It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In joint efforts with the original creators, Capcom, we’re thrilled to announce the re-release of the original Resident Evil™, the groundbreaking series that heralded the golden age of the survival horror genre!

This iconic classic is now available with all its original content intact, featuring quality of life improvements and enhanced compatibility for modern systems. As part of GOG’s ongoing effort to protect and preserve classic games, Resident Evil is now available on the DRM-free GOG store!

Capcom's Resident Evil series has defined and revolutionized the survival horror genre, with the original Resident Evil, Resident Evil™ 2, and Resident Evil™ 3: Nemesis being standout titles that have captivated gamers worldwide. While Resident Evil set the stage, introducing players to the eerie Spencer Mansion and navigating them through terrifying encounters and intricate puzzles, its atmospheric tension and innovative gameplay mechanics laid the foundation for the series' success. Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis successfully expanded the universe, delivering unforgettable experiences that deepened the franchise's lore and horror elements.

That’s not all, though – for the complete Resident Evil experience, we decided to invite someone special to tell us something more about the series. It’s Suzi Hunter, also known as TheSphereHunter! In an exclusive video, Suzi will introduce the history of the franchise and tell the story of its originals’ revival, while interviewing some of the most interesting figures that took part in the process – including GOG’s very own Technical Producer, Adam Ziółkowski, as well as Head of Business Development, Bartosz Kwietniewski. The video will go live soon, and you’ll be able to watch it HERE – so stay tuned!

That being said – Resident Evil is now live on GOG, DRM-free! You can also wishlist Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, or pre-purchase them alongside Resident Evil in a special Bundle – you wouldn’t want to miss this occasion!
If these versions are the same as Sourcenext it will be perfect
Shevard100: If these versions are the same as Sourcenext it will be perfect
I do not think so, the Sourcenext versions are Japanese only I believe.
I'm assuming that's what they're based on.
Huh. Can't say I saw this happening.

I'm torn on these releases though as 1. Capcom was notoriously bad at PC ports all the way up until the PS360 era and I'm tentative to even check these ones out knowing this, and 2. I don't trust Capcom to not have nigh-impossible sales expectations for these and to not disappear again just like they did the last time they gave half-assed support to GOG when they aren't met.

There are loads of more recent Capcom games I'd buy instantly if this company would stop being so stupid.

Wonder if they'll even remember to fix Dragon's Dogma on here...
I didn't expect this. I must eat my words where I said in another thread that this wouldn't happen. I apologize for doing that since I was wrong.

On a different note, this begs the question: why doesn't GOG "join forces" with Capcom in order finally to stop the GOG version of Dragon's Dogma from being a broken, obsolete version, like it has been for eons?

That's very irresponsible on GOG's part to allow additional games to be released on GOG from a publisher that can't be bothered to fix an outdated & broken GOG version of another game.

If Capcom won't fix this problem, then the GOG devs should do it themselves.

Also, Resident Evil 1 on St*** has Achievements (I'm not sure if it's the exact same version as this "new" GOG version, but either way, the GOG version should have them too), so why doesn't the GOG version have the equivalent Galaxy Achievements?
I had dream about this before.
Foxhack: I'm assuming that's what they're based on.
I hope so. Then we can use the mod if wanted.
Post edited June 26, 2024 by Syphon72
It isn't the SourceNext versions.
BenTheMan_DE: It isn't the SourceNext version.
Well, if it runs on modern hardware, I'm okay with having a working none source next version.
I don't think the Resident Evil on GOG are necessarily the Sourcenext versions. But anyone who bought the first (RE1) one will know if they are or not. First of all, the Sourcenext versions are a little bit heavier (intro videos and so on have better quality), among other tweaks. In any case, and because of the weight of RE1, it is the original version (for Windows 95) of Capcom's title. And, in my case, that's much appreciated. I prefer the original (untouched) versions.
I'm really glad that the GOG user reviews are pointing out lots of things that are wrong with this release, like missing content from the Director's Cut, and bad sound quality, etc.

Why isn't this GOG release including everything, and also fixing all of these problems?

GOG seems to be presenting this release as if it's the ultimate release of these games, but according to user reviews, that's very much not so.

So why didn't GOG make this version be the best one definitively, with no missing content, and no technical issues?
If anyone is having trouble using a PS4 controller, I used JoyToKey to map the buttons.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I'm really glad that the GOG user reviews are pointing out lots of things that are wrong with this release, like missing content from the Director's Cut, and bad sound quality, etc.

Why isn't this GOG release including everything, and also fixing all of these problems?

GOG seems to be presenting this release as if it's the ultimate release of these games, but according to user reviews, that's very much not so.

So why didn't GOG make this version be the best one definitively, with no missing content and no technical issues?
Because the version that was released on PC with everything included was the sourceNext version. Which is Japanese only. You would know the West never got DC Port to PC.

CAPCOM is probably the deciding factor on what version GOG could release on their store.
toothworm: Children use this website.
Children aren't allowed to use this website. Read the smallprint.
ReynardFox: Huh. Can't say I saw this happening.

I'm torn on these releases though as 1. Capcom was notoriously bad at PC ports all the way up until the PS360 era and I'm tentative to even check these ones out knowing this, and 2. I don't trust Capcom to not have nigh-impossible sales expectations for these and to not disappear again just like they did the last time they gave half-assed support to GOG when they aren't met.

There are loads of more recent Capcom games I'd buy instantly if this company would stop being so stupid.

Wonder if they'll even remember to fix Dragon's Dogma on here...
I may be missing (or misreading) something, but doesn't it seem from the Q&A that Swedrami posted that GOG did the porting?

Maybe someone can clarify that.
Ah, neat. I was recently playing the Classic REbirth version. Hopefully these releases are compatible with those.