It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

*happy waves to everyone*
alright, going to the sewers for a bit again... eye of the beholder is quite interesting.
moonshineshadow: Only joking. Although I can deal with reading more now, my head is still all over the place and I can't really take in books too well at the moment. Because of this I have been sticking to mainly non-fiction or poetry. At the moment I am reading poetry by Andrew Marvell and Emily Dickinson as well as a bit of non-fiction on folklore, myths, and legends of England. I do have lots of lovely fiction books ready to read, but since I find it a struggle with those at the moment I will wait until I can appreciate them.
I can imagine that reading is rather straining for you. Books on folklore, myths, and legends? Any you can recommend? I'm currently reading on psychology but with the current book finished I'll probably be fed up with the topic for a while, and I haven't really decided yet what the next non-fiction reading will be.

moonshineshadow: How are you today? I hope your day is going as well as can be hoped?
I'll have to work a bit today since I skipped some hours on Friday that I have to make up for. So nothing special planned. I'm glad to say that we all had a very nice day yesterday. We went to the local water park for the whole day. My dad was visiting so he accompanied us and took the kids back home when they were really whacked. My wife and me had some really quality time in the big sauna area and after the quarrel of the last days we got a little closer again.
I wonder what the hidden post could be... :-)

Dessimu: Actually, you seem to be right. I also noticed same thing just now. Two replies again, one notification for the thread. You live and learn...
I guess it can't be helped as they can't link to eery reply when you click on the reply icon.

toxicTom: I can imagine that reading is rather straining for you. Books on folklore, myths, and legends? Any you can recommend? I'm currently reading on psychology but with the current book finished I'll probably be fed up with the topic for a while, and I haven't really decided yet what the next non-fiction reading will be.

I'll have to work a bit today since I skipped some hours on Friday that I have to make up for. So nothing special planned. I'm glad to say that we all had a very nice day yesterday. We went to the local water park for the whole day. My dad was visiting so he accompanied us and took the kids back home when they were really whacked. My wife and me had some really quality time in the big sauna area and after the quarrel of the last days we got a little closer again.
I have a few older books on mythology and lore, but they are quite old and out of print, but I do have a nice one called The Lore of the Land by Westwood and Simpson that I am reading which is quite interesting. It only covers England, so not really good for overall mythology of the UK as a whole. It tends to cover a lot of the original legends and mythology, not just those brought over from mainland Europe by the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings. Although some of them do bare the influence of those cultures. It splits it up into regions rather than just alphabetically, although I do have a few that do that, such as Folklore, Myths & Customs of Brian by MArc Alexander. I did just finish reading a book called The Isles of the Many Gods by David Rankine & Sorita D'Este which covers the different Pagan gods and goddesses of the British Isles. It was a bit of a let down as there is not much information, but that is not really the authors fault as there is just not a lot of recorded evidence of the smaller British gods and goddesses that have survived.

I do have a few other books on broader mythology, of Europe and other places, but it has been so long since I read them that I can't really comment on their quality.

It's good to hear you all have a nice day yesterday. I do not think I have ever actually been to a water park, but I am glad that you all had fun. And it's nice to hear you and your wife are getting closer again. Fingers crossed that things keep improving for you.
Post edited January 31, 2016 by ddickinson
toxicTom: I'm currently reading on psychology
Oh? Mind if I ask for more details?
Does 16 GB of RAM and 4 GB of video RAM seem a but much for a generic looking RTS game or it is just me?
ddickinson: Does 16 GB of RAM and 4 GB of video RAM seem a but much for a generic looking RTS game or it is just me?
Seems a bit high for anything. I think that's double the recommended requirements for The Witcher 3.
AgentBirdnest: Seems a bit high for anything. I think that's double the recommended requirements for The Witcher 3.
Ashes Of The Singularity, one of the In Development games has that for its recommended system specs. This could change once it is released, but it just seemed very high to me when Soccorro told me about it.

Edit: And good morning, Mr Agent! *big hug*

Are you feeling any better today?
zeogold: Oh? Mind if I ask for more details?
I'm reading "The Zimbardo" which is a standard reference for students. It's really just an overview over the different aspects and fields of psychology as both scientific and therapeutic field. So it's not very in-depth concerning many topic, but it's a good place to start when you're interested in the field. I don't know if there's an English version available (and under which name).
For me it isn't about learning a lot of new stuff (although I stumbled across quite a few things that I didn't know before) but about getting a top-down view and consolidating my knowledge.
My edition a little outdated, so I have to take some things with a grain of salt, but that's not a big problem.
zeogold: Oh? Mind if I ask for more details?
toxicTom: I'm reading "The Zimbardo" which is a standard reference for students. It's really just an overview over the different aspects and fields of psychology as both scientific and therapeutic field. So it's not very in-depth concerning many topic, but it's a good place to start when you're interested in the field. I don't know if there's an English version available (and under which name).
For me it isn't about learning a lot of new stuff (although I stumbled across quite a few things that I didn't know before) but about getting a top-down view and consolidating my knowledge.
My edition a little outdated, so I have to take some things with a grain of salt, but that's not a big problem.
What, you mean as in Phillip Zimbardo? As in, the Stanford Prison Experiment?
ddickinson: Ashes Of The Singularity, one of the In Development games has that for its recommended system specs. This could change once it is released, but it just seemed very high to me when Soccorro told me about it.

Edit: And good morning, Mr Agent! *big hug*

Are you feeling any better today?
Yeah, I took a look at that game the other day. It's nice to see a new RTS - it seems those are pretty rare these days. But not so nice to see those specs...

Good morning, Kinny. *bigger hug*
Unfortunately, I'm still not doing too great. A couple things are a bit better, and a couple things are worse... But at least I'm in a decent mood this morning. If I were a kitchen appliance: a dishwasher :-)
AgentBirdnest: Yeah, I took a look at that game the other day. It's nice to see a new RTS - it seems those are pretty rare these days. But not so nice to see those specs...

Good morning, Kinny. *bigger hug*
Unfortunately, I'm still not doing too great. A couple things are a bit better, and a couple things are worse... But at least I'm in a decent mood this morning. If I were a kitchen appliance: a dishwasher :-)
It is nice to see some RTS games here. That one just looks a bit generic for me, and of course the specs are way too high. It would be nice to get some of the good old RTS games, but we know that is unlikely.

Sorry to hear you are still not doing too great. But it is good that you are in a decent mood, hopefully that will help you feel better in no time. *big mega feel better soon hug*

Edit: Do I recall that you have played FTL? Did you enjoy the game?
ddickinson: It is nice to see some RTS games here. That one just looks a bit generic for me, and of course the specs are way too high. It would be nice to get some of the good old RTS games, but we know that is unlikely.

Sorry to hear you are still not doing too great. But it is good that you are in a decent mood, hopefully that will help you feel better in no time. *big mega feel better soon hug*

Edit: Do I recall that you have played FTL? Did you enjoy the game?
Yeah... I'd love to see C&C here, but I doubt EA would sell it anywhere else. It's a pretty good reason to use Origin :-(

*big thank you hug*

Yes, I've played FTL... which reminds me... *reinstalling FTL* :"|
It's a very lovely game. Quite difficult, but as the tip says at the beginning of the game, "dying is part of the fun... no, really!" But it is incredibly fun to command a ship and its crew. It's also quite addicting, so be careful :-p
AgentBirdnest: Yeah... I'd love to see C&C here, but I doubt EA would sell it anywhere else. It's a pretty good reason to use Origin :-(

*big thank you hug*

Yes, I've played FTL... which reminds me... *reinstalling FTL* :"|
It's a very lovely game. Quite difficult, but as the tip says at the beginning of the game, "dying is part of the fun... no, really!" But it is incredibly fun to command a ship and its crew. It's also quite addicting, so be careful :-p
Which is strange really, given that the older ones where given away for free at one point completely DRM-Free. They could sell the older ones as a set and still make a nice profit from them. Do they sell them on Origin now or are they still free there? I tended to prefer the earlier games over the later ones, back when they had a sense of realism to them. The later games (Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2) where fun games, but they started to get silly. The gameplay was still great though, so it made them good games. I also liked Renegade, it was fun running around the C&C world in a shooter game.

I was looking at it a while a go and figured that I have never really played many rogue-lite game and that one looks like fun. I will keep an eye out for it when it is next on sale.

*more big hugs*
Hello everyone *big tired hugs and waves*
zeogold: What, you mean as in Phillip Zimbardo? As in, the Stanford Prison Experiment?
Yeah, that one.
ElTerprise: Hello everyone *big tired hugs and waves*
*big energizing hug*
Post edited January 31, 2016 by toxicTom