It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Plague: London 1665 is an RPG with pixel art graphics set in 1665's during the Bubonic Plague outbreak in overcrowded and polluted London – and it’s coming soon on GOG!

As a body collector, graveyard keeper, and family provider, avoid the disease while clearing the streets. Will you survive the outbreak or become another victim?

Wishlist it now!
GOG.com: Coming soon: Plague: London 1665
... an RPG with pixel art graphics set in 1665's during the Bubonic Plague outbreak in overcrowded and polluted London
Not my preferred style of pixel graphics. Sorry.
high rated
The graphics are about as appealing as the living conditions.
Post edited June 24, 2024 by Breja
Rules book:

#1. Never drop your plague mask.
#2. No corp is left behind.
#3. A good sleep is a must.
Breja: The graphics are about as appealing as the living conditions.
Most of them seem fine to me, I just don't know what they were thinking with those blocky character portraits.
Bubonic plague isn't my preferred style of fun, and I suspect that there aren't going to be cats in this game.

I'm leaning towards passing on this one.
Breja: The graphics are about as appealing as the living conditions.
joveian: Most of them seem fine to me, I just don't know what they were thinking with those blocky character portraits.
It's a bit hard for me to describe it, but it's like the game isn't consistently pixelated? Like some of it is, and some was smeared with the same "vaseline filter" like that Simon the Sorcerer remaster. And maybe it's just me, but there's something weird about the angles of the various "levels" of the street. Makes it look like the pavement is a wall behind the street lamps with the buildings on top of it.
Post edited June 24, 2024 by Breja
Catventurer: Bubonic plague isn't my preferred style of fun, and I suspect that there aren't going to be cats in this game.

Why not? With so many rats in these times, surely there had to be lots of cats too...
Breja:
I see what you mean on Simon but this one doesn't look that bad to me. I agree the street is off in this one.
Lone_Scout:
According to wikipedia the City Corporation thought it might have something to do with the dogs and cats and killed a bunch of them :(. Although there are dogs in the game, possibly there are some cats too.
high rated
Catventurer: Bubonic plague isn't my preferred style of fun, and I suspect that there aren't going to be cats in this game.

Lone_Scout: Why not? With so many rats in these times, surely there had to be lots of cats too...
https://www.snopes.com/news/2023/11/08/cats-mass-killings-plague/

>
According to European folklore, if a black cat crosses your path, you've run out of luck. The association between strolling felines and terrible misfortune likely comes from the tradition of the "witches' familiar," a small animal assistant, often a black cat.

But according to some social media posts, the connections between black cats and paganism run a bit deeper. These posts claim that during the Middle Ages, cats were considered Satanic and evil because of a 1233 papal decree, so Europeans rounded up cats across the continent and dispatched them in mass killings. But the cats had their revenge from beyond the grave — their pest control prowess would have led to fewer rats had their population not decreased, and in the next century or two, more cats and fewer rats could have saved people from the Black Death, the most devastating outbreak of plague in recorded history.

But as tidy as this story seems, it dates to the late-1990s rather than the mid-1200s.
<and so the story goes, a couple of pages, notably>
you might assume that people could have started killing the cats because they brought the plague. Luckily for the cat lovers out there, there’s no evidence for that either. The only notable, documented example of mass cat killing that has any semblance of truth to it is from Paris in the 1700s. In the book “The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes in French Cultural History,” American historian Robert Darnton dedicates a chapter to explaining the titular event. It had nothing to do with the bubonic plague.
Where Did This Idea Come from?

According to historian Mike Dash, like many common myths found on the internet, it originated in the late 90s or early 2000s. <<<<<<<=======
Breja:
joveian: I see what you mean on Simon but this one doesn't look that bad to me. I agree the street is off in this one.
Lone_Scout:
joveian: According to wikipedia the City Corporation thought it might have something to do with the dogs and cats and killed a bunch of them :(. Although there are dogs in the game, possibly there are some cats too.
Lone_Scout: Why not? With so many rats in these times, surely there had to be lots of cats too...
i_ni: https://www.snopes.com/news/2023/11/08/cats-mass-killings-plague/

>
According to European folklore, if a black cat crosses your path, you've run out of luck. The association between strolling felines and terrible misfortune likely comes from the tradition of the "witches' familiar," a small animal assistant, often a black cat.

But according to some social media posts, the connections between black cats and paganism run a bit deeper. These posts claim that during the Middle Ages, cats were considered Satanic and evil because of a 1233 papal decree, so Europeans rounded up cats across the continent and dispatched them in mass killings. But the cats had their revenge from beyond the grave — their pest control prowess would have led to fewer rats had their population not decreased, and in the next century or two, more cats and fewer rats could have saved people from the Black Death, the most devastating outbreak of plague in recorded history.

But as tidy as this story seems, it dates to the late-1990s rather than the mid-1200s.
<and so the story goes, a couple of pages, notably>
you might assume that people could have started killing the cats because they brought the plague. Luckily for the cat lovers out there, there’s no evidence for that either. The only notable, documented example of mass cat killing that has any semblance of truth to it is from Paris in the 1700s. In the book “The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes in French Cultural History,” American historian Robert Darnton dedicates a chapter to explaining the titular event. It had nothing to do with the bubonic plague.
Where Did This Idea Come from?

According to historian Mike Dash, like many common myths found on the internet, it originated in the late 90s or early 2000s. <<<<<<<=======
Interesting readings. Thanks for sharing! :)
Breja: And maybe it's just me, but there's something weird about the angles of the various "levels" of the street.
Makes it look like the pavement is a wall behind the street lamps with the buildings on top of it.
Yeah. The graphics really aren't great, but the "perspective" is, what really repels me most.

If you have a look at my attachment, it seems like there are four planes (A, B, C, D) you look upon.
Two of these planes are floor planes (B, D), the other two (A, C) are walls.

Or rather: in a perspectival correct drawing, (B and D) would work as floor planes and (A and C) would work as walls.

However - here only A works as an actual wall.
The other three (B, C and D) all work as floor planes.
(though D is a bit iffy...the direction, in which the cobblestones are laid (horizontal on plane C, vertical on plane D), implies another kink between C and D, but if we ignore that difference in pattern, C + D could work as one plane)

I mean: look at the street lamps, the people, the cart and the crates.

All the lamp posts, some crates and some of the people stand on plane B,
while the cart, some other crates, a body and another guy stand on plane C.
That's physically impossible.

That's almost Escher-esque.
Attachments:
You people be slackin'! ... Bring out your dead!
Breja: And maybe it's just me, but there's something weird about the angles of the various "levels" of the street.
Makes it look like the pavement is a wall behind the street lamps with the buildings on top of it.
BreOl72: Yeah. The graphics really aren't great, but the "perspective" is, what really repels me most.

If you have a look at my attachment, it seems like there are four planes (A, B, C, D) you look upon.
Two of these planes are floor planes (B, D), the other two (A, C) are walls.

Or rather: in a perspectival correct drawing, (B and D) would work as floor planes and (A and C) would work as walls.
This. That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for the visual aid.

It's like they went for the same view as Beat Cop but somehow messed it up almost beyond recognition.

(by the way, Beat Cop is a fun little game, nothing mind blowing, but well worth it at this price)
i_ni: The only notable, documented example of mass cat killing that has any semblance of truth to it is from Paris in the 1700s.
Wikipedia cites a book by a historian (in 2004) not social media posts. I could confirm that the claim does appear in the book via Google Books and the book cites CLRO (City of London Record Office), CA 70: fol. 136v; CLRO, CC 46: fol. 6or. These records don't seem to be online so I'm not sure what they say. Later in the book a specific large number of killed dogs and cats appears without citation and from searching it sees this comes from a book published in 1772 that a History Today article about dog killing calls "heavily fictionalized", although they say it wasn't uncommon at the time that dogs were killed due to disease (cats less frequently usually). I don't think Snopes is always that reliable so while they might not be strictly wrong here in that it might not be that well documented there does seem to be real evidence to suggest that it happened on some scale during the 1665 London plague (the book that wikipedia cites, which was coauthored by a microbiologist, does not make any claim that I saw that the killing of dogs and cats made the plague worse). Hard to tell if the game might include this aspect.

Sorry catventurer, hopefully you aren't checking this thread.

Breja:
I see the same issue in Beat Cop although not as strongly.
Post edited June 25, 2024 by joveian