It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GreenDamsel: Reuben Sandwiches are positively... American.
In general I doubt you'll find a sandwich that originated in Europe. Maybe Britain...

Rule of Thumb is: If it is bread or something with meat that can be eaten on bread: good chance it is German.
Is it related to tomatoes or pasta? It's italian.
Does it feature any amount of soft alcohol? French
Feature any amount of liquor? East-european
Was it rotten? Scandinavian.
Did the recipe read like a Lovecraftian horror tale? British
EndreWhiteMane: That's hilarious!
But we call most anything eaten on bread a 'sandwich'. :-)
The majority of the American Caucasian population comes from Germany afaik.^^ Might explain the sandwich preference.
AgentBirdnest: What is German food anyway? Hamburgers? Frankfurters? I am terrible with foreign foods :-p
Döner Kebab....

Hard to say what is "German" food. There are many regional differences. Like the region where I originate from ("Upper Lusatia") has a string influence from Bohemian cuisine. Dumplings with goulash and sauerkraut would be a common dish but also blintzes. One "traditional dish" would be "Deichelmauke" which has nothing to do with malanders, but (Abbern-)Mauke in the local dialect means mashed potatoes, and Deichel means small pond. So it's essentially a ring of mashed potatoes forming a ring, with a broth of cooked beef on the outside and a small pond of molten butter on the inside.
Thinking more about it... maybe the preference for dark bread is typical German. Most other people seem to prefer white, if they know dark bread at all.
Post edited January 29, 2016 by toxicTom
AgentBirdnest: What is German food anyway? Hamburgers? Frankfurters? I am terrible with foreign foods :-p
toxicTom: Döner Kebab....

Hard to say what is "German" food. There are many regional differences. Like the region where I originate from ("Upper Lusatia") has a string influence from Bohemian cuisine. Dumplings with goulash and sauerkraut would be a common dish but also blintzes. One "traditional dish" would be "Deichelmauke" which has nothing to do with malanders, but (Abbern-)Mauke in the local dialect means mashed potatoes, and Deichel means small pond. So it's essentially a ring of mashed potatoes forming a ring, with a broth of cooked beef on the outside and a small pond of molten butter on the inside.
Thinking more about it... maybe the preference for dark bread is typical German. Most other people seem to prefer white, if they know dark bread at all.
The German version of 'mashed potatoes and gravy', geez am I hungry now.
toxicTom: Hard to say what is "German" food.
- meat
- potatoes
- beer
Mix in varying quantities and serve while merrily doing the polka.
There's a nice addition to the catalog:
https://www.gog.com/game/tropico_5_complete_collection
Good morning/afternoon, everyone.

Hopefully you're all doing at least okay so far.
CarrionCrow: Good morning/afternoon, everyone.

Morning Crow, doing kinda shitty here but that's never stopped me before. :-)
How's yours so far? Feeling any better than yesterday?
EndreWhiteMane: There's a nice addition to the catalog:
https://www.gog.com/game/tropico_5_complete_collection
Saw that and I'm pleased that the DLC is here now. Appreciating the 66 percent off coupon, but I still want to see what's coming before I drop ten on that, though.
EndreWhiteMane: Where's that?
Thanks. That answered my question ;)

zeogold: Nah, They're too nice for anybody to try to keep 'em out.
...although they did give us Beiber. That's been a point of slight contention.
To be fair, though, we did lose the hockey game against them at the last Winter Olympics, so I suppose we have to keep him as part of the deal.
But other than that, we're good.
That's not what i meant. I wanted to ask about the "forgetting part" and Endre answered that :)
zeogold: Willy-nilly combination of one or more of the above, deep fried?
American.
AgentBirdnest: +Bacon
+Cheese
ElTerprise: That's not what i meant. I wanted to ask about the "forgetting part" and Endre answered that :)
We know it's there, but I couldn't name a single state or city or whatever there if I tried.
Unless Tim Horton's counts. That counts, right?
Post edited January 29, 2016 by zeogold
EndreWhiteMane: Morning Crow, doing kinda shitty here but that's never stopped me before. :-)
How's yours so far? Feeling any better than yesterday?
-laughs- I know what you mean.

Can't complain too much. Have to head in to the doctor in a while, never a fun thing, but I started the process so I might as well keep going with it.

Other than that, it's waking up with some loud music to get the cobwebs out. Still need to get my collection up to par. Said to hell with it yesterday, now the procrastination is bugging me.
CarrionCrow: Good morning/afternoon, everyone.

Hello Crow :)
I'm fine - what about you?

zeogold: We know it's there, but I couldn't name a single state or city or whatever there if I tried.
Unless Tim Horton's counts. That counts, right?
I guess that counts as whatever :)
zeogold: - meat
- potatoes
- beer
Ok, but Polka is not very German... ;-)

I guess the most common takeaway food would be Bratwurst, also every form of ~kraut is common with us... Krauts.
zeogold: - meat
- potatoes
- beer
toxicTom: Ok, but Polka is not very German... ;-)

I guess the most common takeaway food would be Bratwurst, also every form of ~kraut is common with us... Krauts.
Well, what can I say? As an American, I'm obligated to screw up my cultural references as well.
hey... what... Scandinavian food is rotten... wait a minute... :)
Alright I tend to eat Italian, South-East Asian, Chinese a lot... but there's some good Scandinavian food!
Like my mum's meatballs! :)

also: I ate some awesome sausages in Berlin, they really know how to make those!
Post edited January 29, 2016 by superstande