It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready for a hardcore fantasy action-adventure where you hack and slash through a gory quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos. Blade of Darkness is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
arrua: The game has lots of final bosses and enemies in general. And they are pretty different. When it comes to normal enemies; you fight zombies and skeletons as well, and all types of golems, minotaurs...

So it is not true that there is no variety.
Mafwek: Except 90% of enemies per stage are either knights and/or orcs, with skeletons as a third group. And while it does have some variety if we consider all enemies, it's still nothing compared to game it's usually compared - Dark Souls. It does have more interesting combat system than Dark Souls though.
arrua: Well, to me, the most powerful and spectacular character is the amazon. :D

And I liked to play with the barbarian more than with the knight. And yes, the dwarf is slow, but still fun to play with.

It´s all about playing style, like in fighting games like Soul Calibur.

This game is truly unique and great. And no, is not buggy. Not the CD version at least.
Mafwek: Barbarian may be most fun character, but he is also the weakest. The Amazon and the Knight are way overpowered, with the Amazon being slightly stronger than the Knight overall, but she has some weaknesses IIRC.
90%? You are exagerating a lot . Besides, when it comes to knights, there are several types of them, each with their own fighting styles: Normal knights, zombie knights, dark knights. There are also several types of orcs: small orcs, big orcs and ogres. (That they come to my mind right now, there´s been 10 years since the last time I played the game [I have to give it another go]).

You are asking too much, I think. For a 15-20 levels long game there´s lots of variety of level themes, weapons, enemies and boss enemies; in my opinion. Heck! there´s even a final "secret" level and boss that can only be reached if all the runes are found in secret areas during the game. How many were they? Six?

And the vampire boss enemy was cool. :p
Post edited September 16, 2021 by arrua
Gudadantza: This game was launched around the same time as Rune. For non spanish videogames magazines the winner was Rune because the fight system was more straightforward, click click click and familiar gameplay and engine.
GamezRanker: Rune's combat was pretty straightforward, yes....well, except for things like lopping the tops off of zombies(the only way to keep em down in that game).
Yes. Rune had hard moments, indeed, but they could be solved with a mix of some kind of a close combat quake/unreal and click click right click. Blade of Darkness is more unique combat wise. Not the only one though.

---------------

I always perceived Blade of Darkness/Severance/Blade like the last pc spanish superproduction in videogames, following the tradition of those spanish games focused in being hardcore or pretty hard, a tradition so old as the ZX Spectrum with Abu Simbel Profanation, and the later Commandos (a squad based pacman in world war 2).

I mean that the game was more involved than others contemporaries for an AAA spanish game.
Post edited September 16, 2021 by Gudadantza
I cannot understand why or how, people nag for variety or rather, lack of it thereof. They seem to conveniently forget that other than enemy types, there are the weapons each one of them wields. Same type of enemy can be an "archer" for instance, they change weapons and try to melee if you get close and stuff like that.

The imbalance is also a lie. Barbarian, especially after getting the one and only armor for him, has always quite high defense. Right timing and you can block incoming hits with weapon occasionally, too. Amazon is fast and agile, can reach enemies from longer distance. Barbarian swings more slowly than others and can be easily interrupted, unless you learn just when to start performing your combo with what weapon. The knight isn't OP, his weapons are, because they have fast hits and quick combos; besides, certain enemies especially early can easily off him (burly orcs mostly), against which Barbarian has a laugh and Amazon doesn't even let them approach. Dwarf has to "reach" the enemy and start hitting at point blank range, which is tricky, but particularly lethal and utilizes queen sword exceptionally, since the first hit usually lands (knight almost never connects the very first of the two hits the special move unleashes).

It all comes down to timing, precision and skill. Every class can be OP, if you know how to use it well. I always "awesome" through the game, unless with Dwarf, but that is because i need to save before most jumps (he is the worst jumper).

The only real flaw of this game, is badly placed special items. Ghost Medallion in Ephyra is useless for instance and in Dal Gurak's, you find it only after having killed all poison using enemies. Or crown there, for that matter.

Last but not least, people who didn't like the story, probably skipped adventuring, reading murals, discovering the runes and watching cutscenes. Breaking into a secret room and reading a carved stone in like say, Shalatuwar, makes you trully reconsider. Or seeing all starting areas and manually connect the lore fragments. Adventuring exploration and paying heed to details, like discovering the rune underground hall in island fortress, is something you do manually anyway, so it can be obviously missed. Nice insight is also provided at world map and at a new stage's beginning. This game doesn't hold your hand, it never spoon-feeds you, you have to do everything yourself, probably that is why people tend to miss many things.
Steamisbetter: I cannot understand why or how, people nag for variety or rather, lack of it thereof. They seem to conveniently forget that other than enemy types, there are the weapons each one of them wields. Same type of enemy can be an "archer" for instance, they change weapons and try to melee if you get close and stuff like that.

The imbalance is also a lie. Barbarian, especially after getting the one and only armor for him, has always quite high defense. Right timing and you can block incoming hits with weapon occasionally, too. Amazon is fast and agile, can reach enemies from longer distance. Barbarian swings more slowly than others and can be easily interrupted, unless you learn just when to start performing your combo with what weapon. The knight isn't OP, his weapons are, because they have fast hits and quick combos; besides, certain enemies especially early can easily off him (burly orcs mostly), against which Barbarian has a laugh and Amazon doesn't even let them approach. Dwarf has to "reach" the enemy and start hitting at point blank range, which is tricky, but particularly lethal and utilizes queen sword exceptionally, since the first hit usually lands (knight almost never connects the very first of the two hits the special move unleashes).
Because for example Devil May Cry came out in roughly the same time, and had better encounter variety and better bosses. Heck, I'd say Onimusha had better encounter variety. Blade of Darkness had low variety even if counting different subtypes of knights and orcs as unique enemy.

And thank you for proving my point - the Knight and the Amazon are OP. And that's relatively easy to test since original game had/has PvP multiplayer, so get experienced Barb player against experienced Amazon and see how they fare.
low rated
KainXVIII: Zoom don't have the rights afaik.
Incorrect

As has been relayed/repeated several times(even by their official staff/people): they have the rights to sell the game for as long as they want, due to a unique deal to sell them that they made with the old rights holder(a deal which Gearbox knows about and has to honor). So unless Randy and co decide to take it to court to break off from the deal/contract, it's legal for zoom-platform to sell those games.

(also c'mon, does anyone really think Randy Pitchford and Gearbox wouldn't sue the pants off of anyone selling their IP without their say so?)
Post edited September 17, 2021 by GamezRanker
Can anyone who has an "old" version in the library tell me what version the installer is?
A screenshot of the installer's download page would also be helpful.
Loger13: Can anyone who has an "old" version in the library tell me what version the installer is?
Here you go.
Attachments:
blade.jpg (134 Kb)
Loger13: Can anyone who has an "old" version in the library tell me what version the installer is?
Melvinica: Here you go.
Thank you!
But that's only half of what I need: the installer version is not visible. I also need the name of the installer file - it has a number-version in it (looks like "setup_blade_of_darkness_x.x.x.x.exe" or something like this).
That's why I wrote these two items separately.

Anyway, thanks again for not being lazy.
@Loger13: https://www.gogdb.org/product/1207659184

edit: Installer name is setup_blade_of_darkness_2.1.0.8.exe
Post edited September 20, 2021 by russellskanne
Melvinica: Here you go.
Loger13: Thank you!
But that's only half of what I need: the installer version is not visible. I also need the name of the installer file - it has a number-version in it (looks like "setup_blade_of_darkness_x.x.x.x.exe" or something like this).

You got your answer above but here is another screenshot.
Attachments:
blade2.jpg (170 Kb)
From what I've seen and read about the game, it might be probably the only worthy contender to Die by the Sword.

Really looking forward to this.
russellskanne: @Loger13: https://www.gogdb.org/product/1207659184

edit: Installer name is setup_blade_of_darkness_2.1.0.8.exe
Loger13: Thank you!

Melvinica: You got your answer above but here is another screenshot.
Thank you both! This is it.
There's now a demo available, by the way.
mannefriedrich: There's now a demo available, by the way.
Thanks for the heads up!
Selecting anything other than English (Deutsch, español, français, italiano) from the 'Language' drop-down list in the library actually lets you download the offline back up installers of the original full version (blade_of_darkness_[language]_2.1.0.8) that was delisted back in October 2014.

Indicating that the original untouched builds (all 5 localised versions) are going to be included with the October 2021 re-release?
Attachments:
bod01.jpg (103 Kb)
Post edited October 02, 2021 by mannefriedrich