It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready for a hardcore fantasy action-adventure where you hack and slash through a gory quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos. Blade of Darkness is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Oddeus: Looks like a lot of people miss the two main selling points of this game. Let me enlighten you:

1. There is this fat orc enemy. Not the standard small orc, but the bigger one with the red skirt. You can hack off his arm together with a part of his shoulder. Additionally you can do that with his other arm, too. Now, if you are fast enough and manage to land a third strike at the same spot, before he drops dead, he loses a third arm! Yes, you read right: At the end you have an orc corpse with three arms lying around!

2. If you manage to drink a health potion in the exact moment the enemy cuts your head off, you will survive and will be able to finish the level as headless body! My girlfriend freaked out when she saw that!

What are you waiting for? Go get the game!
gamefood: Funny. Easter-eggs or bugs?
The first one is a bug, I guess. It only works with that specific enemy, providing that they haven´t patched it out in the new version.

The second one is just a matter of timing. It´s very difficult to achieve, because your character needs around three seconds to fetch the potion and drink it. So you have to foresee the killing blow, when low on health. The animation of losing your head starts a little earlier than the actual death scene. When your health bar replenishes in this little timeframe, you stay alive, but the damage on your character´s body is not reset.
But I saw this only once in twenty playthroughs.
Mafwek: battles get annoying near the end but it's okay, and unique title. Also, story sucks balls.
All battles are very enjoyable and never annoying, if you choose the right tool for the job. Some weapons have easier moves than others and fit better in the fight against specific types of enemies.

Story is very nice and creative, it mixes mythological elements from quite a few paths. The various murals and narratives, add to the overall atmosphere as well. A plus point, is that every character has a different starting area, which touches a different part of the lore, as well. That part of the game was actually very well thought of and executed!
KainXVIII: should be free for "original" owners or its a scam lol
The original owners already have it.

When GOG de-lists a game, the people who had bought it don't lose it from their library -- they can download and play it at any time.
KainXVIII: should be free for "original" owners or its a scam lol
Shadowcat: The original owners already have it.

When GOG de-lists a game, the people who had bought it don't lose it from their library -- they can download and play it at any time.
This is "remastered" version with new graphics settings and fixed for modern systems. That's the point, whether owners of original will have to pay for patch.
Still waiting for Duke Nukem
low rated
Elmofongo: Still waiting for Duke Nukem
Zoom-Platform has all of them, and cheap too
(and to those curious: yes, legal versions :))
I loved this game, but classes are very unbalanced. The knight is by far the strongest, with the highest defense rating and powerful combos; the barbarian is all about raw power and basically can't defend, combos are deadly but slow; the amazon is easy to use, very fast but also squishy; the dwarf... well. The dwarf has no reach, so I never really managed to play with him, he just gets obliterated.
This game was launched around the same time as Rune. For non spanish videogames magazines the winner was Rune because the fight system was more straightforward, click click click and familiar gameplay and engine.

About Blade of Darkness it is indeed a cult classic. Elaborate system of combos and fight system aside, this game had a lighting system, a pre shaders water reflection, and physics ahead of its time. It looked great and very realistic. Maybe the game was a bit clunky, but not too much, due to the animations and the combo system, pretty complex. But I remember it was surpringsingly smooth and a pleasure to play once you dedicated time to it. It was much more involving than Rune which was more "direct"

Amazing game, It was a day one purchase for me at the time of its physical copy.
Post edited September 16, 2021 by Gudadantza
Mafwek: battles get annoying near the end but it's okay, and unique title. Also, story sucks balls.
Steamisbetter: All battles are very enjoyable and never annoying, if you choose the right tool for the job. Some weapons have easier moves than others and fit better in the fight against specific types of enemies.

Story is very nice and creative, it mixes mythological elements from quite a few paths. The various murals and narratives, add to the overall atmosphere as well. A plus point, is that every character has a different starting area, which touches a different part of the lore, as well. That part of the game was actually very well thought of and executed!
Your subjective opinion, and I also subjectively disagree with it. And while we are at it, Vampire/Necromancer boss is annoying as well.

Also, thing which isn't just a matter opinion is that enemy variety for most stages is quite low. You are either fighting black knights or orcs and trolls, with knights using player Knight's move set, and orcs/trolls Dwarf's.
low rated
Red Fury: I loved this game, but classes are very unbalanced. The knight is by far the strongest, with the highest defense rating and powerful combos; the barbarian is all about raw power and basically can't defend, combos are deadly but slow; the amazon is easy to use, very fast but also squishy; the dwarf... well. The dwarf has no reach, so I never really managed to play with him, he just gets obliterated.
That seems more so a challenging aspect of play.....i.e. find he best way to utilize each class to make use of their strengths while compensating for their weaknesses.
Red Fury: I loved this game, but classes are very unbalanced. The knight is by far the strongest, with the highest defense rating and powerful combos; the barbarian is all about raw power and basically can't defend, combos are deadly but slow; the amazon is easy to use, very fast but also squishy; the dwarf... well. The dwarf has no reach, so I never really managed to play with him, he just gets obliterated.
I found amazon easiest and strongest because dodging ability is op when you get used to it.
low rated
Gudadantza: This game was launched around the same time as Rune. For non spanish videogames magazines the winner was Rune because the fight system was more straightforward, click click click and familiar gameplay and engine.
Rune's combat was pretty straightforward, yes....well, except for things like lopping the tops off of zombies(the only way to keep em down in that game).
Post edited September 16, 2021 by GamezRanker
Steamisbetter: All battles are very enjoyable and never annoying, if you choose the right tool for the job. Some weapons have easier moves than others and fit better in the fight against specific types of enemies.

Mafwek: Your subjective opinion, and I also subjectively disagree with it. And while we are at it, Vampire/Necromancer boss is annoying as well.

Also, thing which isn't just a matter opinion is that enemy variety for most stages is quite low. You are either fighting black knights or orcs and trolls, with knights using player Knight's move set, and orcs/trolls Dwarf's.
The game has lots of final bosses and enemies in general. And they are pretty different. When it comes to normal enemies; you fight zombies and skeletons as well, and all types of golems, minotaurs...

So it is not true that there is no variety.

Well, to me, the most powerful and spectacular character is the amazon. :D

And I liked to play with the barbarian more than with the knight. And yes, the dwarf is slow, but still fun to play with.

It´s all about playing style, like in fighting games like Soul Calibur.

This game is truly unique and great. And no, is not buggy. Not the CD version at least.
Elmofongo: Still waiting for Duke Nukem
GamezRanker: Zoom-Platform has all of them, and cheap too
(and to those curious: yes, legal versions :))
Zoom don't have the rights afaik.
arrua: The game has lots of final bosses and enemies in general. And they are pretty different. When it comes to normal enemies; you fight zombies and skeletons as well, and all types of golems, minotaurs...

So it is not true that there is no variety.
Except 90% of enemies per stage are either knights and/or orcs, with skeletons as a third group. And while it does have some variety if we consider all enemies, it's still nothing compared to game it's usually compared - Dark Souls. It does have more interesting combat system than Dark Souls though.
arrua: Well, to me, the most powerful and spectacular character is the amazon. :D

And I liked to play with the barbarian more than with the knight. And yes, the dwarf is slow, but still fun to play with.

It´s all about playing style, like in fighting games like Soul Calibur.

This game is truly unique and great. And no, is not buggy. Not the CD version at least.
Barbarian may be most fun character, but he is also the weakest. The Amazon and the Knight are way overpowered, with the Amazon being slightly stronger than the Knight overall, but she has some weaknesses IIRC.
Post edited September 16, 2021 by Mafwek