It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Well, this is just great. Got a headset with a microphone, and not only does the microphone pick up everything down to the machine gun barrage/popcorn popping at high speed/smoker's lung ragged breathing combo I've got going, I keep getting some kind of weird, almost unearthly sounding feedback.
CarrionCrow: Well, this is just great. Got a headset with a microphone, and not only does the microphone pick up everything down to the machine gun barrage/popcorn popping at high speed/smoker's lung ragged breathing combo I've got going, I keep getting some kind of weird, almost unearthly sounding feedback.
I have suffered similar problems.

There is no solution other than getting a better microphone.

The problem can be lessened (but not solved) by fiddling with your settings in mumble.
AgentBirdnest: I must be over-hyping it... Then again, no, I'm not!
I miss that style of level design. It seems like most FPS games these days are either heavily scripted and straightforward (Call of Duty), open world (Far Cry), or city-exploration style (Bioshock, Deus Ex). I miss shooters that just have levels that you can explore, that are not slightly but not too straightforward. Probably not a popular opinion, but... tant pis ;-)
Yes i can understand that.
CarrionCrow: Well, this is just great. Got a headset with a microphone, and not only does the microphone pick up everything down to the machine gun barrage/popcorn popping
I actually used to find Modern Warfare pretty atmospheric when someone on our team would open up their mic, and I could hear the sound of the machinegun fire they were taking through my headset. Now the asshole who cranked terrible music at full blast and flooded chat with it the entire time, or the ten year old who constantly talked to the snot nosed brat next to him / her, in one long breathless continuous squeaky stream...

Let's just say there's a reason I don't use Live anymore. In a way, I'm an elitist bastard. I missed the days of limited broadband access when it was a bunch of other like minded geeks and myself plotting out strategy, teamwork and BSing. When it became flooded with 10 year olds and swearing, racist whiny bigots it got old really fast.
j0ekerr: I have suffered similar problems.

There is no solution other than getting a better microphone.

The problem can be lessened (but not solved) by fiddling with your settings in mumble.
That's an issue to deal with at another time. Don't have the coin to spend 60 or 70 dollars on a higher-end model.

Hell, it was a small triumph to not purchase hard liquor while purchasing this.
NoNewTaleToTell: Random note, Giger also did some Alien-esque with the band Danzig
Didn't know that because i'm not familiar with Danzig - but i know that Giger did much more than the Alien Creature. I wish Jodorowsky had been able to make Dune....
Ixamyakxim: I actually used to find Modern Warfare pretty atmospheric when someone on our team would open up their mic, and I could hear the sound of the machinegun fire they were taking through my headset. Now the asshole who cranked terrible music at full blast and flooded chat with it the entire time, or the ten year old who constantly talked to the snot nosed brat next to him / her, in one long breathless continuous squeaky stream...

Let's just say there's a reason I don't use Live anymore. In a way, I'm an elitist bastard. I missed the days of limited broadband access when it was a bunch of other like minded geeks and myself plotting out strategy, teamwork and BSing. When it became flooded with 10 year olds and swearing, racist whiny bigots it got old really fast.
To you it's atmospheric, to him, it's a disturbing and distracting feedback.

I have a friend who refused to play with a headphone mic (because they're expensive) And insisted on playing with an ancient table microphone and speakers. When I wasn't listening to his distorted heavy breathing, I could hear myself with a 1~2 second delay which was extremely confusing.

We don't play online anymore
I need a guinea pig to test this on once I figure out how to get everything else up and running...
j0ekerr: And insisted on playing with an ancient table microphone and speakers. When I wasn't listening to his distorted heavy breathing, I could hear myself with a 1~2 second delay which was extremely confusing.
I admit this is very annoying. The constantly open mic is very much a pain in the ass. I always liked push to talk, or only open when it "heard" sound. Hopefully there are some settings to adjust or at least play with where the mic is relative to the mouth - maybe adjusting the boom to get the thing further away will prevent it from picking up breathing.
Soccorro: Giger?
ElTerprise: You were talking about Dark Seed and i found out about an adventure which has clearly the artstyle of H.R. Giger (the designer of the Alien creature from Alien for example)
ah i see :D
ElTerprise: Didn't know that because i'm not familiar with Danzig - but i know that Giger did much more than the Alien Creature. I wish Jodorowsky had been able to make Dune....
Movies about movies that never got made. Delicious irony.
ElTerprise: Didn't know that because i'm not familiar with Danzig - but i know that Giger did much more than the Alien Creature. I wish Jodorowsky had been able to make Dune....
j0ekerr: Movies about movies that never got made. Delicious irony.
I wish the movie about movies that never got made, itself never got made. How's that for a snake eating its own tail?
j0ekerr: Movies about movies that never got made. Delicious irony.
Yes i really want to see that. Especially since i watched Moebius Redux
Okay, quick question. Does anyone here have a Twitch account already set up, by chance?

Well, a Twitch account and some time to kill while I try to figure out what the sound levels are to someone listening.
Post edited August 04, 2015 by CarrionCrow
Screw it. It's now obvious that I'm going to need to spend some time figuring out how to make things work. (Assuming my internet is capable of keeping a stream from turning into a slideshow.)