It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready for a hardcore fantasy action-adventure where you hack and slash through a gory quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos. Blade of Darkness is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Looks like a lot of people miss the two main selling points of this game. Let me enlighten you:

1. There is this fat orc enemy. Not the standard small orc, but the bigger one with the red skirt. You can hack off his arm together with a part of his shoulder. Additionally you can do that with his other arm, too. Now, if you are fast enough and manage to land a third strike at the same spot, before he drops dead, he loses a third arm! Yes, you read right: At the end you have an orc corpse with three arms lying around!

2. If you manage to drink a health potion in the exact moment the enemy cuts your head off, you will survive and will be able to finish the level as headless body! My girlfriend freaked out when she saw that!

What are you waiting for? Go get the game!
Post edited September 15, 2021 by Oddeus
low rated
Nice to see this game coming back...if it's cheap enough at launch(release discount) I might get a copy or two.
======================
Lucian_Galca: I certainly hope those who already own the game from the previous gog release get this updated version for free, as I consider this a BADLY needed fix for a game that has performance issues.
I'm hoping for at least a nice discount, and also that new purchasers will get the old version as an extra.

====

Mafwek: Effort should be awarded.
Yeah, but an appropriate amount for the amount of effort put in.

If it's a good level of effort put in, then maybe $5 tops for current owners of the old version, and $10 or so for those who don't own it yet.
Post edited September 15, 2021 by GamezRanker
Great! Now please bring Death Gate back - Shannara would be appreciated, too - thanks.
GOG.com: Get ready for a hardcore fantasy action-adventure where you hack and slash through a gory quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos. Blade of Darkness is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Holy shit, what an acquisition, it's about bloody time, as my boxed version no longer works with my system!

Insta-fuckin'-buy!

Oddeus: What are you waiting for? Go get the game!
As soon as it comes out, you bet your ass I will!
Post edited September 15, 2021 by TZODnmr2k5
Once again, no German audio. Seems like many publishers on GoG hate Germany ;(

I don't mind to play new games in English, but there are many classics I played in German back in the day. Since voice acting is especially memorable in older games, being able to play the game in the same language as back then is very important for nostalgia.
Does german bureaucracy and laws impact the efforts to get licences for German audio more than any other language (general question, not only this game)?

AFAIK german audio was available in the first release of Severance: Blade of Darkness on GoG a few years ago.
It may be merely a name confusion, since the only version that has German audio is called Severance!

I guess GoG is only the retailer on this version and not responsible for any changes on the game.
This means the publisher SNEG is the one who "decided" against German voice acting. But I never heard them before and did not find a homepage with email or forum.
Can someone from GoG please ask them about the missing German audio?
Post edited September 15, 2021 by Rhyney
3d blades of vengeance YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA
Why is this Win 10 only? Shouldn't all oldies still support Win 7 and 8.1?
Green_Hilltop: Why is this Win 10 only? Shouldn't all oldies still support Win 7 and 8.1?
You often have to choose between keeping legacy compatibility vs making the game work on the latest OS. I've encountered it many times, where a game from GOG originally released around the time of Windows XP did not work on Windows XP while my retail box version of the same game still worked fine due to the modifications GOG has made to make it run on latest systems.

But I personally think that we're still in a time frame where not listing Windows 7 or 8 in the supported OSes does not mean it won't run, but they will eventually reach the same spot Windows XP currently sits at in several years.
Post edited September 15, 2021 by idbeholdME
well.. I pass.
I played this game, back in the days and yes it's a rather pleasant game, but... but everything changes with time.

It's a little bit too repetitive but the graphics were pretty good.

I still have a bad feeling regarding the camera and the bugs.. oh my.. the bugs.
I don't know if you can do Something about those bugs... it would be great !
Why no one put a video. I had to find the gameplay video myself.
Green_Hilltop: Why is this Win 10 only? Shouldn't all oldies still support Win 7 and 8.1?
idbeholdME: You often have to choose between keeping legacy compatibility vs making the game work on the latest OS. I've encountered it many times, where a game from GOG originally released around the time of Windows XP did not work on Windows XP while my retail box version of the same game still worked fine due to the modifications GOG has made to make it run on latest systems.

But I personally think that we're still in a time frame where not listing Windows 7 or 8 in the supported OSes does not mean it won't run, but they will eventually reach the same spot Windows XP currently sits at in several years.
Windows 7 still has a huge userbase, so I'm surprised they don't support it officially. I'm aware that many games that don't list W7 can still run on it.
Post edited September 15, 2021 by Green_Hilltop
kai2: Is it updated?

Reading the game's page, it mentions nothing about updates (other than the presumed running on modern systems).
Swedrami: Bloody-disgusting.com's article on the October re-release mentions "widescreen support for up to 4K resolution, as well as new display settings, and overall stability improvements".
Thanks!

Now my only question is...

... will all of those mods work (or be needed) on this edition?
Oddeus: Looks like a lot of people miss the two main selling points of this game. Let me enlighten you:

1. There is this fat orc enemy. Not the standard small orc, but the bigger one with the red skirt. You can hack off his arm together with a part of his shoulder. Additionally you can do that with his other arm, too. Now, if you are fast enough and manage to land a third strike at the same spot, before he drops dead, he loses a third arm! Yes, you read right: At the end you have an orc corpse with three arms lying around!

2. If you manage to drink a health potion in the exact moment the enemy cuts your head off, you will survive and will be able to finish the level as headless body! My girlfriend freaked out when she saw that!

What are you waiting for? Go get the game!
Funny. Easter-eggs or bugs?
Steamisbetter: What is wrong with old games and of that time period?
Darvond: You'd be surprised how many games from that era have aged poorly or how modernity has rendered them as complete clunkfests. You ever try to play Sonic Adventure recently?
Meh, (Severance:) Blade of Darkness is clunky, but not extremely clunky. Despite what some might say, it's not Souls-like but hybrid of old Tomb Raider games and beat 'em ups. It has unique fighting system with special moves and four different characters. It's unbalanced for multiplayer, and battles get annoying near the end but it's okay, and unique title. Also, story sucks balls.
low rated
Rhyney: Once again, no German audio. Seems like many publishers on GoG hate Germany ;(

I don't mind to play new games in English, but there are many classics I played in German back in the day. Since voice acting is especially memorable in older games, being able to play the game in the same language as back then is very important for nostalgia.

Does german bureaucracy and laws impact the efforts to get licences for German audio more than any other language (general question, not only this game)?
Sometimes, different language versions of some games are owned by totally different rights holders. GOG can sadly only sell the language versions their partner can legally provide.

====

Officially, they(GOG/etc) only support Win10 for this game(and possibly some others), but it should(key word) work on other OSs like Win7 as well.
(i'm guessing one can always buy to test on their system, and refund if needed)
Post edited September 16, 2021 by GamezRanker