've been having a relaxed weekend/monday so far; Yesterday I watched "Snatch" with my younger brother, to much mutual amusement. We've somehow crammed over 20 hours of D&D into Friday-Sunday, and currently I just finished a few missions of sudden strike.

We've been having gales and bouts of deluges here for the past days; no bicycling for now unfortunately.
Merry Afternoons!
And the year of fire monkey is here! :)
Now I want to play monkey island... well the missing third one at least...
There seems to be pleasant chatting happening, that's nice ;)
*admires the panda bread*
ddickinson: *Leaves some special bread for Moon the quiet lurker*

Awww *big thank you hug*
Vnlr: Hallo everybody!

Doing fine I hope? *many many tight cuddly hugs*

And if not, you have my best wishes for getting well soon!

I've been having a relaxed weekend/monday so far; Yesterday I watched "Snatch" with my younger brother, to much mutual amusement. We've somehow crammed over 20 hours of D&D into Friday-Sunday, and currently I just finished a few missions of sudden strike.

We've been having gales and bouts of deluges here for the past days; no bicycling for now unfortunately.
Hello!

Glad to hear you have had a nice relaxing weekend. Twenty hours of D&D sounds impressive. I have never played D&D, but I know it is quite popular with many on the forum. Are you due to be getting any nice weather soon? I know we are still getting bad weather due to storms, which I guess is also what is causing the winds and rain for you as well.

Oh, and I remembered where my parents will be visiting in Belgium, and it is a place called Ostend.
Yezemin: *sneaks up to the bread basket and steals one of the special breads*

Panda! <3 *happy sigh*
ddickinson: Help yourself, just make sure you save some for Moonshine. She will be mad if everyone eats all the Panda bread before she get here. :-)

*panda hug*
*return hug*

Looks like I left enough for moon *phew* Whenever I see a panda I can't help myself.
superstande: Merry Afternoons!
And the year of fire monkey is here! :)
Now I want to play monkey island... well the missing third one at least...
There seems to be pleasant chatting happening, that's nice ;)
*admires the panda bread*
Fire Monkeys!? Did someone let Agent loose in the monkey section of the zoo? o_O

You are welcome to take some of the Panda bread. :-)

moonshineshadow: Awww *big thank you hug*
You can't beat cute bread. :-)

I think I will try to get a recipe for them and try to make them myself sometime. I will have a look this evening and see if I can find out more.

Yezemin: *return hug*

Looks like I left enough for moon *phew* Whenever I see a panda I can't help myself.
Well they are not as cute as the best kind of panda, but black and white pandas are still cute.

Oh, and the best panda is of course the Red Panda. :-)

http://www.furrytalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2.jpg
ddickinson:
I've heard a lot of good things about 3D. That just makes it all worse. Also, I actually did read that the head of Gearbox is thinking of doing sequels, so it's now even more apparent that he lives in a state of perpetual psychotic break at all times.

Nothing wrong with simplicity. If anything, it's something to aspire to. You know what matters to you most, and you have it. I'm happy for you. =)