It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In joint efforts with the original creators, Capcom, we’re thrilled to announce the re-release of the original Resident Evil™, the groundbreaking series that heralded the golden age of the survival horror genre!

This iconic classic is now available with all its original content intact, featuring quality of life improvements and enhanced compatibility for modern systems. As part of GOG’s ongoing effort to protect and preserve classic games, Resident Evil is now available on the DRM-free GOG store!

Capcom's Resident Evil series has defined and revolutionized the survival horror genre, with the original Resident Evil, Resident Evil™ 2, and Resident Evil™ 3: Nemesis being standout titles that have captivated gamers worldwide. While Resident Evil set the stage, introducing players to the eerie Spencer Mansion and navigating them through terrifying encounters and intricate puzzles, its atmospheric tension and innovative gameplay mechanics laid the foundation for the series' success. Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis successfully expanded the universe, delivering unforgettable experiences that deepened the franchise's lore and horror elements.

That’s not all, though – for the complete Resident Evil experience, we decided to invite someone special to tell us something more about the series. It’s Suzi Hunter, also known as TheSphereHunter! In an exclusive video, Suzi will introduce the history of the franchise and tell the story of its originals’ revival, while interviewing some of the most interesting figures that took part in the process – including GOG’s very own Technical Producer, Adam Ziółkowski, as well as Head of Business Development, Bartosz Kwietniewski. The video will go live soon, and you’ll be able to watch it HERE – so stay tuned!

That being said – Resident Evil is now live on GOG, DRM-free! You can also wishlist Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, or pre-purchase them alongside Resident Evil in a special Bundle – you wouldn’t want to miss this occasion!
Tarhiel: I know about those, but it´s not the same as having a proper remaster, legally available with all the quirks and QoL improvements.
JacobSlatter: If proper means paying a hefty pricetag for games I already own, i'd rather stick with the originals and some community fixes.
If hefty means paying 20-30 dollars for lot of improvements and non-trivial work over originals, I´d gladly pay for that.
I'm happy to see Capcom release the OG RE games . But what convinced and/or motivated them to release them on GOG of all places?
I actually prefer the remakes and new Resident Evil games
Crosmando: I think what I liked so much about RE1-3 is the eerieness and atmosphere of these abandoned environments, places that you'd typically see bustling with people being empty. The Police Station, Clock Tower etc.
Syphon72: Another thing is, the soundtracks were top-tier, providing a chilling, lonely, and dangerous atmosphere..

The ambient sounds also add big part to atmosphere.
110% true. The music made RE 1,2 & 3 stand head and shoulders above the crowd. Like the Silent Hills, "Hexen" and "Descent" IMO.

Pelviss: I actually prefer the remakes and new Resident Evil games
So no real issues with bugs, teething troubles, missing content etc?
Post edited June 27, 2024 by JMayer70
M3troid: A bug, maybe?

Less than R$ 1 for me it's not even a discount.
Xeshra: It is less than 1 CHF for me as well, although it has been "rounded down". 28.50 is full price (3x 9.50) and they made 27.99... which is most likely on purpose, because it is a different price but close to no price cut.

I am not in charge so i can only guess... same as you. I dunno why it has been made like this... no official statement so far. In my mind, usually the publisher is handling prices, although, as far as i known GoG was kinda doing "co-work" on publishing this title, so they may have "a say" on this.

No interest creating waves... but there is surely no understanding, because simply "out of any logics".
Oh I am definitely interested in making waves. I've been begging GOG to add regional pricing to EA games for years now. That's the only reason I buy games here, they're priced fairly.

Seeing this BS makes me mad. But it's Capcom, those assholes price everything 10-20% higher in Mexico on Steam. Bleh.
Xeshra: It is less than 1 CHF for me as well, although it has been "rounded down". 28.50 is full price (3x 9.50) and they made 27.99... which is most likely on purpose, because it is a different price but close to no price cut.

I am not in charge so i can only guess... same as you. I dunno why it has been made like this... no official statement so far. In my mind, usually the publisher is handling prices, although, as far as i known GoG was kinda doing "co-work" on publishing this title, so they may have "a say" on this.

No interest creating waves... but there is surely no understanding, because simply "out of any logics".
Foxhack: Oh I am definitely interested in making waves. I've been begging GOG to add regional pricing to EA games for years now. That's the only reason I buy games here, they're priced fairly.

Seeing this BS makes me mad. But it's Capcom, those assholes price everything 10-20% higher in Mexico on Steam. Bleh.
And the review pages are dodgy. All those trash 5-star reviews, all upvoted to buggery, well notice how 75% of them are actually from users that have NOT bought it here on GOG?

GOG! Fix your corrupt reviews plz!!!!!!! (At least only allow verified owners to actually review? Not too heretical is it?)

Just sayin :D
Out of money that actually exists money can be created that does NOT exist. Same with reviews; out of the reviews that actually exists even more reviews out of the true ones can be created. In the end it will become the same and we have "inflation". It is fully legal as long as the ones in charge, sometimes self proclaimed and sometimes passed down from "upwards"... kinda like a blessing, are settings up those rules.

Foxhack: Oh I am definitely interested in making waves. I've been begging GOG to add regional pricing to EA games for years now. That's the only reason I buy games here, they're priced fairly.
You think they enjoy "beggars"? Just asking... because the evidence is not working toward your favor.

Usually, the thing that is well respected is a very huge stick with a very high torque and a lot of PS... i mean... human power units, HPU, behind.

Traditionally, GoG was not really in favor of "regional pricing" because... a lot of years ago... they had in mind to treat everyone fair and handing out a "fair price package". This is over for countless of years already, and nowadays the publishers are almost entirely in charge of the "regional pricing". GoG is allowing it and CDPR, the mother company... actually even in favor of it, because it has been proven to them... it seems to work "best" for the coins. However, other platforms are still more friendly to regional pricing and "fair treatment" is always a relative term, it depends on the own position... and may benefit some people and others rather not. For the industry, the only thing that matters is "the way of more coins", not hard to guess.
Post edited June 27, 2024 by Xeshra
Thanks gog, YOU ARE THE BEST!
viperfdl: How good are the mouse and keyboard controls?
CMiq: Since it's tank controls they're very serviceable. In order to use the mouse buttons you'd need to tinker around a bit more, with AutoHotkey, for example.
So it's more of a keyboard only game. I can live with that.
Suddenly Resident Evil. Not that I'm complaining, mind, but I did sort of expect to never see Capcom again, considering we've heard nothing from them since the relleases of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and Street Fighter Alpha 2 seemingly forever ago (it has to have been a decade at this point!). What got them back to the table? And will they be here more frequently, or is it going to be another decade before they deign to pop up?

I'm really hoping we see more out of the company. Dino Crisis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Bionic Commando: Rearmed... Could we even see RE 5 and the remakes here one day?
CMiq: Since it's tank controls they're very serviceable. In order to use the mouse buttons you'd need to tinker around a bit more, with AutoHotkey, for example.
viperfdl: So it's more of a keyboard only game. I can live with that.
RE1 was originally designed with the the PS1 controller in mind, so tank controls for this kind of game made perfect sense at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it still played better on a modern gamepad than on a keyboard. *shrug* Hell, I found the Tomb Raider trilogy remaster tank controls more comfortable on a gamepad, and I played the original games with keyboard before then.
Post edited June 28, 2024 by P-E-S
P-E-S: RE1 was originally designed with the the PS1 controller in mind, so tank controls for this kind of game made perfect sense at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it still played better on a modern gamepad than on a keyboard. *shrug* Hell, I found the Tomb Raider trilogy remaster tank controls more comfortable on a gamepad, and I played the original games with keyboard before then.
RE1 was designed with a gamepad in mind, though it was digital-only pad at that time, so pretty much a keyboard with different ergonomics. Director's cut on ps1 was the late version which supported analogue sticks and rumble of then brand new dualshock pad, but had a completely different soundtrack and came out just a couple of months before the release of RE2.
Do we know the release window for 2 and 3 yet?
bikkurin: Do we know the release window for 2 and 3 yet?
"Both titles are planned to be released within 2024." https://www.gog.com/de/game/resident_evil_bundle
bikkurin: Do we know the release window for 2 and 3 yet?
In TheSphereHunter video released alongside this she states she played both Resident Evil 1 and 2 so the second game should not be too far off, an estimated guess would be August for RE2 and then they could release RE3 in October to coincide with Halloween,(every other month essentially).

Again this is just speculating but finishing off the release of these games by Halloween would make for a good theme.