It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ddickinson: Sometimes it can be helpful to talk.

I don't see how that will make the world a better place, I am sure all that would do is upset a lot of people at losing you. You are feeling low, that is obvious, but doing something silly will not help anyone, let alone yourself. You are still young, you have a lot of life left ahead of you and so much still to enjoy. Life is full of it's ups and down, sometimes it seems to be mainly just downs, but those up moments can make it all worth while. Please do not do anything silly, I for one would miss you if you were not here.
At least you understand why I play videogames?
In the virtual world,I matter,I'm important,I am somebody.IRL I'm nothing more than a number,a cog in the big social machine that is told what to do.
All I want is people to notice and understand me.
l0rdtr3k: At least you understand why I play videogames?
In the virtual world,I matter,I'm important,I am somebody.IRL I'm nothing more than a number,a cog in the big social machine that is told what to do.
All I want is people to notice and understand me.
I can understand why you enjoy video games, being able to escape the hardships of life and be someone else is a common thing for many people. Some do it with games, others with movies, and books as well. I know you must be going through a hard time at the moment, but that does not mean people don't notice or understand you. I am sure some won't, but not everyone will. You should just concentrate on the good things, on those who do notice you and understand you.

Did something happen today that had made you feel this way?
ddickinson: I can understand why you enjoy video games, being able to escape the hardships of life and be someone else is a common thing for many people. Some do it with games, others with movies, and books as well. I know you must be going through a hard time at the moment, but that does not mean people don't notice or understand you. I am sure some won't, but not everyone will. You should just concentrate on the good things, on those who do notice you and understand you.

Did something happen today that had made you feel this way?
I just woke up and it came to me," I haven't done anything worthwhile in my life,all I did was to sit and play videogames,read books,watch anime.What's my purpose here? I'm a financial burden to my parents,my girlfriend is slowly retreating from me,my friends are leaving to do important stuff."
I haven't grown up at all,I'm still the same old nerdy guy from high school and college.
l0rdtr3k: I just woke up and it came to me," I haven't done anything worthwhile in my life,all I did was to sit and play videogames,read books,watch anime.What's my purpose here? I'm a financial burden to my parents,my girlfriend is slowly retreating from me,my friends are leaving to do important stuff."
I haven't grown up at all,I'm still the same old nerdy guy from high school and college.
It's not to late to make changes if you want to. Why not teach yourself some new skill, try programming. If you like games why not see about learning to make them, there are plenty of free resources for that kind of stuff online? Sometimes these moments help people to see just what they want in life. Why not think about what you would like to do, and how you would go about doing it?
ddickinson: Life is full of it's ups and down, sometimes it seems to be mainly just downs, but those up moments can make it all worth while.
(This is mainly for Blob, but also anyone else who wants to listen...)
I'd go even beyond that and say that the downs are what make the ups sweeter than anything you could imagine. Every once in a while, there is an up moment that is so amazing that you want to scream "thank you" to the universe for letting you feel those bad moments, because without those, you wouldn't realize just how plucking amazing the good ones are.
I've thought some really stupid things in my life, but thank myself and whatever other forces made me change my mind everyday that I never did something stupid... because now, I wouldn't trade those down moments for anything. They made me who I am today, with my flaws and strengths, and they make me appreciate the good moments more than I could have without them.

Anyway... I don't want to get all "hippie" or anything... That's just how I live, and it works for me.
l0rdtr3k: [...]
(Quoted you just to make sure you see the above)
Post edited July 21, 2015 by AgentBirdnest
ddickinson: It's not to late to make changes if you want to. Why not teach yourself some new skill, try programming. If you like games why not see about learning to make them, there are plenty of free resources for that kind of stuff online? Sometimes these moments help people to see just what they want in life. Why not think about what you would like to do, and how you would go about doing it?
Concept art, game design and 3d animations are important aspects of video games as well, maybe even more important if you already have an engine that you can use.
Programming might be one of the most difficult tasks, especially regarding engines. Game logic itself is written fairly quickly if you have the rest in place. Physics and balancing are maybe the hardest part to do.
AgentBirdnest: (This is mainly for Blob, but also anyone else who wants to listen...)
I'd go even beyond that and say that the downs are what make the ups sweeter than anything you could imagine. Every once in a while, there is an up moment that is so amazing that you want to scream thank you to the universe for letting you feel those bad moments, because without those, you wouldn't realize just how plucking amazing the good ones are.
I've thought some really stupid things in my life, but thank myself and whatever other forces made me change my mind everyday that I never did something stupid... because now, I wouldn't trade those down moments for anything. They made me who I am today, with my flaws and strengths, and they make me appreciate the good moments more than I could have without them.

Anyway... I don't want to get all "hippie" or anything... That's just how I live, and it works for me.
Thank you for sharing that, Agent. I am sure it will mean much more coming from you and someone who has been where the little blob is at the moment. I try to offer some advice, but that kind of thing is never something I have suffered, so my help is very limited. Hopefully he will find some comforts in your words.

I think we are all pretty much fallible and flawed in one way or another, that is what makes us individuals.

GreenDamsel: Concept art, game design and 3d animations are important aspects of video games as well, maybe even more important if you already have an engine that you can use.
Programming might be one of the most difficult tasks, especially regarding engines. Game logic itself is written fairly quickly if you have the rest in place. Physics and balancing are maybe the hardest part to do.
Perhaps, but programming also had benefits in other fields as well, not just gaming. A lot of programming is object orientated, and while each language is different, there are similarities, and knowledge of programming can be used in a variety of fields. Once you have the basic knowledge it is much easier to branch out into other core programming languages. Any skill would be nice to learn, programming, concept art, etc. My point was just that it is never too late to try to learn something new if you enjoy doing it.
Post edited July 21, 2015 by ddickinson
ddickinson: Perhaps, but programming also had benefits in other fields as well, not just gaming. A lot of programming is object orientated, and while each language is different, there are similarities, and knowledge of programming can be used in a variety of fields. Once you have the basic knowledge it is much easier to branch out into other core programming languages. Any skill would be nice to learn, programming, concept art, etc. My point was just that it is never too late to try to learn something new if you enjoy doing it.
Ssshh. I have enough competition already.

Programming sucks. Don't learn how to program, people. Move on. Nothing to see here.
ElTerprise: Apparently they're having issues with the Breach & Clear release. Maybe that's causing the site issues...
ddickinson: Breaking the whole site for a single release? Seems quite bad.
Yeesh that's disappointing. Was kind of excited to see Breach and Clear on GOG.... Good thing I own it DRM free on Humble if I want to play it.
Nice service
l0rdtr3k: WHat would that accomplish?Nothing,zero,nada.
Sometimes I want to end it all.Probably will make the world a better place.
*extra big cheer up hug for little blob*
ddickinson: Good afternoon!

How are you today?
I'm fine , thank you .
l0rdtr3k: WHat would that accomplish?Nothing,zero,nada.
Sometimes I want to end it all.Probably will make the world a better place.
moonshineshadow: *extra big cheer up hug for little blob*
Hoy,

How are you?
moonshineshadow: *extra big cheer up hug for little blob*
GreenDamsel: Hoy,

How are you?
I'm doing ok, how about you?

Btw. Congrats for defending your thesis yesterday :-)
GreenDamsel: Hoy,

How are you?
moonshineshadow: I'm doing ok, how about you?

Btw. Congrats for defending your thesis yesterday :-)
Thanks!

I'm doing fine. Took half the day off today and visited my father to go sailing with him this morning. Now I'm writing the rest of the thesis again.
The heat is a lot more pleasant, when you're on the water with a nice breeze.