It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Antimateria: Ooh nice.. Your sentence actually felt pretty good.

Edit: Telltales new episodic game. Boatloads of people who deserve plate bashing among us.
CarrionCrow: If you're referring to the Minecraft one, I agree wholeheartedly. I end up wanting to scream every time I see anything about that.
I didn't even remember about that one. It feels like all I've heard in past years is something about minecraft. Never tried it myself tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQ8sLO-vU

Here is a link to boost your morale to get trough days of hearing about minecraft.
ddickinson: Good morning!

What has caused you to have a giggle fit? :-)

I am doing okay, about the same. But at least so far no nosebleeds.
I'm getting more enjoyment out of the Victor Vran thread. It's been fun, and it's a nice break from playing Sleeping Dogs until I go loopy.

That's good at least. Certainly don't need that, and definitely not with everything else you're dealing with right now.
ddickinson: Good morning!

What has caused you to have a giggle fit? :-)

I am doing okay, about the same. But at least so far no nosebleeds.
CarrionCrow: I'm getting more enjoyment out of the Victor Vran thread. It's been fun, and it's a nice break from playing Sleeping Dogs until I go loopy.

That's good at least. Certainly don't need that, and definitely not with everything else you're dealing with right now.
You look like you could use a Pork Bun! A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man...
CarrionCrow: If you're referring to the Minecraft one, I agree wholeheartedly. I end up wanting to scream every time I see anything about that.
Antimateria: I didn't even remember about that one. It feels like all I've heard in past years is something about minecraft. Never tried it myself tough.

Here is a link to boost your morale to get trough days of hearing about minecraft.
I mention Minecraft because not only has it gotten obnoxious to keep hearing about in general, Telltale is actually making a game called Minecraft: Story Mode.
Thinking that's where I take my wallet and keep it away from them for a good long while.
CarrionCrow: I'm getting more enjoyment out of the Victor Vran thread. It's been fun, and it's a nice break from playing Sleeping Dogs until I go loopy.

Is that thread still going strong? While I understand people being worried, these small DRM things could be the start of more DRM, so I understand their concern, I do think this has been blown out of all proportion. The game itself is DRM free, it is only some free bonus content that the developer gave. I think people are just so used to game publishers/developers/stores screwing them over that they get a bit worried when these kind of things happen, especially as GOG is one of the few places still DRM-Free.

Thank you. Hopefully things will start to improve, even if only slowly. I definitely don't think I will be able to get back to work anytime soon, which is really annoying for me. But at least my partner has taken next week off work, so I will have some lovely company.
NoNewTaleToTell: You look like you could use a Pork Bun! A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man...
Given how I drive in that game, I am frankly amazed that I haven't taken a vendor out yet.

Also, your avatar reminds me of stealth missions I couldn't complete. -laughs-
CarrionCrow: I mention Minecraft because not only has it gotten obnoxious to keep hearing about in general, Telltale is actually making a game called Minecraft: Story Mode.
Thinking that's where I take my wallet and keep it away from them for a good long while.
Better to use that same mentality with Angry birds. *uses angry birds tea set.. just joking =)*
ddickinson: Is that thread still going strong? While I understand people being worried, these small DRM things could be the start of more DRM, so I understand their concern, I do think this has been blown out of all proportion. The game itself is DRM free, it is only some free bonus content that the developer gave. I think people are just so used to game publishers/developers/stores screwing them over that they get a bit worried when these kind of things happen, especially as GOG is one of the few places still DRM-Free.

Thank you. Hopefully things will start to improve, even if only slowly. I definitely don't think I will be able to get back to work anytime soon, which is really annoying for me. But at least my partner has taken next week off work, so I will have some lovely company.
Oh yeah, it's still going, little by little.

For me, it's a cheat code you have to go online to use. I don't use cheat codes, because a game with no challenge is so pointless it's not even funny, so it's a total non-issue.

The DRM thing will go back and forth, some people thinking it's nothing, some people thinking it's massive.
If they cut out any part of the game from story beginning to story end and put it behind an activation, then it's a serious issue to me. The rest is stuff I wouldn't touch regardless.

Don't worry about the work non-stop and focus on recovery. If you go out there too soon and end up in a hospital, that's not helpful.
Antimateria: I didn't even remember about that one. It feels like all I've heard in past years is something about minecraft. Never tried it myself tough.

CarrionCrow: I mention Minecraft because not only has it gotten obnoxious to keep hearing about in general, Telltale is actually making a game called Minecraft: Story Mode.
Has telltale ever made a unique game or is it all licensed stuff?
CarrionCrow: Oh yeah, it's still going, little by little.

For me, it's a cheat code you have to go online to use. I don't use cheat codes, because a game with no challenge is so pointless it's not even funny, so it's a total non-issue.

The DRM thing will go back and forth, some people thinking it's nothing, some people thinking it's massive.
If they cut out any part of the game from story beginning to story end and put it behind an activation, then it's a serious issue to me. The rest is stuff I wouldn't touch regardless.

Don't worry about the work non-stop and focus on recovery. If you go out there too soon and end up in a hospital, that's not helpful.
I agree, but as I said, I think some are just worried that GOG is getting more and more like Steam, which will eventually lead to DRM. But this is pretty much what you said, a cheat code. It does not effect or limit the game really in any way. DRM? At a big push maybe in a way, but not as far as I can see. But people have different views on what is and is not DRM. People consider CD-Keys that we used to get on games to be DRM. I never did, that was just verification, it required no internet to check the code, so nothing was stopping me playing the game as long as I don't lose the code, and as the code was usually on the box, it is not easy to lose. If you did lose it chances are you lost the game as well that was inside the box.

I have no real intention of pushing things too much, this has really taken it's toll on me and I would not want to make it worse, especially given the consequences at the moment until I am fully back to health.
Sort of an admittedly pointed question that isn't aimed at anybody in particular, but why do AAA studios get blasted for remaking/remastering games, but Spiderweb Software gets a free pass on making remakes of remakes?

The most common arguments are that "we should be glad he's making them playable on modern devices" and "it's a small studio and this is better financially". I agree, it's cool that Jeff is keeping the games up to date, but does he really need to do full on remakes (that don't really improve the graphics/sound) every time he wants to make a game playable for a new OS? And if his games (specifically new series/titles) are selling that badly and his remakes are selling that well, why doesn't he do a finally do a full on remake and cough up the money to bring the graphics and sound up to at least 2000s standards?

Eh, just some random musings.
cecil: Has telltale ever made a unique game or is it all licensed stuff?
Good question. Can't think of any offhand, so that makes me veer towards responding with no to that.
ddickinson: I agree, but as I said, I think some are just worried that GOG is getting more and more like Steam, which will eventually lead to DRM. But this is pretty much what you said, a cheat code. It does not effect or limit the game really in any way. DRM? At a big push maybe in a way, but not as far as I can see. But people have different views on what is and is not DRM. People consider CD-Keys that we used to get on games to be DRM. I never did, that was just verification, it required no internet to check the code, so nothing was stopping me playing the game as long as I don't lose the code, and as the code was usually on the box, it is not easy to lose. If you did lose it chances are you lost the game as well that was inside the box.

I have no real intention of pushing things too much, this has really taken it's toll on me and I would not want to make it worse, especially given the consequences at the moment until I am fully back to health.
The definition goes back and forth quite a bit. For me, it comes down to what I'm willing to put up with to play the games I want to play.
I buy from GOG because I can get what I want without bullshit attached.

Glad to hear it, though I'll be much happier when you're fully recovered.
NoNewTaleToTell: Sort of an admittedly pointed question that isn't aimed at anybody in particular, but why do AAA studios get blasted for remaking/remastering games, but Spiderweb Software gets a free pass on making remakes of remakes?

The most common arguments are that "we should be glad he's making them playable on modern devices" and "it's a small studio and this is better financially". I agree, it's cool that Jeff is keeping the games up to date, but does he really need to do full on remakes (that don't really improve the graphics/sound) every time he wants to make a game playable for a new OS? And if his games (specifically new series/titles) are selling that badly and his remakes are selling that well, why doesn't he do a finally do a full on remake and cough up the money to bring the graphics and sound up to at least 2000s standards?

I think a lot of people see it as the difference between having a version that works on current systems, and a version that worked perfectly well but it being rehashed because a company wants to get more sales while that earlier perfectly functional version is still around.

Can't say in terms of graphics, since I have no clue how much time and money it'd take to revamp that part of the games from the ground up.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by CarrionCrow
CarrionCrow: The definition goes back and forth quite a bit. For me, it comes down to what I'm willing to put up with to play the games I want to play.

So you mean your view on DRM could differ from mine? How dare you! :-)
But I do hate how online, people can't just have civilised discussions and different opinions without it turning into some drama. The internet just seems to breed people with one track minds who are unwilling to even listen to another persons opinion if it does not match theirs. That is probably why I never tend to get involved in any of it all, there is no point in discussing with stupid people and arrogant people. Rational people are nice to talk to, but they don't tend to be that vocal online, they are just overshadowed by the more vocal minority.

I think to me, DRM-Free means I can play the whole game without needing someones permission. I should be able to play it offline no matter what (even a one time activation is a deal breaker for me), with no real limitations, accept online multiplayer, which kind of needs the internet. And possibly most importantly of all, the game should be mine. No one should be able to take it away from me on a whim, just like all the good old fashioned physical games I own.

So would I. The pain and discomfort is very bad. I would gladly wish this on my worst enemy :-). I never understood the saying that people would not wish something on their worst enemy. Why the hell not, they are your worse enemy? Make the bugger suffer. :-)
ddickinson: So you mean your view on DRM could differ from mine? How dare you! :-)
But I do hate how online, people can't just have civilised discussions and different opinions without it turning into some drama. The internet just seems to breed people with one track minds who are unwilling to even listen to another persons opinion if it does not match theirs. That is probably why I never tend to get involved in any of it all, there is no point in discussing with stupid people and arrogant people. Rational people are nice to talk to, but they don't tend to be that vocal online, they are just overshadowed by the more vocal minority.

I think to me, DRM-Free means I can play the whole game without needing someones permission. I should be able to play it offline no matter what (even a one time activation is a deal breaker for me), with no real limitations, accept online multiplayer, which kind of needs the internet. And possibly most importantly of all, the game should be mine. No one should be able to take it away from me on a whim, just like all the good old fashioned physical games I own.

So would I. The pain and discomfort is very bad. I would gladly wish this on my worst enemy :-). I never understood the saying that people would not wish something on their worst enemy. Why the hell not, they are your worse enemy? Make the bugger suffer. :-)
Sounds like our definitions of DRM are identical, actually.
And yes, you're right. Discussion turns to debate turns to debacle very, very quickly.
That's why I'd rather have fun with it all. =)

That statement is self-congratulatory garbage. It's a lie from start to finish, or the person saying it has never been passionate enough to hate something's guts, to hate something actively, wanting it to die screaming and crying with every single second, every single breath.
cecil: Has telltale ever made a unique game or is it all licensed stuff?
CarrionCrow: Good question. Can't think of any offhand, so that makes me veer towards responding with no to that.
ddickinson: I agree, but as I said, I think some are just worried that GOG is getting more and more like Steam, which will eventually lead to DRM. But this is pretty much what you said, a cheat code. It does not effect or limit the game really in any way. DRM? At a big push maybe in a way, but not as far as I can see. But people have different views on what is and is not DRM. People consider CD-Keys that we used to get on games to be DRM. I never did, that was just verification, it required no internet to check the code, so nothing was stopping me playing the game as long as I don't lose the code, and as the code was usually on the box, it is not easy to lose. If you did lose it chances are you lost the game as well that was inside the box.

CarrionCrow: The definition goes back and forth quite a bit. For me, it comes down to what I'm willing to put up with to play the games I want to play.

NoNewTaleToTell: Sort of an admittedly pointed question that isn't aimed at anybody in particular, but why do AAA studios get blasted for remaking/remastering games, but Spiderweb Software gets a free pass on making remakes of remakes?

CarrionCrow: I think a lot of people see it as the difference between having a version that works on current systems, and a version that worked perfectly well but it being rehashed because a company wants to get more sales while that earlier perfectly functional version is still around.

Can't say in terms of graphics, since I have no clue how much time and money it'd take to revamp that part of the games from the ground up.
after minecraft telltale can do anime stuff it would probably sell well with the VN hitch...