It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ddickinson: Maybe, but then we still get some games nicely optimised, which makes me think it is partly due to lazy or incompetent developers.

I am willing to bet that the AI in that game is not really groundbreaking, nor does it require such requirements. It sounds more like excuses for poor optimisation while of course throwing in the usual buzz words and trying to justify the high price of the game. I am not a fan of Kickstarter, or early access games. I could possibly back a Kickstarter if it was something I was passionate about and there was something already established (a working game that just needs a bit of polishing, for example). But I won't give my money to an idea. Too many developers just take the money and fail to deliver. So I will just wait until/if the final version comes out. Not that I have anything against those who do back such projects, like everything it is personal preference.

That is true. Yet indie developers were supposed to know better. They were supposed to be gamers at heart that hated the AAA tactics. Yet now most of them are just as underhanded and just as regularly deliver broken games or fail to meet what they promised. The worst part is this then makes it harder for decent indie developers to be seen, not just due to the saturation of the market but the reputation indie developers are getting.
Would say so on that as well. There are plenty of lazy and/or incompetent developers, you can see it in their "work".

Certainly not getting my hopes up on that. You can say whatever you want when the game's being developed. Doesn't mean a thing if there isn't the quality on release day to back it up.

People can thank Steam for that one. They've been letting people use their storefront to rip customers off for years, too busy counting the money to actually quality check any of it. And of course, thanks to that Steam is largely seen as a joke when it comes to keeping bad games, or broken games, or fragments of games that people are charging others to play, out.

Yes, the decent independents have to contend with both the "triple AAA" companies, and the scumbags who are using the indie title as a way to shield themselves from the responsibility of making really, really bad games.
Empress_Owl: yeah... I DO feel like a massive whiner :D haha
**actually smiling now** :-)
Well, you're not. Not by a long shot. So there. ;P

(Now idly wondering how an owl smiles...)
Post edited February 03, 2016 by CarrionCrow
HOLY...I should probably look into finally uninstalling some of the games I've beat, I'm down to 30 gigs of free hard drive space. Yeah...I'll totally get to it today...which totally isn't what I said when I was at 40 gigs and 60 gigs and...well you get the idea of what I totally did NOT do..heh...heh...heh...uh oh.
Good moaning.

I think I overdid it today, I woke up barely before 11.
But I also went to sleep at half past three, so one thing balances the other...

Whatevs... Roight!! 'ello 'ello, 'ello! Wot's all dis goin' on 'ere den?!
CarrionCrow: Well, you're not. Not by a long shot. So there. ;P

(Now idly wondering how an owl smiles...)
Like that :-p
Empress_Owl: (i don't see how a bible could kill you as well... even if I throw it with all my strength - and then again, I'd miss you anyway, because I'm so bad at targetting things)
Death from too much guilt :-p
Empress_Owl: (i don't see how a bible could kill you as well... even if I throw it with all my strength - and then again, I'd miss you anyway, because I'm so bad at targetting things)
AgentBirdnest: Death from too much guilt :-p
That only works on Mormons... we were talking about vampires :) ... As far as I know, there are not so many Mormon vampires....
CarrionCrow: Sounds downright charming...

Gotta love all the people who think California is some kind of utopia to aspire to living in, in between laughing at them for being some painfully naive bastards.
I've been once to California.
And with the power of hindsight I gotta say, obvious differences aside, I found it eerily familiar. Climate and language wise.
ddickinson: It just annoys me when you get a nice 3D game that works on, say 512MB graphics, but then you see a 2D game that looks like it is 20 years old that requires 1GB+ of graphics. So many games, especially the indie games, have specs that do not reflect the games look or gameplay. They blame it on the engine, but the fault is theirs mostly for lack of optimisation. We have an early access RTS game here that has recommended specs of 16GB of RAM and 4GB of Video RAM. For a RTS game.

I have nothing against this whole "retro" look in general, but 90% of them I feel do so just to be lazy and cut corners. And as you said, milk nostalgia. I am also tired of the amount of excuses they get to use, with so many people excusing the indie developers for underhanded methods and broken games. I don't care if a developer is AAA or indie, there should still be standards when you pay for a finished product.
Well back in the 90's it wasn't so much due to lack of optimization as the fact that Intel kept adding these new things to the processors making them capable of handling complex calculations they couldn't before. But back then it was more about the processor than anything else. RAM wasn't that much of an issue.

Nowadays it's mostly about having an overblown cpu, with a rocket up its ass and ten arms with a mop on each one with which to clean up the mess from the leaky programming.
Post edited February 03, 2016 by j0ekerr
NoNewTaleToTell: HOLY...I should probably look into finally uninstalling some of the games I've beat, I'm down to 30 gigs of free hard drive space. Yeah...I'll totally get to it today...which totally isn't what I said when I was at 40 gigs and 60 gigs and...well you get the idea of what I totally did NOT do..heh...heh...heh...uh oh.
Give it until March. You'll get around to it. (Or, ya know, you'll do what I've done and completely run out of space. One of the two.)
Empress_Owl: That only works on Mormons... we were talking about vampires :) ... As far as I know, there are not so many Mormon vampires....
Twilight was written by a Mormon... that's why none of the Vampires have sex before marriage :-)
(Not joking)
Empress_Owl: I knew you were a vampire... garlic doesn't kill vampire, it's only a repellent, like crosses and bibles (i don't see how a bible could kill you as well... even if I throw it with all my strength - and then again, I'd miss you anyway, because I'm so bad at targetting things)... so don't worry, nothing I could use could harm you. I'm not mean !... I'm just scared by kick-ass vampires. ,',',,'):-|
**Big silly hug with plenty of garlic and a bible**
But what if they are exposed to garlic for too long? And a giant bible could be fatal, like dropping an anvil on someones head. No need to be scared of lady vampires, it is the male ones you need to be careful of. :-)

*big silly hug*

CarrionCrow: Would say so on that as well. There are plenty of lazy and/or incompetent developers, you can see it in their "work".

Certainly not getting my hopes up on that. You can say whatever you want when the game's being developed. Doesn't mean a thing if there isn't the quality on release day to back it up.

People can thank Steam for that one. They've been letting people use their storefront to rip customers off for years, too busy counting the money to actually quality check any of it. And of course, thanks to that Steam is largely seen as a joke when it comes to keeping bad games, or broken games, or fragments of games that people are charging others to play, out.

Yes, the decent independents have to contend with both the "triple AAA" companies, and the scumbags who are using the indie title as a way to shield themselves from the responsibility of making really, really bad games.
That is true. Even AAA developers now are so lazy, releasing such broken messes despite the money they have backing the development. But at least we still get a nice gem now and then.

I was looking at the release thread for one of the in development games and it seems they have been vague many times about their game being fully released. Someone posted that their kickstarter estimated the delivery of a completed game on November 2014. Then the last news update on their website said it was coming to Steam March 17th. I do wonder how long this game will stay on early access. I have seen people say that some games have been on early access for over 8 years. I also wonder which of these in development games will be the first to just take the moment and run. Also, one of the games here is early access, but sells DLC to test early features - is that not what early access is for anyway?

Yes, let's blame Steam :-). But I know what you mean, people now have a bad opinion of indie developers, or early access and things due to some underhanded developers screwing them over. I tend to think that if Steam keeps letting horrible games on Steam, games that have made no effort or that are just clones or asset flips, then finding good games will become so hard and it could be that developers stop trying due to the amount of crapware.
Empress_Owl: That only works on Mormons... we were talking about vampires :) ... As far as I know, there are not so many Mormon vampires....
AgentBirdnest: Twilight was written by a Mormon... that's why none of the Vampires have sex before marriage :-)
(Not joking)
:-| ...
Now all is clear...
j0ekerr: Good moaning.

I think I overdid it today, I woke up barely before 11.
But I also went to sleep at half past three, so one thing balances the other...

Whatevs... Roight!! 'ello 'ello, 'ello! Wot's all dis goin' on 'ere den?!
Good afternoon.

Congratulations on getting through your exams in one piece. =)

I see you haven't been on the rental service in a couple days. Whenever you feel like it, I left a congratulatory gift for you. I hope you enjoy it.
ddickinson: But what if they are exposed to garlic for too long? And a giant bible could be fatal, like dropping an anvil on someones head. No need to be scared of lady vampires, it is the male ones you need to be careful of. :-)

*big silly hug*
... I don't know about the long-term effects of garlic exposure... I'll have a look. It's part of my job. :)
I'll try to find a repellent that only works on male vampires, then :)
**big silly hug back**

I have to leave for the moment... get things done here...
Behave ! :)
And have a nice day
**Big hugs all around**
Post edited February 03, 2016 by Empress_Owl
AgentBirdnest: Twilight was written by a Mormon... that's why none of the Vampires have sex before marriage :-)
(Not joking)
The scary thing is that I know you're not.
And I thought catholics had the monopoly on religious guilt.
I wouldn't know, I've been raised in blissful ignorance of catholic dogma. And if you think that's strange due to location, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
CarrionCrow: Good afternoon.

Congratulations on getting through your exams in one piece. =)

I see you haven't been on the rental service in a couple days. Whenever you feel like it, I left a congratulatory gift for you. I hope you enjoy it.
Oh dear I tremble with expectation, knees shaking like a 12 year old overweight redneck girl watching a Justin Bieber videoclip. And some fear too. Or as someone I knew would say, "got my knickers twisted up in a bunch!"
Let's see what horror lurks beyond the doorway.
Post edited February 03, 2016 by j0ekerr
Empress_Owl: ... I don't know about the long-term effects of garlic exposure... I'll have a look. It's part of my job. :)
I'll try to find a repellent that only works on male vampires, then :)
**big silly hug back**

I have to leave for the moment... get things done here...
Behave ! :)
And have a nice day
**Big hugs all around**
Your job? I knew it, you are an Owl Vampire hunter. Or.... are you a vampire Owl trying to just protect yourself? o_O

http://www.kidsfashionsbylinda.com/images/owlhalloweenvampire2.jpg

Have a lovely day at work. I hope things will not be too stressful for you. Take care, lovely Owl.

*big Vampire hug*

(Not joking)
You evil monsters... >:-|

*big silly hug*
Post edited February 03, 2016 by ddickinson