It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AgentBirdnest: Hm... I dunno. I'd say the combat sections are around 10-15 minutes? Maybe someone else can confirm. I'm awful at telling the time :-p The in-between "exploration" areas usually take a bit more time, but you can save anytime during those.

Both. 1) The longest for a single playthrough of a singleplayer campaign, and 2) The most time you have spent on a game including replays, multiplayer mod, skirmishes, etc. :-)
For me, 1) would be Fallout: New Vegas. One playthrough (including the DLC) took about 150 hours for me. 2) Would probably be Deus Ex, which I estimate that I've played about a thousand hours since 2003 :-p
Thank you. I think I will give the RPGs pass for now. I have been mainly sticking to games I can play with my partner so when I have had enough I can watch her play the game.

I am not really sure (I don't record the hours). Erm... Longest single player campaign... Probably a RTS game perhaps, some of those can be quite long, so maybe StarCraft, or C&C? As for the longest spent on a game, again I am not really sure. There are none I have spent too long on, but I did play Medieval 2 Total War quite a lot, due to me having fun modding the game in different ways, but I am not sure if that is the longest. I will have a better thing and let you know.

*big thinking hug*
ddickinson: I am not really sure (I don't record the hours). Erm... Longest single player campaign... Probably a RTS game perhaps, some of those can be quite long, so maybe StarCraft, or C&C? As for the longest spent on a game, again I am not really sure. There are none I have spent too long on, but I did play Medieval 2 Total War quite a lot, due to me having fun modding the game in different ways, but I am not sure if that is the longest. I will have a better thing and let you know.

*big thinking hug*
RTS games can be really long... especially depending on how you play. I often take a really long time to build huge bases and armies. My battles can take hours. I don't like rushing things. I'm a turtle :-)
Modding Total War? Do you mean using mods, or did you create any of your own?

*big random hug*
Post edited February 09, 2016 by AgentBirdnest
AgentBirdnest: RTS games can be really long... especially depending on how you play. I often take a really long time to build huge bases and armies. My battles can take hours. I don't like rushing things. I'm a turtle :-)
Modding Total War? Do you mean using mods, or did you create any of your own?

*big random hug*
I like to turtle as well. But only when the game has good AI. Sadly many games the enemy just sits there and offers little thread. I prefer it when they keep attacking and they destroy half my base and I then struggle to get everything back and improved before the next assault. Then once I am all set I take the war to them. But that depends on the game and my mood.

I never really used anyone else's mod, I tended to just make little changes myself. Nothing too big, just little bits here and there that added to the replayability for me. It was the last Total War game I bought as they kept getting too broken and then cut up into tiny pieces for DLC, and of course, they use DRM now.

*big non-random hug*
ddickinson: I like to turtle as well. But only when the game has good AI. Sadly many games the enemy just sits there and offers little thread. I prefer it when they keep attacking and they destroy half my base and I then struggle to get everything back and improved before the next assault. Then once I am all set I take the war to them. But that depends on the game and my mood.

I never really used anyone else's mod, I tended to just make little changes myself. Nothing too big, just little bits here and there that added to the replayability for me. It was the last Total War game I bought as they kept getting too broken and then cut up into tiny pieces for DLC, and of course, they use DRM now.

*big non-random hug*
I like to play against multiple AI opponents in skirmish mode (depending on the game.) I'd try to hold off against three armies attacking me from each side in some of the middle C&C games. Let all my units become veterans, and then attack :-)

I did a bit of modding with Tiberian Sun. Nothing too big, and I only shared one or two maps that I made. Mostly just for myself to make the game fit my playstyle a little better. Good times... *suddenly having an urge to try it again* ...

*big mod-genius hug*
AgentBirdnest: I like to play against multiple AI opponents in skirmish mode (depending on the game.) I'd try to hold off against three armies attacking me from each side in some of the middle C&C games. Let all my units become veterans, and then attack :-)

I did a bit of modding with Tiberian Sun. Nothing too big, and I only shared one or two maps that I made. Mostly just for myself to make the game fit my playstyle a little better. Good times... *suddenly having an urge to try it again* ...

*big mod-genius hug*
The first Dawn of War games had a nice skirmish mode, they would attack constantly, but sometimes that just stopped and they kept to their base. I prefer a few opponents as well, makes it more fun. :-)

I remember the map editors with the original few C&C games, they were a lot of fun. I think the longest time I spend on map editors was in StarCraft, and maybe Age of Empires 2.

*also wants to get my discs and reinstall all those classic games*

*big nostalgic hug*
Post edited February 09, 2016 by ddickinson
ddickinson: The first Dawn of War games had a nice skirmish mode, they would attack constantly, but sometimes that just stopped and they kept to their base. I prefer a few opponents as well, makes it more fun. :-)

I remember the map editors with the original few C&C games, they were a lot of fun. I think the longest time I spend on map editors was in StarCraft, and maybe Age of Empires 2.

*also wants to get my discs and reinstall all those classic games*

*big nostalgic hug*
I've got the first DoW game in my hot water vapour library... I've only played a half hour or so to see if it worked, and that was years ago. *reinstalling* :-p
I remember playing a Lord of the Rings game, "Battle for Middle Earth" that I particularly liked skirmishing in. The AI was relentless - constantly attacking my base, with no breaks. It was quite difficult, but in a good way. It was a good game; developed by some of the same people who made the early-mid C&C games.

*big strategic hug*
AgentBirdnest: I've got the first DoW game in my hot water vapour library... I've only played a half hour or so to see if it worked, and that was years ago. *reinstalling* :-p
I remember playing a Lord of the Rings game, "Battle for Middle Earth" that I particularly liked skirmishing in. The AI was relentless - constantly attacking my base, with no breaks. It was quite difficult, but in a good way. It was a good game; developed by some of the same people who made the early-mid C&C games.

*big strategic hug*
I thought the DoW games where not too bad, although with each expansion it got worse. It is not perfect, but quite fun. Although I have not played all of the expansions, I have not played the last one for the first game. But Crow says that is terrible, and I hear the game ruins the lore of 40K.

I have never played a Lord of the Rings game. I have seen a few, but never really go into them.

*big Ion Cannon hug*
ddickinson: I thought the DoW games where not too bad, although with each expansion it got worse. It is not perfect, but quite fun. Although I have not played all of the expansions, I have not played the last one for the first game. But Crow says that is terrible, and I hear the game ruins the lore of 40K.

I have never played a Lord of the Rings game. I have seen a few, but never really go into them.

*big Ion Cannon hug*
Yes, I've seen Crow's less-than-stellar words about that expansion :-) Well, looks like I won't be playing it, because my Steam account has decided that it doesn't want to download any of my games 9__9 ... Yet another reason to stick with GOG.

*big visceroid hug*
AgentBirdnest: Yes, I've seen Crow's less-than-stellar words about that expansion :-) Well, looks like I won't be playing it, because my Steam account has decided that it doesn't want to download any of my games 9__9 ... Yet another reason to stick with GOG.

*big visceroid hug*
Wanna borrow my DRM-Free disc copy? :-)

I think DoW is one of the better Warhammer 40K games. Some of the older ones (such as a few on GOG) where good, but many of the newer ones are just horrible cash ins on the licence.

*big yay for DRM-Free hug*
ddickinson: Wanna borrow my DRM-Free disc copy? :-)

I think DoW is one of the better Warhammer 40K games. Some of the older ones (such as a few on GOG) where good, but many of the newer ones are just horrible cash ins on the licence.

*big yay for DRM-Free hug*
Yeah, I'd love to :-)

Seems like about 91.6% of licensed games are horrible cash-ins. A few good ones pop up here and there (the Lord of the Rings one I mentioned was actually one of the better ones, in my opinion.) I guess it makes sense from a business view, but it really sucks.

*group hug with GOG*
AgentBirdnest: Yeah, I'd love to :-)

Seems like about 91.6% of licensed games are horrible cash-ins. A few good ones pop up here and there (the Lord of the Rings one I mentioned was actually one of the better ones, in my opinion.) I guess it makes sense from a business view, but it really sucks.

*group hug with GOG*
That is true, most just seem to be lazy games hoping to sell due to the name. I think many of the bad practices make sense from a corporate side of things, but sadly that does not make them good for the intelligent consumer.

*big hug*
ddickinson: That is true, most just seem to be lazy games hoping to sell due to the name. I think many of the bad practices make sense from a corporate side of things, but sadly that does not make them good for the intelligent consumer.

*big hug*
The Star Wars franchise has had quite a few good games. LucasArts seemed to have some quality standards. They weren't all great, but plenty of them were.

I'm getting quite tired. Better get horizontal before I fall asleep somewhere silly :-)
Nice talking to you, DD. Hope you have a good night!
*big goodnight hug*
AgentBirdnest: The Star Wars franchise has had quite a few good games. LucasArts seemed to have some quality standards. They weren't all great, but plenty of them were.

I'm getting quite tired. Better get horizontal before I fall asleep somewhere silly :-)
Nice talking to you, DD. Hope you have a good night!
*big goodnight hug*
Mainly the older ones, the newer ones seemed to get worse. LucasArts did tend to make good games, I guess they took some pride in their work.

Goodnight, Mr Agent! I am quite tired and should probably get some sleep, but for some reason I am not able to sleep. It has been lovely talking to you as well. Have a good night sleep.

*big goodnight hug*
Just stopping by to say "hello" to the lovely folks of the thread before I try to get a bit of sleep.

I hope you all have a beautiful night! (or whatever your time of day!)

Good morning, thread!

*sleepy hugs*

It's really hard getting back to work after a long weekend.